Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.05.29, 05:11 AM   #21
neoyume

neoyume pleased at least somebody

Whaw, thank you for sharing this frecklegirl
neoyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.29, 05:16 AM   #22
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yep, very cool indeed. I like how they thought to put out Koufukuron singles too (and that they haven't forgotten about the Yoko Maki single either)...

Sigh, wish music stores over here cared as much about music as Tower Records do...
Old 2013.05.29, 11:58 AM   #23
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

After listening to Kodoku no Akatsuki several times, the bridge part feels natural to me. The song itself like start - stop - start - stop, so it's actually pretty cool to have some weird ethereal vocals and guitar solo to change its pace. I give it 9/10

So much better than that Yoko Maki single. ;p
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 08:19 AM   #24
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Great pics, frecklegirl!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 08:55 PM   #25
chii

chii is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
The beginning of "Kodoku no Akatsuki" reminds me of Boz Scaggs's "We're All Alone"!* Now I'm not saying the song sounds anything like that overall, but I keep thinking of that song in the opening part (and when it repeats). Overall, it seems like a pretty Jihenish song and I'm still on the fence about it. One thing that strikes me and bothers me a bit in most of her newer material is that it doesn't have the organic feel of much of her earlier work (up to Adult--maybe even including Sanmon Gossip though I'd have to think about that since I'm not a big fan of it and almost never listen to it). It seems more openly a matter of muso pastiche: now we're going to do that, now we're going to do this, and here's a slightly fancy key change, or something like that. A case can certainly be made for an aesthetic that actually shows you where things are joined together and maybe even makes that stand out, but I can't help preferring the more organic sound and feel that I think existed in her earlier work. It was more a matter of "wow, it feels so natural, maybe inevitable, the way the song has moved through these changes, even though they weren't obvious."

Irohanihoheto continues to grow on me, and I think the PV has helped. It still feels a bit too much like I am admiring her skillfulness but not really being all that moved by it. As I've said elsewhere, I also kind of get the sense that she can knock off a song like this fairly easily, which, if true, is a tribute to her professionalism. But. . . But something. I don't know, I'm making it sound like I don't like the song, when I do. But it still feels like something is missing.

Oh my god YES. You've nailed it. The organicness in her music is gone. The textured, layered, sublime quality is gone. There's no nuance, no shift. YOU GET IT.
chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 08:58 PM   #26
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, as much as I have enjoyed the easy jaunt of her recent output, it's been a while since I was truly moved by one of her songs (Adult, Yukiguni and Tasogare Naki to be more exact)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.31, 04:14 AM   #27
Kuridamo

Kuridamo is headed in the right direction

Goddamit, I knew this would be a fest, everybody bitching. Just keep in mind music is not standing still, good music is the one that captures the Zeitgeist. Call it artificial or whatever..just don't be stuck in the past. xoxo
Kuridamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.31, 04:47 AM   #28
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

and here it is - the overall tone of the thread is pleased surprise, the overall verdict of Irohanihoheto is good, but there are some minor quibbles here and there (and the fair judgment of Kodoku as generally weak)... but things are good, not hate across the board... and someone comes along and inteprets it as a bunch of bitching.

why. why does this always happen!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.31, 05:32 AM   #29
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
why. why does this always happen!
Cause its music and music affects us on cognitive levels. Hence why it's so easy to be butthurt when someone says something negative against what you love.

That, and the only place on the internet that is dedicated mainly to Ringo is full of comments that are to outsiders bitter/bitchy (I had the same opinion about EMF when I first joined too remember, until I was able to figure out who's personality is what/when people are being in tongue in cheek/what's hyperbole and what's genuine opinion. The "most negative/people I disagreed with most of the time" people seem to have lone gone. No name calling here though, so don't ask :-p).

Though, Kuridamo is right in a way, nobody's opinion has changed about Ringo's music with this new single. I'll still stan her even with my reservations about Kodoku and the usual cast of characters will throw their usual 2 cents in :-p. We can only wait till Ringo releases a full album to get some real interesting discussion going. And with me in love with only 1 of the 3 post Carnation Ringo (by her, under her name) songs (Jiyuu (eh), Irohanihoheto, Kodoku (hmm...)) I'm kinda hoping a new album means none of these songs like Sanmon Gossip and Ariamaru Tomi.

If there's one thing I've learned about myself over the years on EMF, is how much confidence I actually have in my opinions. Nobody has changed my mind about Sanmon Gossip or Hesei Fuzoku (for example), I probably like them even more now than I did ever before. Maybe it's cause I'm stubborn, but I dunno, its a side of my personality that has only become clear while being on here. Anyway I'm really, really getting off topic here.

If there's just one thing I really would like from Ringo in the future is she'd just do another damn cover album while we wait for the next album or something. Maybe that would inspire her.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.31 at 05:53 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.31, 06:01 AM   #30
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I wouldn't mind if Ringo would release a self-covers album of the songs she wrote for others, I'd love to hear studio versions of Shoujo Robot, Nihon Ni Umarete or Seishun no Matataki

a remix album would also be a great surprise (Ringo vs. Yasutaka Nakata? bring it on)
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote