Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do You Like ADULT?
Oh yeah, definitely 45 72.58%
Not really / Not at all 2 3.23%
I like it, but it's not the greatest 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.06.05, 06:42 AM   #41
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Chiugai View Post
I listen to a really wide variety of music, especially rock and jazz. The blending of genres and the range of different sounds on Adult was really satisfying for me.
Thats why I like it so much as well, because although I like kyouiku it is just rock but ADULT has such a wide range of sounds that makes it more enjoyable to me.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 07:23 AM   #42
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
kyouiku it is just rock
That's it. Go listen to Kyoiku again. And I dont even like Kyoiku better than any non-HF album. But thats the biggest 4ail I've heard on this forum yet.

If anyone thinks Adults the first time Shiina's blended rock and jazz, I invite you to listen to the first Koufukuron single and work your way back to the present releases cuz...

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.06.05 at 07:41 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 08:26 AM   #43
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
That's it. Go listen to Kyoiku again. And I dont even like Kyoiku better than any non-HF album. But thats the biggest 4ail I've heard on this forum yet.

If anyone thinks Adults the first time Shiina's blended rock and jazz, I invite you to listen to the first Koufukuron single and work your way back to the present releases cuz...
Not all the tracks are just rock but I think that in general, that is how you would describe phase one. And no one said ADULT is the first time that Ringo blended rock with jazz, I'm just saying that its the reason I like ADULT more than Kyouiku.
Old 2007.06.05, 09:16 AM   #44
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I wouldn't say Adult has a wider variety of sounds then the Kyouiku era considering it gave us Sounan, Ringo no Uta, Omatsuri Sawagi, Kokoro, Kao, and Gunjou Biyori. None of them are alike. You're starting to sound like you're one of those people who think music that has an actual guitar presence (aka real guitar) is all the same.
Old 2007.06.05, 09:45 AM   #45
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

As much as I like Phase 1, even I think Kyoiku is less cogent compared to Adult, and thus less successful as an album. What I like about Kyoiku is that it sounds like all the band members are having so much fun (and maybe even getting slightly carried away with it), while on Adult it's more serious. I'm not implying that fun = good and serious = bad; it's just the impression I get after going through both albums.

I mean, just look at the PVs! (If you can't tell by just listening.) Dynamite! That dancing and those outrageously sexy boudoir costumes, SR never did anything like that before! And all the twisting and turning and layering in Sounan! I like! Meanwhile Shuraba is kinda nice but plain, and Himitsu takes the cake as the most boring SR/TJ PV that I can recall now.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.06.05 at 10:00 AM.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 10:06 AM   #46
Maou

See, I think the true potential of the Kyouiku era only came out during the Dynamite! tour. I think the album sounds like ass and that's the reason it's near the bottom of the album list for me. Had they taken more time to fiddle with some of the instruments instead of rushing the recording it may have been my second favorite album behind Muzai. The actual songs are appealing to me, but the poor recording kills it.

Adult sounds too sterile at times (Uki at all times) for me.

Last edited by Maou : 2007.06.05 at 10:13 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 01:40 PM   #47
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I wouldn't say Adult has a wider variety of sounds then the Kyouiku era considering it gave us Sounan, Ringo no Uta, Omatsuri Sawagi, Kokoro, Kao, and Gunjou Biyori. None of them are alike. You're starting to sound like you're one of those people who think music that has an actual guitar presence (aka real guitar) is all the same.
I did not say any of those songs sounded similar or anything, I just think that they would go under the rock genre. That doesn't mean that I think anything with a guitar is rock. I don't know how you could derive that I think anything with a guitar is the same from what I said before. I tagged both albums as J-Rock but I just feel that its harder to just say that ADULT is rock because it is more pop/rock +jazz in my opinion.

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
As much as I like Phase 1, even I think Kyoiku is less cogent compared to Adult, and thus less successful as an album. What I like about Kyoiku is that it sounds like all the band members are having so much fun (and maybe even getting slightly carried away with it), while on Adult it's more serious. I'm not implying that fun = good and serious = bad; it's just the impression I get after going through both albums.
Yea, thats what I liked about Phase 1 as well, that each member really stood out separately on the songs. I do not think the ADULT music is very serious, but I do agree that the visual presentation was. I do not, however, think that it should stop you from liking the music itself.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.06.05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2007.06.05, 02:13 PM   #48
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I definitely do not find Adult to be serious in tone. Overall, it's quite playful, but in a rather sarcastic way. I think Kyoiku is the more "serious" of the two. It's more upfront and doesn't use as many tricks. Adult is more backhanded comedy, darker humor. Come on, the presentation is based on the "perfume/cologne ad" genre!

Agree with Maou's comments about the production value of the two discs.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 02:57 PM   #49
Maou

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I did not say any of those songs sounded similar or anything, I just think that they would go under the rock genre. That doesn't mean that I think anything with a guitar is rock. I don't know how you could derive that I think anything with a guitar is the same from what I said before.
Kind of the same way you put words in my mouth when we were arguing over the depth of Luna Sea. I wouldn't put any of those songs under the same genre. "Rock" is way too generic of a term for me and doesn't completely fit the album. I could label John Mayer and Guns N' Roses as rock, but that doesn't seem very accurate, no?
Old 2007.06.05, 03:23 PM   #50
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Kyouiku = guitar-driven
Adult = instrument-driven
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote