Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.26, 09:17 AM   #111
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Since when does an overwhelming majority love HF? Did I miss that memo?
An Adult being regarded as "the best Jihen album" doesn't say too terribly much. It is a good album, but until this week, the only competition was an album that sounded like it went through a garbage disposal before reaching our ears .

Theres no majority of love for HF. I think he's just referring to himself.

HF is still a bit of a swindle to me and I don't love the album except for Karisome, Sakuran and Hatsukoi Shoujo. Its an overhyped maxisingle with alot of padding. It wasn't the 2nd coming we had hoped for.

As for Adult rising to #1 status, this is relativity at work. By raising your tolerance for music you don't like, what you once thought was great or okay then now becomes something Super EXCELLENTE by comparison. By making Variety the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, see how TJ's previous material, especially SR's solo material skyrockets to legendary status?

so, if this trend continues, the haters truly might actually see Variety as a masterpiece a few more albums from now.

I already think Variety is a good album. So who knows how I'll think of it a couple of years from now.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.09.26 at 09:24 AM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 10:23 AM   #112
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
so, if this trend continues, the haters truly might actually see Variety as a masterpiece a few more albums from now.
But that will be a new generation of haters. The old haters will hate them ALL

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 12:33 PM   #113
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

so does anyone know where i can find who wrote which songs?

agreed on HF ShadyNooks
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 12:48 PM   #114
Milton_Parker

Milton_Parker pleased at least somebody

play twice before listening

it's relentlessly happy, zero drama, an entire album of chipper songs like Toumei Ningen -- first impulse when listening was to run

the Jihen attention-to-detail really comes through and every single song on the record is growing on me fast. what initially sounds 'generic' actually ends up sounding 'classic' once expectations settle, I think this is a great album

main thing that hits me though is that Shiina is just another member of the band, she's no longer leading. this is where the band was headed the entire time though, so it's not a surprise, but I still see why some people are so utterly let down by this -- even her vocals sound less like a Ringo spotlight, they're mixed like any other instrument in the band (and she's increasingly sharing lead vocals with the others). so it's natural to miss her, but those solo albums were once-in-a-lifetime things, there's no looking back

give this album some time, it'll pay off
Milton_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 01:45 PM   #115
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
But that will be a new generation of haters. The old haters will hate them ALL
yeah, but like I was saying, if this album is TJ at its worst, thing will only get better from here. So the worst is past us. Just wait another year.

My reaction to this album was similar to when I heard Beatles White Album. Kronekodow is like the Rocky Raccoon of the album. There is alot of quirky weird ass music here, some of it works and some of it doesn't, but I give the band mucho credit for taking a creative risk like this.

Izawa's tunes really kicked my ass. Kingyou and Sake to Geko are his standout tracks. "Sake" doesn't have a traditional chorus! Its replaced with a instrumental waltz. That's pretty cool. The structure isn't defective even without a vocal chorus. I've never heard a song like that before.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 02:01 PM   #116
Milton_Parker

Milton_Parker pleased at least somebody

the instrumental waltz in "Sake" seems pretty much like a direct reference to the chorus of "Kao / Faces" from the "Gunjou Biyori" single. it is a little different though.

also like the way Izawa fit in the keyboard solo to the Doors' "Light My Fire" at 3:00 of "Princess Mensuelle"

tons of references all over this album, it's like a crossword puzzle for music geeks
Milton_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 02:39 PM   #117
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ I actually mentioned the Kao thing to Jihad on AIM. Nice to see someone else who thought the same thing.

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
From what I remember Luna Sea's drummer Shinya did not write a single son g for them in the 10ish years Luna Sea were together. But I don't mind that since he has to take care of complex rhythm patterns on all their songs, and that itself is a mean feat already. Plus, talented percussionist/songwriter combos are extremely rare (not to say Hata can't be one though) so I wouldn't be surprised if Hata will never write any song for the Jihens.
Actually, Shinya wrote and composed the song inside you. Hata better step his up his game for the band. Yes I went way back for this.

Last edited by Maou : 2007.09.26 at 03:22 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 03:27 PM   #118
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Even Ringo (Starr) got writing credit for two songs, Hata!
Old 2007.09.26, 03:53 PM   #119
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

There will be hating on Hata, you Hata haters!
(Oh my god that's so much fun to say.)
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.26, 06:29 PM   #120
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

References.
Or lack of originality?
You never know.