Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.02.14, 07:44 AM   #311
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by baruga View Post
I don't like the song that much either, but that's so trollishly ignorant it kinda isn't even funny. Makes your other more educated opinions of their songs suffer a bit from it.
I could type out a lengthy way to explain how the songs repetitiveness and lack of twists or general excitement are detrimental to the song. Along with that and the fact it is not only generic as well, but that she has done far better showtunes before expresses my dissatisfaction. My opinion couldn't be less ignorant, as I heard the same god damn song everyone else did. This time I just thought I'd trade the paragraph for a single statment that said the same thing.

Brevity is the soul of wit. Except when you're trying to be negative I guess, huh?
Old 2011.02.14, 07:46 AM   #312
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

It's one thing for Blankey Jet City to throw in a piano or some horns during a time when Asai Kenichi didn't (yet) have any other outlets for his songwriting, but Shiina Ringo has always had another outlet if she ever felt restricted by the small band template. Adult stretched things a bit (with a guest trumpeter from SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS), but this latest song has gone even further. Whether you love or hate the big band jazz template, you have to admit it would have made a lot more sense to release this sort of thing as a solo-career song.

I understand that with Hata's recent mistake being publicly known, the single's release has to be delayed or canceled (especially in a country like Japan) - but what I don't understand is why this ever had to be a "Tokyo Jihen" song to begin with.
Old 2011.02.14, 08:12 AM   #313
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

*watches full video*

Well, that was bizarre.

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
Thanks!
I still hate it. The song and PV are just Ringo playing dress up, both musically and physically. It's self indulgent and annoying.
My thoughts exactly. It was hard not to smile when the guys did their pelvic thing, but the second half was just way too self-indulgent. Both the song and the visuals.

And in a bizarre way, I can hear classic Ringo in this song, but it's not in a good sense.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2011.02.14 at 08:22 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.14, 08:13 AM   #314
baruga

baruga has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I could type out a lengthy way to explain how the songs repetitiveness and lack of twists or general excitement are detrimental to the song. Along with that and the fact it is not only generic as well, but that she has done far better showtunes before expresses my dissatisfaction. My opinion couldn't be less ignorant, as I heard the same god damn song everyone else did. This time I just thought I'd trade the paragraph for a single statment that said the same thing.

Brevity is the soul of wit. Except when you're trying to be negative I guess, huh?
Not really, I agree with you more now. The song is obviously still not the snippet, copy pasted three or for times in succession though.

She should've saved this for a solo outing.
baruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.14, 08:48 AM   #315
Lock

Lock is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
You can like the song or not, but guys, this is their best PV ever...
Totalmente de acuerdo...

I mean... totally agree. Best Jihen video ever? Yes, IMO.
Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.14, 09:10 AM   #316
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by baruga View Post
She should've saved this for a solo outing.
I hope it's not on the next Shiina solo album and I hope this was her farewell to showtunes. It's her worst song in this style. Kono Yo no Kagiri was the high point.
Old 2011.02.14, 09:21 AM   #317
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction

i think she's like roxy heart from chicago especially the hair and in the mirror sequence
letemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.14, 10:09 AM   #318
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Lock View Post
Totalmente de acuerdo...

I mean... totally agree. Best Jihen video ever? Yes, IMO.
Oh, an Spanish fella! . Oh, and btw, we all spend our days waiting for SR to go solo again, and now that we somehow get that (in the form of a TJ song), we won't stop complaining about it. I thought most of us enjoyed Sanmon Gossip, which wasn't that different from this new song...
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.14, 10:17 AM   #319
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

I really liked the whole song, to be honest. It's cute and fun, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I especially liked the ending/English parts; it was like watching an old movie.Though, have to agree that it probably should have been a solo song.

Also, the dancing and costume changes are totally okay with me. I am a fashion design major; so, I'm obviously going to like it.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.14, 10:39 AM   #320
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Sanmon Gossip was kind of...unbalanced by the Saito Neko and Hattori Takayuki collaborations. The best parts of the album, IMO, were the songs that weren't similar to Onna no Ko wa Dare demo.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote