Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.25, 05:54 PM   #71
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
If you are going to say one part of the song is like a weaker part of another, then you should be specific and not generalize a whole song like that.
It was my first impression of the song. In a later review I expanded on this statement:

Shiseikatsu - Very boring. Don't even like the verses. The end is a direct rip off of Superstar.
And this is all personal opinion.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 05:55 PM   #72
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh, I apologize for calling you out on that, I guess I missed that part since I was going over everyones opinion's all at once.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 06:08 PM   #73
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I do not know where you are getting these feelings from. I think this is the most playful album they have made and not intellectual at all. It sounds like they were fucking around a lot more than trying to make you really dive into the music and "learn" something.
Keep in mind that Jihad has the music taste of a suburban 14-year-old living in the year 1998.

Last edited by Tsuchiya : 2007.09.25 at 06:16 PM.
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 06:14 PM   #74
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Hey guys, iz dat sum flaming? =Q

And Hedo, I was under the impression that everyone would rather me avoid your questions, so. y'know. But since you insist.

I suppose your Q was regarding the Bjork thing? Why can't that be Jihen's schtick? Well, if I started posting like HEDOfloe, people can tell it's not "really" whats coming from within, per se. And Shiina sorta hinted at that as very well. That this isn't really from within her, that what he had when i was 14 in 98 (and Shiina not too much older btw) is what was and is from within. Not frontin'

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.09.25 at 06:18 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 06:18 PM   #75
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
Like the previous Tokyo Jihen albums, here are Shiina's obscure English track "titles".

01 - Ramp
02 - Mirror-ball
03 - Box of goldfish
04 - Backstage
05 - O.S.C.A.
06 - My way
07 - Vengeance
08 - The citizens
09 - ss/aw
10 - Princesse mensuelle
11 - Sake & nondrinker
12 - Killer-tune
13 - Metro
where did this come from? This is a lot closer than Adult I must say, maybe except for backstage and my way.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 06:27 PM   #76
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

double post

goraku actually translates as "amusement" or "entertainment" and to Variety shows specifically, which I think explains the general lighthearted and sometimes cartoony element of some songs. In this sense I think the album captures and complete succeeds in doing what it was claimed to set out to be. I also think having all those types of genres bending together and working in the space of one album that still feels cohesive is a massive feat.

I was thinking and I reject the whole notion of an artist's work being weighed by how it stacks up against the proceeding work. Like with every album you should be topping yourself again and again. I think that is bullshit, each work is seperate and I think it is more of a feat to create work that is horizontal instead of vertical, rather, instead of trying to just constantly outdo yourself in work and hit a glass ceiling, to create work that is innovative and new and earns it spot next to other works as different and complimentary

this album fits so well on the shelf next to the previous two, even her solo work.

And I *love* SS/AW and Boutomin. I think I'm a weirdo....I like the keys. This album is very piano-centric I think...maybe that is a turn off for some, but it just increases the attraction to me.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2007.09.25 at 06:30 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 06:34 PM   #77
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I dont think its a matter of "topping" everytime. Of course, its a nice surprise. But there shouldnt be a incongruous drop of quality, and it should 'sound' like the same artist while showing "progression."

To illustrate my point, lets look a my fav mortal band, Oasis (*Tsuchiya chuckles*) They havent made an album that tops their sophomore album from back in 1995. The 4 albums afterwards, have all failed to be as great as that and their 94 debut. Howevva, none of them are shames. None of em "well, maybe I should pretend this album doesn't exist." They all have quality, they sound like Oasis and they show progression musically.

I don't think Variety fulfills all these aspects.
Old 2007.09.25, 06:35 PM   #78
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Hey guys, iz dat sum flaming? =Q

And Hedo, I was under the impression that everyone would rather me avoid your questions, so. y'know. But since you insist.

I suppose your Q was regarding the Bjork thing? Why can't that be Jihen's schtick? Well, if I started posting like HEDOfloe, people can tell it's not "really" whats coming from within, per se. And Shiina sorta hinted at that as very well. That this isn't really from within her, that what he had when i was 14 in 98 (and Shiina not too much older btw) is what was and is from within. Not frontin'
avoid my questions? That's ridiculous. Anyway, if you really wanted to avoid my questions just don't say stuff I will disagree with ^_~.

Anyway, what do you mean posting like me???? I see what you are saying though, she did say she was uncertain of whether to do styles she's done before or do something new again, but I don't think this is just questioning herself in the sense of "am I doing the right thing" but more in a tactical way. She said what styles she does not or cannot do and I think she feels they almost reached a point where they have to settle on a style because anything else would really not be "them".

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
double post

goraku actually translates as "amusement" or "entertainment" and to Variety shows specifically, which I think explains the general lighthearted and sometimes cartoony element of some songs. In this sense I think the album captures and complete succeeds in doing what it was claimed to set out to be. I also think having all those types of genres bending together and working in the space of one album that still feels cohesive is a massive feat.

I was thinking and I reject the whole notion of an artist's work being weighed by how it stacks up against the proceeding work. Like with every album you should be topping yourself again and again. I think that is bullshit, each work is seperate and I think it is more of a feat to create work that is horizontal instead of vertical, rather, instead of trying to just constantly outdo yourself in work and hit a glass ceiling, to create work that is innovative and new and earns it spot next to other works as different and complimentary

this album fits so well on the shelf next to the previous two, even her solo work.

And I *love* SS/AW and Boutomin. I think I'm a weirdo....I like the keys. This album is very piano-centric I think...maybe that is a turn off for some, but it just increases the attraction to me.
Wow, I totally agree with this post. I felt the exact same way about the title and I was going to mention that when I review all the tracks but you already said it. I also do not think you should judge an album based on another. I think its completely fine to compare albums, but I would never dislike or put down one album just because I thought another was better.

I also love the piano a lot which is one of the reasons why this band really intrigued me, beginning with HZM.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I dont think its a matter of "topping" everytime. Of course, its a nice surprise. But there shouldnt be a incongruous drop of quality, and it should 'sound' like the same artist while showing "progression."

To illustrate my point, lets look a my fav mortal band, Oasis (*Tsuchiya chuckles*) They havent made an album that tops their sophomore album from back in 1995. The 4 albums afterwards, have all failed to be as great as that and their 94 debut. Howevva, none of them are shames. None of em "well, maybe I should pretend this album doesn't exist." They all have quality, they sound like Oasis and they show progression musically.

I don't think Variety fulfills all these aspects.
But don't you think this has to do with the fact that they were trying to achieve different things? Tokyo Jihen and Ringo alone are/have trying/tried different styles consistently so if one is not to your preference, it does not mean it has a lack of quality. It's like you said before, you did not sign up for J-pop. It's a genre change, not a lack in quality. I'm more biased towards the album because I do like pop, but I'm not huge on it. Sure, looking at my avatar would tell you otherwise, but there is no way in hell I like any other pop as much as this album. Ayumi or most other pop groups just lack the depth to be more than just entertaining and this is the depth that I feel TJ has which you call a lack of quality or drop of quality.

But, I digress, basically I think Oasis and most other groups just want to improve whereas TJ wants to do something different at the same time. I still think this album sounds very experimental and I can only hope that I has been a great learning experience for them.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.25 at 06:41 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 06:36 PM   #79
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post

Thank you. The keys are brilliant and I think the most unexpected. Total '70s flavor and they always add so much to the songs.
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 06:38 PM   #80
Tokyo Jihad

I posted first, Hedo. You disagreed with me =P