Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.03.11, 07:04 PM   #11
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
If only it didn't have that "Rock rock, like you don't stop" in it, I would have liked it a tad better.
your in the completely wrong thread, this is for PUFFY's Hiyori Hime

and the packaging for this single is pretty nice. I bought the regular edition because I figured since she wrote it I might as well add for the sake of discography completion. Something about having the song in high quality makes it a lot easier to stand. Still not my favorite, but not as bad as it seemed a few weeks ago.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 11:34 PM   #12
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I mentioned Amagasa, so it's my fault!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 10:38 AM   #13
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I think we should put a general ban on mentioning that song or this song until after the new single comes out. clear the air and hope for the best (and riot like fuck if it turns out like we all fear)

we should just call them those
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 10:42 AM   #14
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I think we should put a general ban on mentioning that song or this song until after the new single comes out. clear the air and hope for the best (and riot like fuck if it turns out like we all fear)

we should just call them those
Care to explain why?

Wait, actually, care to explain what you mean? I really don't understand
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 09:47 PM   #15
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Okay, after finally going through everything that this single had to offer (including the bonus DVD), this is what I got from the experience:

Whoever was responsible for recording the 'honeysweeper' performances in the bonus DVD, did an awesome job. I strongly doubt there's any nuances to be heard on the original singles/albums, that I didn't hear on this DVD. Every individual instrument came through with a studio-like clarity, so you really knew how great each of these performers were at what they did.

Now while I respect all the individual performers, none of the compositions ever got a groove on that really resonated with me. I could have picked any one of the four songs, and listened to it four times in a row, rather than listening to each of the four songs once - and the end result for me would have been the same. If I had to choose between replaying the two B-sides and honeysweeper, versus replaying Variety - I would much rather replay Variety, and it's pretty much common knowledge around here that I'm not exactly kermit.gif about Variety.

Is this anywhere near the 'best' that PUFFY can be? With the respect they get from EMF members like Tokyo Jihad and TeslaGuy and digdad, I would like to believe there is really something more to PUFFY that I just haven't heard yet, but man, this sure sounds like generic Japanese pop/rock to me. It's not even that it "fits the profile" of other Japanese pop/rock I've heard (because there is some out there that I like), but that its melody is like cotton candy. You could use any of the honeysweeper tracks as a theme song for an anime, and they would fit into the kawaii otaku-friendly anime subculture far more than Hiyori Hime. And then the B-sides are just kind of "eh" for me, and it's obvious they weren't composed by Shiina Ringo.
Old 2009.03.21, 04:01 PM   #16
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Hiyori-hime translation, if anyone's interested.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.05.16, 08:11 AM   #17
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

I was in for a surprise today when I stumbled upon this page. Evidently, Hiyori-hime was used as the OP of what looks to be a pretty lackluster anime.

The song itself is "catchy." I can't even bring myself to type that without scare quotes.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote