Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.04.16, 09:51 PM   #1
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default What song would you want SR to do a cover of?

Special by Garbage

I think this song would make a great SR cover if she was still in the SS era. Now I'm not so sure. She might just butcher the whole song with strings and brasses.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.04.28 at 08:52 PM. Reason: because evil GooTube removed the video. :(
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 04:59 AM   #2
Loire
Founder

Loire pleased at least somebody

I don't think her singing is that good honestly (but it's ok for her songs I think). She really shines as songwriter so I prefer her to sing original songs.. the double cover album was enough
Old 2007.04.17, 05:23 AM   #3
Chiugai

Chiugai pleased at least somebody

I'd like to see Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen try covering some Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins, a couple of my favorite bands. Modest Mouse is another possibility. Getting even more obscure here, Porcupine Tree is another band that I have wild fantasies of Tokyo Jihen trying. >_>

I know she did Creep, which was alright, but Creep isn't really that great of a song to begin with. One of Radiohead's weakest.

Some Radiohead songs I think SR/TJ could try to do:

"You"
"My Iron Lung"
"Paranoid Android" (that would DEFINITELY be wild)
"Electioneering"

Some of Shiina's early work really had a grungy sound and reminded me of the Smashing Pumpkins at times. Here's some songs that I think could work...

"Today"
"Tonight, Tonight" (would be really interesting if TJ could pull off a unique rendition)

As for Modest Mouse...

"A Different City"
"The Stars are Projectors"

and finally Porcupine Tree:

"Blackest Eyes"

Perhaps my tastes are a bit eclectic, but I've barely scratched the surface. I could go on and on...A Perfect Circle, Weezer, Beatles, Ben Folds, Jimmy Eat World, etc...I think I'll stop now.
Chiugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 05:50 AM   #4
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think every song sounds so much better with SR on vocals
so even if she cover a shit, it would be good

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 06:31 AM   #5
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

See, I'm with Justinriingo and goin with Garbage too. I've made allusions to Shiina and Garbage before. Cept I'd go with "I think I'm paranoid" or "Vow." If she insists on going the "senior citizen-ringoran" route, "You look so Fine" would defy and still be good, I think I think.

Chiugai's idea of a Shiina cover of "Electioneering" piques my fancy. And Beatles, yes, we need some more Beatles covers up in here. "I feel Fine" --and Uki might even sound good on it!

I also think it'd be pretty rawk if Shiina covered Slade's "Come on Feel the noize" You all know the song, even if you probly don't know the original version.
Old 2007.04.17, 07:26 AM   #6
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I'd really like her to do Alanis Morrissette songs, anything from "Jagged Little Pill." I know Alanis is like Ringo-lite but it'd still be pretty cool.

Also, "Too Drunk to F**k" by the Dead Kennedys.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 07:32 AM   #7
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Stealing other people's previously mentioned bands, I'd like to hear her do a rendition of Radiohead's "Idioteque." As for Beatles songs I think she and Tokyo Jihen would do pretty well with, there's "I'm Only Sleeping," "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite (which sure would be unique)," "Helter Skelter (ahhh, that'd be amazing)," "You Never Give Me Your Money (a good TJ song, I think)," and a duet with Ukigumo on "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey." Now I'm excited.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 07:41 AM   #8
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

I would LOVE Shiina to do a cover of Fiona Apple's "Get Him Back"
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 07:50 AM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite (which sure would be unique), "You Never Give Me Your Money " and a duet with Ukigumo
Huh, You never give me your money. I actually have a hard time imagining this, so I'm tres interested. Mr. Kite is totally a song Shiina would cover. "Everybody's got something to hide..." I'd really like to hear, but from Kyoiku-era Jihen and Hirama singing (I also think "Lady Madonna" would sound good with this configuration.) Ooh, or how bout a Kao-style duet, but with "Two of us"?

How bout "Lovely Rita," "Wait," " Your Mother Should Know," "We can Work it Out," "Good Morning, Good Morning"? Thse might sound good from Shiina.
Old 2007.04.17, 08:00 AM   #10
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Hey hey hey, enough rock songs already! SR doesn't only do one genre! We all miss rock-Ringo, but she's a different creature now.

Actually, I'd really want SR to sing something enka again. I like it when her voice goes really deep when she sings enka. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of enka to nominate a song.

Another interesting cover would be the bossa nova classic Desafinado. She could do a duet with urm, urm... Mukai Shutoku.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.04.17 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo! in Desafinado.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote