Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.08.29, 04:02 PM   #11
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Well, the point I was trying to make is that yeah, people know who she is, but just like any other artist she has her fans, but also the people that don't care either way, just like any other artist.

Utadah seems to be in a similar boat, but she's been on hiatus for a long time now. I'm not sure Japan would be as infatuated with her when she decides to make a comeback. She was wildly more popular than Shiina ever was back in her most popular days though, wasn't she?
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.08.29, 04:55 PM   #12
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Shiina Ringo is not an intellectual persuit. Honnou and Tsumi to Batsu are literally screaming "I am not intellectual! I am inarticulate emotion!" as are the first tracks for Sports and Dai-Hakken.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2014.08.29 at 05:42 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.08.30, 01:05 AM   #13
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Shiina Ringo is not an intellectual persuit. Honnou and Tsumi to Batsu are literally screaming "I am not intellectual! I am inarticulate emotion!" as are the first tracks for Sports and Dai-Hakken.
Are you serious?
Old 2014.08.30, 04:21 AM   #14
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
Are you serious?
Yes.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.08.30, 06:32 AM   #15
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

What are you talking about?
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.08.30, 06:40 AM   #16
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
I honestly don't see Ringo as any different from some random artist in America. Some people like her, some people know of her but don't listen to her, or some people don't like her at all. She had her hey day and a decent amount of the population knows about her as a result. She's not hugely popular as some high-selling pop artists, but she has her casual and die-hard fans. You can tell just by watching any of her live shows that her fan base varies a lot. You'll see older and younger generations, both male and female.
I think this is probably the case. I used to get the vibe that she was very divisive, but fans of probably anyone in the U.S. would say the same thing about their idols. I do remember someone pointing out how most of the fans in the front rows in the early days were male, and as her career developed, it seemed to be more predominantly female fans at concerts. I'll try to look out for that next time I watch one of her concerts.
Old 2014.08.30, 10:20 AM   #17
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The concert I went to, seemed like it was majority women by a pretty big margin.
I get the sense that she WAS a bit of a has-been but now has a career resurgence due to her drama tie-ins and NIPPON especially.

EDIT: My opinion is that Utada is VERY much a past sort of artist. Especially since she's in a hiatus right now. And Ayumi is not the powerhouse she used to be.
I mean, think about it: how many super-popular artist from the early 2000's are still around just as popular as before?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.08.30, 11:33 PM   #18
anonlurker

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
I honestly don't see Ringo as any different from some random artist in America. Some people like her, some people know of her but don't listen to her, or some people don't like her at all. She had her hey day and a decent amount of the population knows about her as a result. She's not hugely popular as some high-selling pop artists, but she has her casual and die-hard fans. You can tell just by watching any of her live shows that her fan base varies a lot. You'll see older and younger generations, both male and female.
Yeah that seems/feels about right. She's clearly had her day in regards to being this massive thing, but she's still popular with her old fans and maybe a few new ones on the back of the tie-ins. The kind of act who you'll go see when they're in your town to hear the hits but maybe not pay too much attention to their current activities.

That's pretty much how it goes for most acts who have been about as long as she has. No real surprise. We probably inflate her relevance a little more because this is a Ringo board after all.
Old 2014.09.01, 07:40 AM   #19
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Who's Shiina Ringo?

Oh that other person that isn't Seiko Oomori :-p
Old 2014.09.01, 08:10 AM   #20
anonlurker

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Who's Shiina Ringo?

Oh that other person that isn't Seiko Oomori :-p
I heard she's big in China in the bootleg scene!