Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.18, 02:33 PM   #11
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It's nothing special.
I hear a lot of ringo elements in it, definitely something close to ringo's style of songwriting. I can hear so many of her previous songs in it. However, it feels like one of those songs she wrote in 5 minutes (and spent 3 weeks adapting it to an orchestra).

Or maybe it's just the orchestra that's pissing me off. (Funny, cuz I used to play in one and I miss that.) Maybe an acoustic version would have more magic to it.
Old 2009.04.18, 05:41 PM   #12
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Yay I agree with this girl for maybe the second time ever!
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 06:01 PM   #13
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

7.5/10. Good Ringo song, could be great; marred by the orchestra.
Old 2009.04.18, 06:04 PM   #14
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Like everyone else, I believe the orchestra is the only bad part of it.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 06:33 PM   #15
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction

it's a 9/10 for me, everything is great and i wish she didn't change the arrangement in the album version (well at least for this song). and again what's with the orchestraphobia man, ringo can come up with different music genre that's what makes her different from other j-pop/rock and this song would sounds cheap if there's a rock version. she's grown up (musically) and she won't go back to the old ringo again! get over it! it's like steping on the same place, but she's walking forward!
letemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 07:40 PM   #16
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by letemp View Post
what's with the orchestraphobia man, ringo can come up with different music genre that's what makes her different from other j-pop/rock and this song would sounds cheap if there's a rock version. she's grown up (musically) and she won't go back to the old ringo again! get over it! it's like steping on the same place, but she's walking forward!
She could have stopped with the orchestras at Baishou Ecstasy and nobody would have 'hated' her. Now after Phase 2 Tokyo Jihen came along, there's been at least two more years of Saito Neko.

You've got the Ringohan thing that happened in 2006 with almost-identical versions of Baishou Ecstasy on some of the arrangements, but this 'new' performance didn't get released until February 2007 - and not before KYNK in January 2007. Then you've got Heisei Fuuzoku on that same release date with almost-identical arrangements on some of the Ringohan performances that were or weren't also identical to the Baishou Ecstasy arrangements. Then in April 2007, Heisei Fuuzoku gets super-milked in at least three other forms you could buy it in. At some other point in 2007, you've got TV-only performances with Saito Neko for songs like Tsumi to Batsu, which were not so different from the arrangements performed in Ringo EXPO in late 2008 and then released in March 2009.

We don't hate orchestras here. We're just becoming Nekophobes, that's all. Many of us still have no problem with revisiting Mayonaka wa Junketsu (the single as a whole).

You could choose to call this "walking forward" but I look at it more like walking in circles. This circle can't be broken until Shiina Ringo finally ditches Saito Neko, and it's sorta looking like he's having little or nothing to do with Sanmon Gossip. That would be extremely refreshing.
Old 2009.04.18, 08:49 PM   #17
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
We don't hate orchestras here. We're just becoming Nekophobes, that's all.
lol ok i got ur point now
and yes maybe he's stick around too long i agree with that, but it's the good period though. i think ringo's looks and music style become more fabulous and classy during this period too that's why i like it. ok back to the topic, Yokyou is definitely a great song for what it is regardless of the involvement of that filthy cat.
letemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 09:42 PM   #18
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yokyou is a great song. the horns really add to the whole song. I'm not sure what the studio production will utilize, but it is pretty nice on EXPO. I'm curious to see what it would sound like if the orchestra was taken off, except the horns, and the whole thing was given a dirtier tone. as it is on EXPO, the song feels very grand. worthy of a queen.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.19, 03:59 AM   #19
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Why so much hate for the orchestra? I love it. I think it really adds to the song a lot.
Old 2009.04.19, 04:29 AM   #20
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm okay with the orchestra in "Youkyou" too, as long as it keeps the drums and guitar.
So what I mean is that I love the EXPO version.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote