Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.04.27, 08:25 AM   #11
ophy

ophy pleased at least somebody

I think you, Glathannus, are the only other person I've ever known to be as in love with Xenogears as myself. I came to it very late, only scoring it just last year off of amazon for a mere 15 bucks (most of the time it's upwards of 45).

I still have yet to complete the second disc because of various issues, but it simply has one of THE greatest soundtracks I've ever heard for anything EVER. The music box theme/promise is the ringtone of my cellphone.

It's a freaking amazing amazing amazing game. And square makes me want to vagina punch them because of all the shit they pulled with it.
Old 2008.04.27, 09:18 AM   #12
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ophy View Post
I think you, Glathannus, are the only other person I've ever known to be as in love with Xenogears as myself. I came to it very late, only scoring it just last year off of amazon for a mere 15 bucks (most of the time it's upwards of 45).

I still have yet to complete the second disc because of various issues, but it simply has one of THE greatest soundtracks I've ever heard for anything EVER. The music box theme/promise is the ringtone of my cellphone.

It's a freaking amazing amazing amazing game. And square makes me want to vagina punch them because of all the shit they pulled with it.
Oh! you didn't completed it yet! Then you can expect to be blown away by the rest of the story...
This could have been the best franchise of all times...

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.27, 06:01 PM   #13
ophy

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Oh! you didn't completed it yet! Then you can expect to be blown away by the rest of the story...
This could have been the best franchise of all times...
I agree. It truly could have been the best. Final Fantasy is, generally, mediocre in comparison to this ONE only partially completed game. =/
Old 2008.04.27, 06:27 PM   #14
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

When you're closer to the end of the game and you have world map access again, the game is a lot more satisfying again, even before you've beaten it. When you finally discover why the game is called Xenogears, that particular moment is serious fucking business.

By the way, who are your favorite character(s), aside from Fei?

I think Citan has the most notable backstory, and yet despite all his experiences and associations, he's not too hardass to have a family. In gameplay, he always has more hitpoints than Fei at the same level, he takes turns the fastest, and he's very useful for utility, even if not the absolute best. Give him the rare item from Wiseman's stash so you deal proportionately extra attack damage, the lower your hitpoints are compared to your maximum. Combine that with the turntaking speed (and a certain conversation he has with his wife), Citan becomes the most badass motherfucker on the planet, short of Grahf himself. Citan is more than just the Kato of Xenogears - he is the coolest sidekick you will ever have in an RPG.
Old 2008.04.28, 02:08 PM   #15
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by ophy View Post

And square makes me want to vagina punch them because of all the shit they pulled with it.
Greatest quote of april for me. I am stealing vagina punch, oh the laughter oh the laughter. Sorry for the worthless post though, but had to let it be known I was stealing the word.

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.04, 08:31 AM   #16
ophy

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
When you're closer to the end of the game and you have world map access again, the game is a lot more satisfying again, even before you've beaten it. When you finally discover why the game is called Xenogears, that particular moment is serious fucking business.

By the way, who are your favorite character(s), aside from Fei?

I think Citan has the most notable backstory, and yet despite all his experiences and associations, he's not too hardass to have a family. In gameplay, he always has more hitpoints than Fei at the same level, he takes turns the fastest, and he's very useful for utility, even if not the absolute best. Give him the rare item from Wiseman's stash so you deal proportionately extra attack damage, the lower your hitpoints are compared to your maximum. Combine that with the turntaking speed (and a certain conversation he has with his wife), Citan becomes the most badass motherfucker on the planet, short of Grahf himself. Citan is more than just the Kato of Xenogears - he is the coolest sidekick you will ever have in an RPG.
Oh, Oh. I look forward to getting out of the 'story telling' mode, then, if that means I can run around the map. Hehe.

I haven't truly played that game in such a damn long time. College keeps eating away at my gaming time. Bah. But I agree with you. From what I can remember, Citan was damned awesome. I think I liked him more than Fei. Heh. Well, I'll talk more and contribute to the thread more substantially once I start playing again.
Old 2008.05.05, 11:46 AM   #17
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I think sometime in the near future, I'd like to revisit Xenogears for a completionist session. Collect all the rare/limited items I could've got on previous playthroughs, but didn't. My endgame crew is already more powerful than they need to be, but sometimes I wish I had the Tag Badge, and more than one EtherDoubler.

I'm secure enough with my gears that I can hang around the final dungeon (before the last of the one-way descents) for as long as I'd like, then dump all the profits into Citan's attack (if you've visited the lighthouse in late game then you know what I'm talking about), and equip him only with speed items (no armor), so he'll take 4-5 turns in a row, rack up 24 combo points, and destroy a not-so-endgame gear (while Citan isn't in a gear), before the rest of my party has even done anything! I would wander around the final dungeon on foot, if I invested more into Citan, and if the game would actually let you go gearless in the final dungeon.

But what's the point of investing so much into my endgame, if I slacked off early game, and missed out on some items I can never get again? Granted, these items won't change the fact that my crew can already comfortably approach the final boss without taking care of the mini-bosses first, but if I'm going to put more than 60 hours into a game, I should have maximized every opportunity available, from beginning to end, instead of just the end.

I'll post updates, if/when I get around to that. My brother recently tried to win the rock/paper/scissors mini-game 5 consecutive times, and gave up after an hour.