Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2007.04.03, 10:47 AM   #1
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Question Reputation System

I was wondering if someone could explain the reputation system to me. (I searched the FAQ, but couldn't find any articles on it.) I've been on a board that used a karma system, but other members couldn't add to them like on these forums. Actually, it was more like a warning system instead, so never mind. =_=;;

Anyway, what kind of posts should we 'approve' of? :confused: I already 'approved' one of Golem's posts, so I'm sorry if we weren't supposed to use it yet. >_<;;
badtzmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 06:18 PM   #2
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

The rep system is like giving "props" to somebody's post.

Each time you say "I approve" of someone's post, it adds 1 to his/her reputation factor, and depending on how many you have, you are given a cute reputation "level." I won't give away what the levels are, or how many points you need to get to the next level.

If you say "I disapprove," of someone's post, that user's factor is subtracted by 1, and again, there are cute "levels" going the other way.

It's like World of Warcraft, only you're not wasting your life.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 06:28 PM   #3
Huruhara

Huruhara pleased at least somebody

Oooh, the idea's nifty! I wonder, in what ways does it benefit the people with good rep? Access to rare files? And what happens if a person is not "cute" enough?
Huruhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 06:34 PM   #4
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh, so it's up to us to decide what kind of comments to we want to approve of. Thanks, HIMH NIMH Rat!

Oh yeah, I added a point to Golem's reputation level but it still says 0. :confused:
Old 2007.04.03, 06:38 PM   #5
Migoto

Migoto is headed in the right direction

Won't people just start approving everyones posts, and expect to be approved too?
Migoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 06:46 PM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Suggested DOs and DON'Ts for Reputation:

1.) Did you find a post to be amusing or insightful? If so, then yeah, absolutely, go ahead and approve it!

2.) Don't hit or boost someone just because you agree or disagree with what they're saying. If their post was controversial, was it also fair to other people? (note: someone doesn't have to be right in order to be fair with difference of opinion)

3.) You're judging the posts, not the person. It is perfectly okay to hit someone for one thing they said, and boost them for another. Don't go around Reputation-hitting someone's posts just because of who they come from.

4.) You're encouraged to use the system so long as you have reasons each time you do. Staff can see who boosted who and for 'what', and if people are just boosting all of each others' posts for no reason at all, a moderator may have to sit down and have a talk with you.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 07:46 PM   #7
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I actually prefer it the way Glat describes. Better that the power level not be something easily attained, but something slowly built over time, so it's not a constant thing on users' minds and the place doesn't degenerate into a mutual approbation society, as Migoto describes.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 03:08 AM   #8
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

I hava an experience of this system at other forum, and dislike it.
It's worked as barometer of how you are logrolling.

This kind of features represent what I worried about this new community is about.
Only vocal posters are importrant.
And most of them are Americans because of English language board.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 07:25 AM   #9
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
This kind of features represent what I worried about this new community is about.
Only vocal posters are importrant.
And most of them are Americans because of English language board.
That's not true. You have nothing to worry about. I personally don't really plan to use the reputation system at all, at least until I get used to it, and I can't see anyone else here going crazy with it either.

And PLEASE stop saying things about there being so many Americans here. I've said this to you before, this is an INTERNATIONAL forum. We have people from Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Sweden, all over. We just post in English.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 11:51 AM   #10
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

My reps should count more than others. Cuz Im freaky like dat =P