Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2013.11.20, 05:08 PM   #61
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

YES
Finally a Ringo-sung version of Tsukiyou no Shouzo!!!

I can't wait for the DVD release of these.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.20, 05:13 PM   #62
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

This isn't full orchestra versions... Its way more stripped back by sounds of it. Well, compared to Expo/Bon Voyage anyway. I ain't complaining. The exact opposite, actually, I gotta hear these.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.11.20 at 05:17 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.25, 07:41 AM   #63
Keitorin

Keitorin pleased at least somebody

Hey guys! Just registered so I could post about the shows. I went last night. First Ringo show ever, 10 years waiting for that day. I have to echo what has been said - a bit too much soft jazz-type stuff, not enough fast tunes at all. Very few old songs too. Tons of SG. Some of the arrangements were crazy good though and brought new life to the newer songs.

Her voice is something else though! Soooo good...

Overall I think this is one of my least favourite live shows she's done in her career, but it was still so good to go.
Keitorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.26, 03:50 AM   #64
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So Kyary Pamyu Pamyu went to tonight's show (as an audience member) and tweeted about it. I don't know whether this itself is anything noteworthy or important in the scheme of things, but at least I can give her brownie points for being into Shiina Ringo.

However, the pictures from the NicoNicoDouga stream are interesting. Looks like Ringo's been funny hat shopping once again, hope to see this part of the stream sooner or later:

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.11.26 at 03:56 AM.
Old 2013.11.26, 06:16 AM   #65
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
I was at the show last night (11.19). Honestly... I'm really disappointed. Almost nothing I wanted to hear live was played, and so many things I don't care at all about were. I sat there thinking, "Jihad would haaaaate this..." haha. It was not the rock Ringo concert I had been hoping against hope would happen - instead it was very sedate, jazzy, upscale, much like Dai-ikkai Ringohan Taikai. I had been hoping the jazzy/slow songs at the beginning were just one part, as soon as I realized there wasn't a guitar in the orchestra I was like ohhhh noooooo. Then after the third song she told us to sit down. It was like "Oh, it's going to be that kind of concert. Great."
Thank you for your report as usual, Frecklegirl. I really love several of the new songs on the setlist, at least from a sonic standpoint if not emotionally. I can't imagine some of the tracks would translate well into a jazzy-orchestral arrangement, especially the ones I was most excited about (such as "Tsukiyo no Shouzou" and "Tokai no Manaa"). Sometimes I wonder if disgruntled feminist Ringo was really our projections onto her and that the wistful "Onna no Ko wa Daredemo" Ringo has been the genuine Ringo all along. I mean, I still think she's pretty much the greatest, but.
Old 2013.11.26, 06:37 AM   #66
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think it's pretty hard to argue pre-phase 2 Shiina as a projection. The things she did, the things she made all pointed to a pro-individual, pro-female statement. She was counter-culture (in an admittedly commercial, hit factory sort of way) and now she is not. Her statement may still be pro-female, but it seems very much in a "stay inside the lines" kind of way. Which is fine, if underwhelming or muted to some on the outside.
Old 2013.11.26, 07:05 AM   #67
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

True. People change. Maybe I'm oversimplifying her development a bit...

Also, Frecklegirl, I read that some of the songs were sung in English. Did anything strike as you as being interesting or wonky about the translations of the songs, or were they pretty right-on? I have a love-hate relationship with Robbie Clark. Haha.
Old 2013.11.26, 03:36 PM   #68
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The things she did, the things she made all pointed to a pro-individual, pro-female statement.
I never hear such trash in her music. >
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.26, 04:19 PM   #69
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

[B]めざまし 椎名林檎デビュー15周年![/B]

natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.27, 08:16 PM   #70
deadgrandma

I noticed that the Toukatai shirts are completely different to the Hantakai shirts.... could this suggest that they are indeed different shows? Or just a way to make a quick couple thousand yen?

I kinda hope they're different, at least different setlists and we get 2 blu rays. My wallet hopes they're the same show.

Hantakai are fanclub only right? Or was that the cinema sessions? Surely they wouldn't pull a 'rock' show for a smaller audience? That would be crazy and piss off a lot of people...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.11.27 at 08:21 PM.