Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: What is your favourite English song by Tokyo Jihen?
Genjitsu o Warau 4 18.18%
Kenka Joutou 0 0%
Kabuki 0 0%
Fukushuu 1 4.55%
Kachi-ikusa 0 0%
Sweet Spot 3 13.64%
Atarashii Bunmei-kaika 2 9.09%
Osorubeki Otona-tachi 3 13.64%
Handsome-sugite 4 18.18%
Karada 0 0%
Kaban no Nakami 2 9.09%
Kao 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.11.09, 09:37 PM   #21
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

I have to admit that the language/lyrics variable while making a choice out of this list is barely a deciding factor to me: I'm not a native English speaker and I usually have a hard time understanding what's being sung in English, I guess it's because my ear is not that much used to it, mainly because I don't even try to focus on the lyrics while I listen to music, which is one of the reasons why I can dig into Japanese music despite the language barrier — so when it comes to Ringo, I understand less than a 20% of what she is saying.

On the other hand, the Japanese-English dichotomy does affect me when it comes to the music itself: I usually feel her more comfortable and expressive when she sings in her native language.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.10, 01:12 AM   #22
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think most singers sound more comfortable and expressive when they sing in their native language, Bjork included.

Utada, however, is an exception. I think she usually sounds better in english (even if her english lyrics are much worse than her japanese ones)
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.10, 02:44 AM   #23
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

She did grow up in NYC though, right?
Old 2012.11.10, 03:08 AM   #24
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
I have to admit that the language/lyrics variable while making a choice out of this list is barely a deciding factor to me: I'm not a native English speaker and I usually have a hard time understanding what's being sung in English
Me too! Even when going through the poll options, I kept saying to myself things like "Fukushuu is in english? Kaban no Nakami is in english??" These things never really registered to me.
Old 2012.11.10, 03:26 AM   #25
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
She did grow up in NYC though, right?
yeah, but I guess she spoke japanese at home so that may be considered her native language
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.10, 07:57 AM   #26
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Best song: Genjitsu (Too Handsome as runner up)
Best English lyrics: Kaban no Nakami (not just the actual poetry, but in Spa and Treatment, the way she performs them!)
Song with best music and lyric chemistry: New Civilization

Also, I wonder if she purposely wanted to evoke the Motown sound in Kaban no Nakami’s lyrics with such trivial/innocent subject matter that is the stuff in her bag. Motown music os kinda like that IIRC. Hope I’m not being mr obvious
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.10, 09:08 AM   #27
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm not really familiar with Motown music, but I think the song is about how people keep their memories in bags/objects. The bag is sort of... personal baggage?
"Stepping out today/My bag it seems to weigh a lot"

You take things that bother you and try to put them away and not think of them, but they are still a grudge/part of you
"Pointless things just put strain on my back/I’ll pack regard for you down in my bag alone"

Then you realize you need to just let things go, and instead of just not thinking of them, you should just get rid of them completely. If nothing is weighing you down you can be free
"If a car should hit me as I cross/There’ll be no keepsakes to embarrass me again"
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.20, 04:31 PM   #28
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Sweet Spot is one of my favorite Phase 2 tracks so it is natural for it to be high on any sort of ranking of mine. I'd love to hear this song on a singing competition show one day. Most of Jihen's English tracks haven't really had a home-run with me but Osorubeki Otona-tachi is following close behind. The lyrics are really good.

Adam and Eve would toss the apple away,
The Earth would turn the other way,
You'd live up far off on some barren star,
But down below you might hear us laughing.

Chills.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote