Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.11.04, 12:13 PM   #101
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

"「IT WAS YOU」, American pop giant Burt Bacharach provides the music. Since being unveiled at RISING SUN ROCK FESTIVAL 2008 IN EZO, a recording has been long awaited by fans." That's a quick, cleaned up Google Translation.

This song is five years old and I've never heard of it. I'm slipping.
Old 2013.11.04, 07:07 PM   #102
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

IT WAS YOU is really beautiful, exactly the thing I always wanted her to do. she should do more songs in this chamber setting. why she waited until now to release it?

Last edited by matan-san : 2013.11.04 at 07:11 PM.
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.05, 07:33 AM   #103
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by thefro View Post
Probably an old talent considering how long she took piano lessons as a child. Good choice for this song considering the string quartet (and it gives up an "In My Life" vibe).
I was just about to post this. This song really does feel like Ringo's "In My Life". Honestly, upon first listen the song felt a little ho-hum until I got to the "But that's okay/Either way it's worth it" section. Little moments like that really show the musicality of Ringo's melodies in comparison to lifeless pop robots. The string section really gives the song life too. I like it, especially after repeated listens.
Old 2013.11.05, 08:39 AM   #104
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

As you guys have said, the video and song is evocative of classic Ringo. To be honest, I think Nu-Shiina appeals to me more than MM-era Ringo, sans Tadashii Mashii, Morphine, and on certain days Onaji Yoru and Suberidai, but the visual switch-up, if not the song, is very much appreciated in light of all the diva stuff that's come to the forefront in the last few years.

I don't think that the anniversary concert will be Bon Voyage 2, because for that tour, I reckon that she was going for a glam rock/manufactured pop star set-up. This could be the Saito Neko quartet concert, where the SG tracks aren't obsessively compulsively 'rocked in' like Electric Mole and retain their Nu-ness -- but are still arranged more humbly ala this track, Onaji Yoru, Beyond Today and Tomorrow, that one part of GX. SG popped.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2013.11.05 at 10:56 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.05, 12:08 PM   #105
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
Little moments like that really show the musicality of Ringo's melodies in comparison to lifeless pop robots.
I think Burt Bachrach composed this song, so sadly Ringo isn't responsible for the melody this time. it still doesn't detract from the beauty of the song. I wonder what propeled Bachrach to write a song for Ringo and how he came to know her in the first place. considering she's not very known in the west
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.05, 01:34 PM   #106
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It sounds like a Ringo melody until "to tell them, what love is, I'll say it was you" which sounds like an ambush if you're expecting an SR composition. To my ears at least.
Old 2013.11.06, 08:25 AM   #107
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
that one part of GX.
This makes me wonder how they are going to handle the encore section of GX on the new Blu-ray. Same scratchy audio segue-ing into full blast mode?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.07, 03:21 AM   #108
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Old 2013.11.07, 03:37 PM   #109
Scribble R

That photo makes me want to join the SR collector brigade, heh.
Old 2013.11.07, 04:46 PM   #110
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
If the packaging isn't enough, just wait until people start reviewing the blu-ray content. After all, many of us pre-ordered without already knowing what the packaging would look like. It will probably turn out that we didn't need to pre-order, though.

On another note, the blu-rays boxset is practically non-P2Pable, when you consider that not only will it consist of over 250 GB, but somebody would also have to upload it. So it won't really matter what our stance is on filesharing. Most/all of us won't be able to download the new blu-rays even if we wanted to, which means there's still some natural incentive to buy even if we couldn't care less about the packaging (or about supporting the artist/industry).