Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.04.17, 01:18 AM   #21
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I thought everybody knew Barbee Boys here.
Tokyo Jihen cover of their song "C'mon Let's Go" is performed at Just Can't Help It.
Old 2009.04.17, 01:44 AM   #22
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I thought everybody knew Barbee Boys here.
Tokyo Jihen cover of their song "C'mon Let's Go" is performed at Just Can't Help It.
yeah, I love that song. I thought I heard the group's name before but it just didn't click seeing it in katakana. and the difference between barbie and barbee did it for me too, kind of silly small differences sometimes make the difference. Chances are that since he wrote it with ringo and is the guitar player he is the studio guitarist for the song.
Old 2009.04.17, 01:54 AM   #23
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

If the new song and/or album sounds anything like Barbee Boys, I will be pleased. Altough "Ariamaru Tomi" doesn't, and Imamichi was heavily involved...
Old 2009.04.17, 02:01 AM   #24
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
wow, ringo's album launches the same day as Tomosaka Rie's comeback album. Sorry Rie, it doesn't matter if you had Ringo and Jihen and some other famous chick work for you, you just lost BIG TIME lol. I feel bad for anyone eyeing that day, Ringo's second coming is going to be billed like the second coming of Jesus Christ, you know, if Japan was mostly Christian and all...
I don't think it's intended to be a contest. No matter which album 'loses' on the sales chart - EMI still wins. They've played this game before, and it's a more calculated business move (something a little beyond a hedged bet) than the anniversary recyclings. Based on the outcome, EMI is probably going to decide whether or not to reissue any of Tomosaka Rie's old CDs (they're all currently out-of-print). After all, nobody had any reason to believe Stem (the single) would ever make a comeback. It was gone for years. Shoujo Robot could presumably get reissued too, if the Tomosaka Rie album sells enough.

I can foresee these two 2009.06.24 products being displayed alongside each other in Japanese retail stores even more blatantly than Black Bone Muscien Label alongside Just Can't Help It (anybody remember that?) - which weren't even under the same record label. That was some pure coat-tail riding. I don't think that's what Tomosaka Rie is trying to do. She's just being prepped up by Team Variety because EMI knows they can make some extra money on the side during the the buzz of the second coming of Shiina Ringo.

Tomosaka Rie's album probably has a much better chance of success from being sold on the same day (because it can be officially cross-promoted), rather than like... being released in the beginning of 2008. In her defense (and I am by no means a fanboy), I'm sure she didn't push for any of this. EMI probably approached her and asked:

"How would you like to make some more money? We've got a couple of the most trendy songwriters to succeed under us in awhile, and all you'd have to do is just sing, and... take most of your clothes off again".
Old 2009.04.17, 02:51 AM   #25
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Guys. It's happening! It's fucking happening.

I'm a more recent SR fan than most of you, so my skepticism is low and my optimism is sky high. You don't know how happy I am. This is crazy. They're toting this as the FOURTH album. I'm not even going to pretend that this isn't the greatest news ever. There's a Shiina Ringo shaped void in my music-listening that can only be filled with SR.
Old 2009.04.17, 03:07 AM   #26
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

found this image here. No idea if that's the cover of anything.
I wonder if it's a reference to the Ringo no Uta naked cover? It has to be.
Old 2009.04.17, 03:08 AM   #27
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Karuki Zamen Nekkurasu Kuri no Hana
Old 2009.04.17, 03:11 AM   #28
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Probably everyone noticed already but:
Sanmon Gossip = SG
SG ~Superficial Gossip~ = SG

I think this is the first time a song and album share the same title, in Ringo's discography.

EDIT: Thanks for the pic, grumble. Is removing her eyebrows her next step after the mole?
And the lips are ugly.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.04.17 at 03:16 AM.
Old 2009.04.17, 03:36 AM   #29
Scribble R

Maybe the 'necklace' is really hundreds of transparent moles which will transform Ringo into a music goddess.

ShinjiPG is superficially gossiping.
Old 2009.04.17, 03:58 AM   #30
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

CD Japan isn't wasting much time anymore.
(I swear I checked an hour ago and they didn't list it yet - so like the MINUTE they listed it the emails went out)