Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.01.17, 02:41 AM   #21
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I'm sure this has been the case for most of their releases, but damn, this record sounds incredible on earphones!

EDIT to include track by track opinions:

1. Konya - I've liked this song from the get go, it sounds even better on earphones when you can hear all the instrumental nuances, the subtler guitar work. Ringo really sounds great here.

2. Kai horror dust - Sounds like a male version of Fukushuu. I am afraid this didn't make much of an impression on me.

3. Time capsule - Great melodic ballad from Kameda, as we have come to expect from him. Solid track.

4. sa_i_ta - Wow love this. I am a bit sad they didn't get to explore this groovier part of their style more (cf 3 min and Otonatachi). Discoey, as previously mentioned; this probably sounds blasphemous but that chorus hook REALLY reminds me of that one Kesha song, that's right, you know which one I am talking about.

5. Honto no tokoro - That Back Horn comparison someone made is absolutely spot on. I wouldn't have identified this as a Jihen song if you didn't tell me. Musically and structurally the most unexpected on the album. Probably not as accessible as the stuff we have come to expect from the band, though (even if I liked the track)

I liked the experimentation that went on in this record. I think it's a shame that we won't be seeing them refine the hints of the awesome stuff that've heard on this disc on a full length album.

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2012.01.17 at 03:33 AM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 05:39 AM   #22
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post

2. Kai horror dust - Sounds like a male version of Fukushuu.
I'm going to pay attention to the lyrics more closely then because I didn't get this impression at all...

Time Capsule was pretty good.

sa_i_ta is looking to be the jaaaam.

Last edited by LoBFCanti : 2012.01.17 at 05:59 AM.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 06:26 AM   #23
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ I was referring more to sound and atmospherics, I felt the 2 songs were quite reminiscent of each other. Haven't looked at the lyrics for any of the songs yet.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 06:41 AM   #24
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

sa_i_ta may be Uki's greatest contribution to Jihen. But Kai Horror Dust is definitely the weak link here. I'd say it sounds like an Appa reject, but it wouldn't even sound in place there.

And Hata...why did it take this long?
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 07:54 AM   #25
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I writted that Ringo's song would be the best of this EP...
That was'nt very hard.

Anyway, I like sa_i_ta very much!

[edit] The "Kesha song", okay now I get it! I believed at first that I had already heard something similar, but more into the eighty's... But that don't have to make change my mind [/edit]

But, about the three others, well...

er...

BLEH!

Last edited by teattum : 2012.01.17 at 08:12 AM.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 08:29 AM   #26
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Why does this have to happen every time? Some of you just looove to show off that you heard it first, don't you? There's really no other explanation for making posts like that. People have gotten in major trouble for doing that in the past, so you really should know better.
Please. Don't get me involved in political forum rubbish.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 08:43 AM   #27
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Konya wa Karasawagi is nice but really just par for the course.
Kai-horrordust should have been called Izawa-horrorsinging.
It's as if all of the Kameda ballads were written in a time stasis.
sa_i_ta accurately reflects how frequently I'll be listening to it.
Honto no Tokoro is a really nice way to finish things off, for real.

Even if it's not the greatest entry in the discography, it's more than a fair representation of each member. It's a shame they couldn't get songs from the past members to round things out.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 09:16 AM   #28
destrega
Banned

destrega pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Positron;81119[B
Honto no Tokoro is a really nice way to finish things off, for real.[/b]
Agreed. I think it's the best thing on this record. The other tracks didn't really gel with me (as I expected), but this is an absolute winner that I can see getting a fair old bit of mileage.
destrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 09:25 AM   #29
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

What is Kai Horror Dust?
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.17, 10:43 AM   #30
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Okay, so after a couple of listens, I'm impressed... mostly by the weirdness of the whole thing - this is TJ's weirdest record by far.

1. The best song on the record, as expected. SR's vocals are flawless in this one, and it has the real sound of TJ all over it. If this was featured on Adult, I wouldn't be surprised. Sadly, this was the kind of song that we didn't get since Adult, which makes me a little sad.

2. I must admit I hated it at first, basically because of Izawa's voice. The melody is great, and once you get used to the vocals, you may enjoy the whole thing. Not great, though.

3. Kameda being Kameda. We all knew this was gonna be like this. I usually like Kameda's contributions, but this was a little boring. Liked it better than "Shiseikatsu", though.

4. Flawless. It's disco-ish and sexy, and you can even dance to it a little. I wish they had released more songs like this one. I think this and "Konya wa Karasawagi" will be the only songs I'll end up listening to in the future.

5. Well, where to start. Hata's voice is... interesting. As a way to finish the record, it is great. As a way to finish a career... not so much.

I definitely missed more Ringo singing. I thought that after listening to this record I'd be left wanting more from TJ, but I must admit that I was left waiting for more Ringo solo. However, this was a good EP overall.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote