Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.11.24, 06:06 AM   #111
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

How hard is the Bonus dungeon in Final Fantasy V advance every step leads to a solid encounter and the place goes on for years half the routes are dead end with no save point which makes you feel like crying given the rate of enemy fights and the severity of them too! I finally beat Neo Shinryu after what felt like years of trying and also beat Enuo as well to complete the dungeon! I skipped the encounter with all the Omega robots cause they were just taking the piss with that given the scarcity of save points about the place

The Dragon's Den bonus dungeon in VI Advance was more acceptable even though it was a bit of a maze in it's own right! but the 100 battle Soul Shrine was great with decent weaponry rewards for victory.

I like bonus dungeons like this but I hate it when they ramp the difficulty up to the extreme with no real thought for the player, putting you against monsters who can only be overcome if you know a specific team setup by chance and if you don't YOU DIE!!!! (repeatedly).
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.05, 07:33 PM   #112
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

gamestop gave me silent hill shattered memories today, it seems there is no official street date on the title and most stores that have it are just lifting the embargo and handing them out. I got the game and the preorder bonus, which is the games OST, to boot. I'm a happy happy camper right now.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.06, 05:43 AM   #113
the fox

the fox has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Ohhh nice! How is it? Speaking of Silent Hill, I recently read that Yamaoka has left Konami. Interesting to see what comes of this...

I started Half-Life 2 over again a few nights ago. It's still immensely enjoyable. I've been balancing between that and Yakuza 2 lately.

Last edited by the fox : 2009.12.06 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo
the fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.06, 08:02 AM   #114
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Psh. No stores in my area are selling it before the street date. I know. I called them all. Lame. Also, nothing will come from Yamaoka leaving Konami. Many game composers have gone independent in recent years, but the still work on the games that made them famous.
Old 2009.12.06, 09:45 AM   #115
the fox

Yeah, that's true. It really isn't that surprising considering, as you said, a lot of his peers have gone the same route recently. I'm excited to see what he does next. I guess I mentioned it because, starting with SH3 he took on a larger role as producer. Then again, even that won't change much now that I think about it, considering the last few games were more and more in the hands of Climax. So yeah, I agree. heh.
Old 2009.12.06, 11:25 AM   #116
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I finished Dragon Age Origins after 80 hours. Bioware raised the bar so high, that common RPGs wouldn't even be able to spot it without binoculars. Can't really get myself to play anything else right now, I just want to start over.
But I'll try The Witcher now.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.06, 01:05 PM   #117
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Psh. No stores in my area are selling it before the street date. I know. I called them all. Lame. Also, nothing will come from Yamaoka leaving Konami. Many game composers have gone independent in recent years, but the still work on the games that made them famous.
the two stores in my area are battling each other. I went to one and pre-ordered it, they gave me the OST and told me the game was out the 8th. I called the other one and asked if they had it in stock, the guy said yes and put it on the side for me. I went and got the game there and he couldn't find any OSTs laying around so I told him it was fine cuz when I cancel my preorder at the other store I won't mention the OST. So I went and cancelled my preorder and they didn't ask about the OST. The woman was also confused as to why they were being allowed to sell it. Turns out the game doesn't have an official street date, gamestops dec. 8th date is a self assigned date, and copies of the game are coming in unlabeled boxes, meaning stores and opening them and selling them as they come. The problem is that usually the register rings up a don't sell until 12/8 warning sign but most stores are ignoring it. Best Buy and Target should already be putting them out too, but like I mentioned, if you go to Gamestop they have the OST with preorders (they will probably give it to you if you ask in case you didn't pre-order).

as for the game itself, I just got to the first Nightmare and died about 8 times in a row. As you may know there is no combat in the game and it plays completely scripted, as in, the monsters/nightmare sequences occur at predetermined points and in that sense the feeling of dread/fear isn't as high in silent hill games, but man, the Nightmare sequences are crazy difficult. So far I'm liking it but I'm not so far in yet.
Old 2009.12.06, 03:47 PM   #118
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Best Buy and Target were my first choices. They flat out told they weren't selling it until the 8th. My area sucks. Not like it matters though since I can't play until finals are over on Wednesday anyway.
Old 2009.12.06, 06:09 PM   #119
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Best Buy and Target were my first choices. They flat out told they weren't selling it until the 8th. My area sucks. Not like it matters though since I can't play until finals are over on Wednesday anyway.
where do you live? today I went back to the gamestop that sold me my copy and asked if I could have the OST since when I picked it up yesterday the guy working couldn't find where they were hidden. The guy flat out gave it to me, without asking for the receipt or anything. So now I have two copies of the OST. Why did I do it? The OST isn't going to be released anywhere else at the moment. The OST for SH Homecoming still hasn't been released in Japan, and so its looking more and more like the only way to get a copy for Shattered Memories is to get the promo, which is the same 21 track OST which was sent out as promo earlier. Origins got an official OST sold through Konami's site in japan, but the music is increasingly harder to get, so I figured it was a good opportunity.

The 4 vocal tracks are all really really good but only a handful of the instrumentals are worth the attention of multiple listens, a lot of it is is background ambience and noise to provide the atmosphere while playing the game.

I haven't played the game anymore but from what I've read it is relatively short, being about 6-8 hours for a regular gamer. Because of the way it was designed you eventually loose the feeling of dread or fear because you come to see that your only ever in true danger when the Ice Nightmare starts, otherwise your running around a lonely/haunted house type of abandoned world doing various things, but since there aren't any monsters to pop out until you the Nightmare starts, you aren't constantly feeling the dread that you do in other games.

The Nightmare themselves are truly terrifying. I mean, I died about 8 times while playing the first one and from what I read it is relatively linear, whereas the further you get the worse they get, so by the end you have to accomplish tasks while running. Its really quite hard, you can't do anything but run, and often times you have to check your map on your cell phone, and the monsters don't stop, if you stop to take a second they will catch up, and once they latch on two or three more will come running and your pretty much fucked.

as far as the graphics go, easily the best looking game on Wii so far. The flashlight is frigging amazing and the water effects are astounding.

the only downside to selling early is that a lot of the stores are already out of stock. I'm not sure if Konami is unsure about the game's performance, but judging from the lack of promotion leading up to the new release date, I think this will be a low-stocked item at first. If it turns out to be a surprise hit (which it might since a lot of the stores selling it early will prompt higher sales figures, a lot of stores are out of stock because of it) they will probably try and pump more out for the holidays, but if your serious about snagging a copy I'd make sure you find a store that isn't selling it until the release date and either pre-order it or get their word that they are getting it out on the 8th. The gamestop I bought mine at as well as the local target/best buys are all sold out.
Old 2009.12.06, 11:27 PM   #120
the fox

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the rundown.