Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.10.28, 06:40 AM   #801
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

How I saw this thread.

>implying
>implying implication
>implying about implication that has been implied
>"OH NO YOU DIDN'T", said the stereotypical sassy black woman voice
>argument end
>comments about the argument
>implying
>implying implication
>implying about implication that has been implied
>???
>PROFIT!!!
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.28, 09:17 AM   #802
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I feel like I'm on trial and need to explain myself.

As I said, KSK is overrated because of the arrangement. The fact that she used a billion instruments on the album blinds some. It leads to statements such as:

the arrangements show a musical depth and complexity that hasn't been reproduced in Shiina's work.
Which is ridiculous. Songs such as Tadashii Machi, Onaji Yoru, Yokushitsu, Yami ni Furu Ame, Sakana, Izonshou, and Aozora among others showcase the same depth and musical complexity as the songs on KSK. Unfortunately, they don't get their proper due because their roots are in pop/alt rock instead of pretentious avant-garde or orchestrated music.

Never once did I say re-arranging a song makes the original less memorable and never once did I say Meisai lacked musical complexity. I laughed at Meisei being used as an example of the musical complexity that only KSK could deliver because it and Odaijini are the two songs from KSK that still easily fit on SS. Replace Sakana with Meisai and you don't skip a beat.
Old 2011.10.28, 10:55 AM   #803
Maou

I know the mods hate double posts, but...

To get back on the topic of the Discovery tour: It was bland. Maybe it was just an off night, but they didn't bring it like they did with Ultra C. The energy levels weren't their. The show musically was just like a normal Adult or Variety tour show. I thought maybe they turned the corner with Ultra C, but this was right back to square one.

If you didn't like the single version of Carnation, I can't imagine you liking the Discovery version. It has a band arrangement, but the attitude is the same. It still lacks the energy, build up and excitement that the original was criticized for lacking.
Old 2011.10.28, 11:10 AM   #804
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Replace Sakana
Don't you ever dare.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.28, 11:25 AM   #805
Maou

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
Don't you ever dare.
Haha, all I'm saying is that Meisai wouldn't feel out of place on SS and Sakana wouldn't feel out of place on KSK. Great songs man.
Old 2011.10.28, 11:31 AM   #806
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

This is the part in the discussions where I realize we have actually been agreeing the whole time. This usually happens because I don't fully understand what the other person is actually arguing.

About Sakana, Izonshou, Yami ni Furu Ame, Yokushitsu, Onaji Yoru, and Aozora, I agree completely. I guess I wasn't really thinking when I wrote that.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.28, 02:05 PM   #807
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

And could we just get rid of the term JPop? It's not descriptive, and it's not even a genre. It's just grouping all Japanese music into one category when there are distinctly different genres present. Shiina is rock, AKB48 is idol pop, Utada is electronic, Ayu is pop-rock (for the most part), Namie Amuro is hip-hop/R&B/pop/whatever, and so on.

As for the actual tour itself, what Maou said is disappointing. I've been watching Ringo Expo for awhile now, and I'm going to eventually watch DO, but I kinda wanted to see a new tour from them that was amazing, especially considering how much I loved Dai-hakken.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.28, 04:25 PM   #808
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

MM, SS, KSK and SG all get deadgrandma ticks.

They're all just as good as each other, cept SG which I like a tiny bit better because I play that a lot more, when I get up, when I drive the car, during sex (Shun go go go) plus you know, it's my favourite face of Ringo, which is probably why I'm the only one who thinks Onna Ka Wa Daredemo is the best on Daihakken. Or maybe I'm just turning into a (I got told off for using the word I wanted to use before)

I can kinda sorta understand Maous dilemna with KSK, but... the whole 'overrated' thing is pretty unimportant when albums like "OK Computer" and "Master of Puppets" exist. These I cannot understand personally. They're both good, but "OK Computer" sounds like weaker "The Bends" and "Master of Puppets" is outdone infinitely by "...And Justice For All". But you know, each to their goddamn own. Maybe it's from general 'historical' in the history of music thing that dictates KSK too.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing on KSK being overrated, cause I don't think its any better or worse than the first two albums. I can however, understand why outsiders would be attracted to KSK more, the first 2 are very similar to in alt rock in the west, KSK sounds* unique (at least at first) and gives a motivation to pursue it further if you have no interest in Japanese music at all.

*emphasis on the sounds like

My intentions for this will probably get lost because again I'm having hard time putting it into words. It's by no means an attack on the first 2 Ringo releases, I enjoy them as much as any other fan.
Old 2011.10.30, 09:59 PM   #809
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I think the problem lies in the fact that some people here have difficulty appreciating how the marketing/image aspects of an artist has an inextricable relationship with the music itself. So, while I don't think Shiina Ringo and Morning Musume necessarily sound the same, I think they still fall within the same genre of music. I don't get why that's such a dirty comparison to make, anyway; at their peak MM made some of the best pop music ever. Anyhow, this isn't something that is going to be resolved just by me explaining it like this (especially if there is immense resistance/stubbornness against accepting a point of view that is different from theirs), so I guess, yes, it's not a very productive discussion.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.31, 07:59 AM   #810
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
productive discussion.
I'm trying to think when there's ever been "productive discussion" on a site like this. By that I mean, when has someone's views completely changed and evolved by virtue of an online forum exchange?

I almost feel like starting a "testimonial" thread: How has Electric Mole Forums altered your opinions and made you grateful for it?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote