Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.06.07, 07:46 AM   #241
day

day pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
...according to the guy who made the website, Shiina was awesome but "she can be a little scary." Well, that's all I needed to hear. Scary Japanese rock star named Ringo. Got it. Easy to remember.
I loved that story Nimh.

I completely understand what that guy meant by "scary". I wasn't prepared for it when I played Ikiru for the first time. I was really into my anime at the time and japanese music wasn't alien to me. Earlier that week I bought my first hi-fi, floorstanders and all.

Zac Bentz kept waxing on about how awesome Ikiru was so I went out of my way to download some of those fancy FLAC rips that are floating around on the internetz. I pressed sports to a CD and did some crazy botch job on the Kanji with a MASSIVE felt marker (it looked like shit, but I was kind of proud).

I popped that CD in, turned it way up, so the streets could hear me. Sat back in my chair, dead centre between my speakers, eyes closed.. Pressed play... and I nearly died.

You know that feeling of surprise you get when somebody plants their icy, wintry hands on the back of your neck. Well, it felt like somebody did that but on a magnitude that would paralyse me for the next hour or so.

I was so impressed by sports i rushed to play her first three albums later that day all at the same volume. And it just escalated in awesome and scary. By the end I was just speechless and mindfucked in equal measures.

She's a scary lady, with a beautifully scary voice. No, Just scary.
Old 2011.08.02, 08:29 AM   #242
Solgitz

Solgitz pleased at least somebody

Hello all. I'll introduce myself here. Thought I get into another forum since utadanet is dormant.

I started collecting Shiina's music in mid-2008 after hearing "I Won't last a day without you" cover with Utada. It was Honnou at first and Sounan. I was pretty into them by 2010 with KZK and Sports. The last phase came two weeks ago when I watched Dynamite Out. I fell in love with Shiina all over again. I like music better when i have an image to associate it with...visual listener?
Solgitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.08, 10:43 PM   #243
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Hi! Welcome to EMF! We have a reputation for bickering here (amongst other things) so please don't let that scare u off we have lots of cool people here who know lots of cool music too. I encourage you to participate in all the music talk. And you can be as blunt as possible. Enjoy!
Old 2011.08.09, 08:38 AM   #244
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Hi! Welcome to EMF! We have a reputation for bickering here (amongst other things) so please don't let that scare u off we have lots of cool people here who know lots of cool music too. I encourage you to participate in all the music talk. And you can be as blunt as possible. Enjoy!

RAWR.

I WILL ROAST YOU

A MARSHMALLOW.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.26, 03:22 PM   #245
ambulocetus

ambulocetus pleased at least somebody

Hi all, This seems like a good place to de-lurk. I was really not much of a music person for a long time because it seemed like everything was crap. Then I started finding some really good artists on the youtube, and I started enjoying music again. But when I discovered SR/TJ all those other bands took a backseat. Now my MP3 player is 90% Ringo.
The first time I heard of her was when someone posted a link to a video of "OSCA" and said "check out these sexy dancers". At first I thought "more weirdness from Japan" but I found myself listening to it over and over. Then I looked up the lyrics and before you know it I could sing along even though my Japanese is less than kindergarten level. Then I got the whole album and I was hooked.
I took a couple semesters of Japanese and I once worked at a sushi bar, so I've had occasion to check out some JPop before, but nothing ever really grabbed me like Ms. Shiina's work. The first time I heard 'Gamble' I got a lump in my throat, and it's rare for any song to do that to me, let alone in another language.
I've been trying to get my friends interested with limited success. One guy thought I was listening to a bunch of different J-bands until I told him "not only is she a musical genius, but she's also a master of disguise."
Anyway, glad I found this place. I was starting to think I was her only "gaijin" fan.
Old 2011.09.26, 05:50 PM   #246
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ambulocetus View Post
I've been trying to get my friends interested with limited success. One guy thought I was listening to a bunch of different J-bands until I told him "not only is she a musical genius, but she's also a master of disguise."
I tried to socially engineer a Q&A session like that, but the way the scenario really played out, was "Do ALL female Japanese vocalists sound shrieky like that?". Sometimes you just can't win.
Old 2011.11.11, 04:14 AM   #247
Tai-Jin

Tai-Jin pleased at least somebody

First heard Shiina Ringo on the Amai Yamai song by Maboroshi, always loved her voice but never really got around to figuring out who she was. Then I stumbled upon Tokyo Jihen on Last.fm and I was instantly in love with her! Damn I feel like I've wasted so much time not listening to her lol
Tai-Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.21, 07:22 AM   #248
manwonman

manwonman pleased at least somebody
Default Haunting...

First let me say that this is my first post after posting in the introduction thread. I read every post on each of the 25 pages of this thread. My story is quite different. I don't listen to any other Japanese musical artist, outside of Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen. I grew up listening to hip-hop, and still enjoy listening to hip-hop. I don't like a whole lot of rock or pop (be it the K, J, Euro or American varieties). I have never been into manga, anime or American comics. I'm not generally entertained by the music, film, or other cultural exports of the Far East (even though I've lived in Seoul since 2004).

So...why am I here? How did I become such a big fan of Ringo and TJ?

Good questions.

My first exposure to either SR or TJ was a video that one of my best friends posted on facebook. He raved about how amazing it was, but he had been prone to hyperbole, so I was skeptical. I watched it...and shed the manliest tear of my life...the first time I watched it. I proceeded to watch this brilliance for the next hour...on repeat. The video was the Dynamite Out performance of Ekimae. This very close friend of mine (we lived around the corner from each other and met for coffee or a meal at least 50% of the days he was in Seoul) was on a business trip to Japan at the time, but when he returned for a few days, we met and he told me a little bit about Ringo and TJ. I thought it sounded cool but our discussion turned towards more shop talk. I didn't think much more about the musicians, after my friend took off on another business trip to Indonesia and Malaysia. The very next post after Ekimae, turned out to be a picture of his nice hotel room in Malaysia. That was his last ever post to facebook. He flew to Indonesia, and was stabbed to death by robbers on a motorcycle.

It was a great loss to me, and everyone who even met him for even the briefest of moments. Every time I happened upon his page, Ekimae was there to greet me. I went down the youtube rabbit hole and was impressed by Ringo's versatility and the inclusion of a prominent pianist in a rock outfit.

My friend and I always recommended new things to each other...this was his final recommendation to me. It was also the best.

I have since procured all of SR & TJ studio LPs and all of TJ's concert DVDs. I rarely listen to anything else when I drive or wear headphones while out and about. I put on a concert dvd at least 3 nights a week. I find new things to be fascinated about with every view or listen. I'm hopeless.
manwonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.22, 09:23 AM   #249
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by manwonman View Post
The video was the Dynamite Out performance of Ekimae.
Name:  SimonCowell.gif
Views: 93
Size:  722.3 KB
We will get along.
Old 2012.10.06, 08:58 PM   #250
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by manwonman View Post
This very close friend of mine (we lived around the corner from each other and met for coffee or a meal at least 50% of the days he was in Seoul) was on a business trip to Japan at the time, but when he returned for a few days, we met and he told me a little bit about Ringo and TJ. I thought it sounded cool but our discussion turned towards more shop talk. I didn't think much more about the musicians, after my friend took off on another business trip to Indonesia and Malaysia. The very next post after Ekimae, turned out to be a picture of his nice hotel room in Malaysia. That was his last ever post to facebook. He flew to Indonesia, and was stabbed to death by robbers on a motorcycle.

It was a great loss to me, and everyone who even met him for even the briefest of moments. Every time I happened upon his page, Ekimae was there to greet me. I went down the youtube rabbit hole and was impressed by Ringo's versatility and the inclusion of a prominent pianist in a rock outfit.

My friend and I always recommended new things to each other...this was his final recommendation to me. It was also the best.

I have since procured all of SR & TJ studio LPs and all of TJ's concert DVDs. I rarely listen to anything else when I drive or wear headphones while out and about. I put on a concert dvd at least 3 nights a week. I find new things to be fascinated about with every view or listen. I'm hopeless.
Oh, I love that story. And I'm really sorry for the loss of your friend, that's absolutely awful. I have several things I like now that were recommended to me by friends who later died, or interests we shared and discussed often (Ringo is one of them for me and one of those friends), and it really heightens your enjoyment of those things. I absolutely sympathize.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote