Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.08.16, 06:30 PM   #21
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

one of my most favorite rpgs that don't seem to be mentioned that often are wild arms 1 and 2. I love them both, 3 was ok i guess, but after that the series spiraled downward

my favorite though has to be a tie between FF7 and FF8

oh and also i loved Suikoden, it was one of the first rpgs i've ever played, i actually owned the game when it came out, but i never actually played 2 XD but from what I hear it was just as good if not better
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.16, 06:54 PM   #22
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Another game that never gets much of a mention is Alundra. Very similar to the old Zelda games and pretty fun to go through.
Terranigma was good as well.

How does Dragon Quest VII compare to Dragon Quest VIII? I thought that 8 lost it's way after a while and I wasn't fond of the characters nor the endless hunt for Metal Slimes just to level up at a decent rate in the later stages.

Dhoulmagus was a crap boss as well

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2009.08.16 at 07:59 PM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.17, 09:08 AM   #23
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
How does Dragon Quest VII compare to Dragon Quest VIII? I thought that 8 lost it's way after a while and I wasn't fond of the characters nor the endless hunt for Metal Slimes just to level up at a decent rate in the later stages.

Dhoulmagus was a crap boss as well
DQ7 is definitely more a storytelling experience than DQ8. Seen in comparison:
I stopped playing DQ8 when after a short time to continue DQ7.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.18, 06:27 AM   #24
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I knew I finally developed a tolerance to casual sexism in Japanese pop culture when I played Dragon Quest 7 and I wasn't surprised when female characters used a serving tray as a shield through most of the game.

Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
oh and also i loved Suikoden, it was one of the first rpgs i've ever played, i actually owned the game when it came out, but i never actually played 2 XD but from what I hear it was just as good if not better
Suikoden 2 is waaaay better. Suikoden 1 is a solid RPG but Suikoden 2 is a masterpiece in my opinion. I've just finished playing Suikoden 5 and it's on the same level as Suikoden 2... awesome game.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.18, 11:27 AM   #25
golem09

I keep hearing good stuff about Suikoden. But I'll never play any of them, because I can not stand having so many characters available.
It's bad enough If I have to choose 3 or 4 of 6 or 8, but Suikoden is just too much for me. Recruiting characters is my worst nightmare.
So no Suikoden for me.

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.08.18, 12:05 PM   #26
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

FF Tactics was like that as well, constantly getting new members in your party and never having a connection with any of them. You feel less inclination to play when it's set up like that I find. I prefer a core party of no more than 8 or so and just stick with that through the whole game.

And even that can be too many!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.18, 12:20 PM   #27
Cinders

Well with Suikoden it felt more like an army. And, while you didn't have a real connection with most of them, they all had their unique personalities, and reasons for joining you.

Also most of them were absolutely useless in combat and would never be used anyways. XD
Old 2009.08.18, 12:27 PM   #28
golem09

btw, if I would ever try to play it, do I have to play suikoden 1 to understand 2?

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.08.18, 12:42 PM   #29
Cinders

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
btw, if I would ever try to play it, do I have to play suikoden 1 to understand 2?
from what I gather, no, not really
there are some characters from 1 in 2, but i think it's a whole new story, and new main character
Old 2009.08.18, 02:28 PM   #30
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
I keep hearing good stuff about Suikoden. But I'll never play any of them, because I can not stand having so many characters available.
It's bad enough If I have to choose 3 or 4 of 6 or 8, but Suikoden is just too much for me. Recruiting characters is my worst nightmare.
So no Suikoden for me.
Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
And even that can be too many!
I know what you mean... I do agonize over which characters I should take with me each time. However, it's still fun to mix a match because they have combo attacks that can only be executed when the right people are in your party... these attacks can be extremely powerful or completely useless. Besides, not all characters are playable- many of them offer other services such as mini games, shops, a detective agency, a theater etc.
It's fun seeing your derelict base of operation slowly growing into a busy town. Some people might find all that distracting and tedious, though. I guess it just depends on what type of gamer you are.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote