Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.10.27, 08:44 AM   #791
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
And I find it ridiculous how you can't admit Meisai is musically complex, just because Suberidai is possibly just as complex
I never did such a thing.
Old 2011.10.27, 08:58 AM   #792
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Japanese music that sells well does not a jpop make. Were not talking about Variety/Sports/Daihakken, we're talking about KZK. Jpop, give me a break.
Old 2011.10.27, 01:44 PM   #793
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@Maou
This is going nowhere. Obviously I can't understand your argument because I am stupid and you are of the superior intellect. Let's just agree to disagree.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 04:28 PM   #794
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Name:  black-woman-attitude.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  39.4 KB
Old 2011.10.27, 06:42 PM   #795
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

I think that's an appropriate way to end the argument.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 06:51 PM   #796
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I got lost in this.

Last edited by W3iHong : 2011.10.27 at 07:00 PM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 07:23 PM   #797
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

It's not just you, trust me.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 09:31 PM   #798
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I could give so many reasons as to why her music is Jpop - the writing, the melody, the marketing, the commercial aspect (even if it is self-aware). Throwing in examples like Edith Piaf or Nick Cave doesn't mean anything because the sounds that they use are so consistent and obviously identifiable, and also because they do not deliberately market themselves through the same model that Jpop (or any mainstream pop music model) does right now.

Yes, Shuukyou is undeniably pop.

But I don't think we're gonna get anywhere so we'll just have to agree to disagree. All I am saying is, Jpop as a term isn't a blanket term constructed to mean bad music (I know, or at least hope, that this wasn't intended, but you'd never know, given how gag-reflex some people are presenting their opinions here), or even just "one genre/style/sound of music"; it has constantly been re-negotiated depending on what is popular or acceptable in the mainstream of the time, and this in turn has NEVER been homogeneous. By your standards it'd be like saying Utada Hikaru or Hamasaki Ayumi aren't Jpop artists because they have songs that are obviously 'rock', or that are obviously 'R&B' that do not conform to what you Think is Jpop.

Anyhow, the way some individuals have been completely dismissive (as usual) does make for even a remotely productive discussion. Let's just stick to the thread topic and talk about the tour.

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2011.10.27 at 09:34 PM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.28, 03:07 AM   #799
Tokyo Jihad

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I could give so many reasons as to why her music is Jpop - the writing, the melody, the marketing, the commercial aspect .
All that text when you tripped up right at the first sentence.

EDIT: Alright, as proven time and again, arguing over genre is pointless and irritating. If you really think KZK is the same music genre as Morning Musume then keep on truckin' I guess.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2011.10.28 at 03:28 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.28, 04:34 AM   #800
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

I think maybe this is an argument between then and now. I would argue that her music with the new TJ (last three albums, not Adult) is undeniably Jpop, although strange and occasionally exceptional. I would argue that pre-Variety Jihen/Ringo was not really Jpop, in that the overall quality transcended such a simple description. With this, I would argue that she calls the ultimate shots with TJ, despite who is writing. It is her band. The direction the band takes (if she chooses to take them along with her) are hers.

Labels aside, I am both excited and distressed to see this incarnation of a TJ tour in the next couple weeks. Wasn't this thread about the tour?

Last edited by natsume : 2011.10.28 at 04:48 AM.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote