Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.21, 07:16 AM   #391
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I am writing my review for this record and hopefully I can finish soon, but until then, I want to ask one question to EMF: take the track "Arikitarina Onna," why does this track not sound like it could be a Tokyo Jihen track despite TJ could provide all the same instrumentation in the track, as well as the songwriter? In spite of all that, why could this not be mistaken for a Jihen track?

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2014.11.21 at 07:21 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.21, 07:34 AM   #392
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Who made the assumption the song cannot be mistaken for a Jihen track? To me it's not that different from Denki no Nai Machi. The major difference is the way she sings the song. On Variety, Sports and Discovery, Ringo's voice was more restrained. On Ordinary Woman, she put effort into singing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Ringo.png (320.6 KB, 110 views)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.21, 09:38 AM   #393
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I'm in a bit of an agreement here. Arikitarina onna could well have been a Jihen track, but then Onna no ko wa dare demo could well have been an SR solo track as well. It works both ways, for better or for worse, since they come from the same brain and performer. To be fair AO is one of my least favourite tracks on the album, but it's not really cos it sounds like Jihen.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.21, 10:31 AM   #394
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I am writing my review for this record and hopefully I can finish soon, but until then, I want to ask one question to EMF: take the track "Arikitarina Onna," why does this track not sound like it could be a Tokyo Jihen track despite TJ could provide all the same instrumentation in the track, as well as the songwriter? In spite of all that, why could this not be mistaken for a Jihen track?
The most simple answer is that it's because it's not Tokyo Jihen. Tokyo Jihen has there own musical nuances while these performers have there own. If Jihen had performed this song, it would have undoubtedly come across as more playful/hokey and the sound would have been thinner. To me it sounds like the natural evolution of Kachi Ikusa performed by a better band.
Old 2014.11.21, 01:47 PM   #395
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

@ Jihad:

Not sure if you're challenging those claiming it's not a Jihen scrap or those who are...
Old 2014.11.21, 02:58 PM   #396
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I don't hear how it's a Jihen scrap. Doesn't sound like a Jihen album at all to me.

You seem to be the only one passionately hating on this album, DG. Why is that?
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.21, 03:21 PM   #397
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^Someone's gotta keep EMFs reputation alive. Pity certain JPS and last.fm members arent as vocal as I am, it would be a blood bath. At least I haven't said "Sunny fans are holocaust deniers" like one certain other person...

But I was pretty much done with Sunny hating (Most was admittedly trolling) just wanted to confirm what angle Jihad was going on.

Its been fun being the hater for a change though, I can understand the appeal now :-p

However, the album is still worst solo album ever and still has gotten old already (for me). Those are the facts.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.21 at 04:03 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.22, 11:25 AM   #398
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

This is a good performance.
ありきたりな女

Is the mole back??
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.22, 08:55 PM   #399
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ That was so good. Have you seen the live performance of Hashire Wa Number on NHK SONGS? The fact that Takuo Yamamoto was on flute put a smile on my face. I like that guy.

It's a pity that HZM is so unlikely to agree to tour with Ringo once again...
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.23, 05:27 PM   #400
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ is that the one where she's rocking a fro? Or is this some other performance I haven't seen?
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote