Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.22, 07:44 AM   #71
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Lets keep some hype in mind about the "better than Variety" stuff. I haven't heard it, but lets just remember, upon release Variety was "better than Variety"
hahaha, you're such a killjoy =P
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.22, 07:47 AM   #72
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Also, being 'better than Variety' or HF isn't much of an achievement. HF isn't bad, but it's full of rehashes. Variety is Variety. So that isn't REALLY saying much

If you want to *really* get me going, say that it's better than Kyouiku and Adult!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.22, 07:49 AM   #73
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Lets keep some hype in mind about the "better than Variety" stuff. I haven't heard it, but lets just remember, upon release Variety was "better than Variety"
For once I have to disagree with you. I was pretty nauseous upon hearing OSCA the first time and recovered a bit from it only to hear Ramp and well...I was blown away at the mediocrity. There wasn't any period of time when I thought Variety was decent. From the previews I got at the store my feeling is EXACTLY the same as when I first heard Adult, something like this: She's definitely past her peak but the day when she has no great music left in her is far far away.

EDIT: Your skepticism is certainly well put, and if you get excited, you will certaintly be dissapointed but this will, AT WORST confirm that Variety was a mistake unlikely to be repeated.

And on another note, another tight ass has appeared!

Last edited by lazer85 : 2009.06.22 at 07:53 AM.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.22, 07:51 AM   #74
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by lazer85 View Post
She's definitely past her peak but the day when she has no great music left in her is far far away.
sighhhhhh.....this drives me mad.
Old 2009.06.22, 08:10 AM   #75
lazer85

Yes I am one of those KZK freaks who think nothing will match that album, ever and really don't want anything to match that album.
Old 2009.06.22, 08:18 AM   #76
HEDOfloe

Yes I am one of those KZK freaks who think nothing will match that album, ever and really don't want anything to match that album.
i didn't mean KZK, i love that and i think i agree for the most part. im just known to always say that variety says nothing about ringo losing talents since she didn't write any music for it. hence, why it drives me mad to see it still come up.
Old 2009.06.22, 08:19 AM   #77
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

That's what actually ticks me off about the whole Variety deal. I don't care that she helped make the idea in other ways. Fact is that she did not write the effing music! It was just a bad decision on her part.
Old 2009.06.22, 08:31 AM   #78
lazer85

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
i didn't mean KZK, i love that and i think i agree for the most part. im just known to always say that variety says nothing about ringo losing talents since she didn't write any music for it. hence, why it drives me mad to see it still come up.
Fair enough but it still was her decision to leave it to purely instrumentally talented people with unimpressive songwriting ability and her decision to get involved with such people, presumably anyway.

Also I sometimes think of "Ringo" as a collective that is centered around a girl rather than just that particular girl (I mean I think it's fair given that isn't even her real name). There are so many collaborations going on in Ringo's music and it's hard to tell exactly what the person at the center is responsible for. It's hard to only talk about Shiina Ringo's musical career as if she's responsible for everything, look at how much Kameda has played a part over the years and look how the different phases shape the music of Tokyo Jihen. To me Tokyo Jihen is just another name for the Shiina Ringo collective.

Like with Gorillaz, you know Jamie Hewlitt and Damon Alburn are at the center but you have no idea how much they were influenced by the others they worked with and you don't even always know exactly whose involved.

I'm expressing frustration towards the collective and not just one woman because I don't really care much about that woman without her collective until I know she's acting 100% on her own with no help from anyone.
Old 2009.06.22, 08:33 AM   #79
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

I just think the album is awesome and it would be REALLY REALLY not to follow our examples and wait the album to arrive your home and listen to it.. cause it's really worth it!!

Saito Neko did a nice work in this! I'm really surprised

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.22, 08:40 AM   #80
Scribble R

Fair enough but it still was her decision to leave it to purely instrumentally talented people with unimpressive songwriting ability and her decision to get involved with such people, presumably anyway.
That says nothing about her songwriting ability though. It just means she's thick/extremely modest. It's a personality flaw. It shouldn't be used as an argument that 'RINGO HAS LOST HER TALENT.'

Alas, I'm not going to hear the album today. I have The Sopranos to watch anyhoo.