Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.06.09, 05:49 PM   #101
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Am I the only one that likes this song? I'm failing to see what's bad about it. Rock Ringo, come back into my heart.

Now I'm contemplating buying the single.

Last edited by FadedSun : 2014.06.09 at 05:54 PM.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.09, 05:56 PM   #102
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Am I the only one that like this song? I'm failing to see what's bad about it. Rock Ringo, come back into my heart.
No, you're not the only one who likes it, it seems to be liked by most of Japan if the sales are to go by. It's just bitter old stans and newly bitter nu-fans who wondering why bother breaking up Jihen who don't like it :p

Still, I'm growing soft on it (it certainly does sound better now I'm hearing it in decent quality). It has the same effect as Atarashii Bunmei-kaika had on me- found it too peppy/cheesy at first but grew to love over time. I'm even growing soft on this 2014 release brickwalled, ear-destroying production for whatever reason. Maybe I'm just a masochist.
Old 2014.06.09, 07:00 PM   #103
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Double post but regarding the video:

Anyone know any of the other players (I can't really see them properly). Is it same lineup as on Jiyuu e Michidzure? I could handle the arena tours to be these guys (playing deeper cuts and Honnou sized hits of course). They seem tight and maybe the lack of an organ or piano might lead to a pretty rockin' show.

Also. The way Ringo looks on this NIPPON PV- stunning and the most 'alive' she's looked *on a solo PV* since Shun I'd say.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.06.09 at 07:05 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.09, 07:25 PM   #104
anonlurker

This video and seemingly better sound quality really shifts my perception towards the track. I was playing it loud and kinda "got it". World Cup party over here!
Old 2014.06.10, 12:49 AM   #105
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

I like what deadgrandma said about fans being upset that this song sounds too much like a Tokyo Jihen song. It really, really does sound like a song they would have put on SPORTS (and in my opinion, it would not be one of the better tracks). A part of me wants to jump into that boat and be upset that Jihen was disbanded for apparently no reason for Ringo's musical direction. But I realize that this type of song will be a big seller for many Japanese soccer fans who aren't solo Ringo fans. Even though Ringo wrote it and it is a single, it has been created solely for promotion purposes. I don't expect to hear it on an album of hers. If it were any other artist -- maybe. Not Ringo. It doesn't fit with any theme and would be weird on her next album. This one track will not soil her career or change what she has planned for it. This is similar to those Kamen Rider singles that GACKT did a while back. I am still excited for more Ringo in the future.

Also, the music video. It made me like it a little more.

Last edited by kalmia : 2014.06.10 at 12:54 AM.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.10, 06:29 AM   #106
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

It's hard to complain about Nippon when the MV shows Ringo enjoying herself with it.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.10, 07:40 AM   #107
deadgrandma

I have seen the NIPPON video in full now, when Ringo pulls out that guitar solo (and it's quite the solo), I couldn't help but crack a big Cheshire Cat grin.

It ends with "From Nippon to the World"...
Old 2014.06.10, 07:44 AM   #108
FadedSun

I think that it sounds like a Jihen song is irrelevant. They disbanded for a reason - maybe they no longer felt creative together as a whole. At any rate, TJ disbanding is for the best. A little curious: Kameda used to be a strong force in all her music, right? He hasn't been apart of any of her solo work for a long time as far as I know.
Old 2014.06.10, 08:07 AM   #109
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

The reason it sounds like a Tokyo Jihen song is because the people who asked her to write it WANTED a Tokyo Jihen song. According to this video,

Soccer mom?

the people who wanted her music had the idea of Tokyo Jihen's "Sports" in mind and wanted to something like Gunjou Biyori essentially, and she's like "LOL I DIDN'T WRITE THAT." *

*rough translation of a rough translation
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.10, 10:25 AM   #110
FadedSun

^^ Well there it is. She was given a direction to take the song and that's where it went.