Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do you think that she should sing in English ?
Yes 66 77.65%
No 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.04.12, 02:38 PM   #21
MisakO

MisakO pleased at least somebody

yes. I like her english songs (even the ones that have odd lyrics) and her pronunciation is better than mine so is ok with me^^
MisakO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.12, 02:57 PM   #22
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

I think it's fine. It's good to reach out to a broad audience. And she must have a vocal coach because her English is far better that the typical Jpop fare. The only thing that bugs me is off of Papaya Mango, "step inside my shady nook", is supposed to rhyme with "look" not "puke", isn't it? If you like the way I puke, then step inside my shady nuke...

I'm more interested in the Bjork comparison. Someone make a new poll, "Has Shiina Ringo Bjorkked out?"

Her new sound is less rock and more ochestrated, much like Bjork after she had her child. And if she started out cutesy eccentric before, just you wait and see. I personally like Bjork's original band the Sugarcubes and the early Shiina Ringo stuff better. Still fantastic of course, please don't get me wrong.
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.12, 03:23 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I say we ban Shiina from ever singing english! >=D

(Not really, I just think is funny the poll implies the option.)
Old 2007.04.12, 03:35 PM   #24
Kancer

Kancer pleased at least somebody

She has had some good English songs and some bad English songs, but her bad English is still far better then most other J-music singers. I wouldn't mind hearing more English songs.
Old 2007.04.12, 03:41 PM   #25
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

shiina should have the right of singing in gibberish if she wanted to. So I voted yes. But I highly doubt that she will ever be as universally accepted as Bjork is. Shiina's music is intelectually too tame compared to Bjork ( even though I like Shiina's music INFINITELY more).

But, if Shiina ever does an album only with vocal samples, and features guests like Mike Patton, Rahzel, Matmos and Dokaka, I'll be more than glad to change my opinion...
Old 2007.04.13, 11:29 PM   #26
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I like her english and don't know any reason why she should stop singing in english. Sometimes it sounds funny, but that doesn't matter for me. It can even be entertaining.
And I can sing along with her, if she sings in english, that's satisfying.
So, I have the same PRO's as everyone else^^

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.14, 02:03 PM   #27
Loire
Founder

Loire pleased at least somebody

Her english isn't that good, but it's still much better than the english of most japanese singers I know But I don't think she needs to sing in english, maybe in some songs only.
Old 2007.04.15, 12:03 PM   #28
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

At first her English bugged me, but now I think it has gotten much better, both the songwriting (though we don't know much of it is her) and the pronunciation. I too would love to hear her talk in English.

Here's something random I was thinking about the other day: So she studied abroad in England, right, for a little bit? I think she had a host family there, maybe. If she did, I wonder if she still keeps in touch with them. If she did, I wonder if they know she's now a famous music artist in Japan XD Wouldn't that be hilarious? "Oh, look dear, here's a package from that Yumiko girl we hosted... it's her first full-length album?!?"
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 08:21 AM   #29
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
At first her English bugged me, but now I think it has gotten much better, both the songwriting (though we don't know much of it is her) and the pronunciation. I too would love to hear her talk in English.

Here's something random I was thinking about the other day: So she studied abroad in England, right, for a little bit? I think she had a host family there, maybe. If she did, I wonder if she still keeps in touch with them. If she did, I wonder if they know she's now a famous music artist in Japan XD Wouldn't that be hilarious? "Oh, look dear, here's a package from that Yumiko girl we hosted... it's her first full-length album?!?"
Haha, that would be so funny. I'd love to see the reaction on their faces!
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 08:28 AM   #30
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by newyorkjihen View Post
The only thing that bugs me is off of Papaya Mango, "step inside my shady nook", is supposed to rhyme with "look" not "puke", isn't it? If you like the way I puke, then step inside my shady nuke...
Generally, I love her singing in English, but there are little things, like the above, or at the end of Dynamite on JCHI, that "You are....", that just do not flow. I imagine her English as she sings it is pretty rehearsed. Note on "Fly Me to the Moon" her accent is coming through much more than usual, and I think it is because she is reading a lyric sheet, and has not "rehearsed" the accent for the words of this song.

I do love that her English has a British accent. It is very apparent (to me) on Genjitsu and la salle de baine...

I also wonder how she works out the lyrics that she writes in English. She must have had help all along, since it is fairly flawlessly executed, and I can't imagine her written English is that good. My written English isn't that good.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote