Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.05.03, 12:11 PM   #581
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
"No no, I wasn't doing what I truly wanted then. I always wanted to sell gum and make up."
lol, she covered Hitachi no Ki in her demotapes so it isn't totally out of the realm of possibilities. I always got the impression that Ringo wasn't ever totally sure what she wanted, but I know for certain she didn't want to be perceived as one-dimensional. It seems lately (as in, the last 5 years or so) she has been forming herself to the status quo social roles of a woman, and from that position making covert critiques of society. She still has an indomitable spirit, but it seems like she cares much less about the bigger picture than she once did.
I'd like to see her with giant, wild hair tearing up the stage like she once did, but I enjoy the 'proper lady' side of her as well. Her music seems to me to have gotten less personal over the years, despite its immense creative power. And yet, she claimed in an interview last year that recording Sports was one of the loneliest, darkest points in her personal life. The music didn't reflect that. It's high time she reclaimed her misery.
Old 2011.05.03, 12:17 PM   #582
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@kuro_neko
What is experimental music other than a big "fuck you!" to everyone who thinks music should be a certain way? That's what innovative music is, it always starts as a counter-movement.

I recognize that the Shiina we see on stage, whether in the past, or in the present, is always going to be a persona. All performers are personas. She is just as honest to herself now as she was before, because she was never truly honest before. When you're a part of a subculture, you lose part of your identity because you become part of the group. When Shiina was a punk-rock chick, she wasn't "brave" or "rebellious", she was just part of the group.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 12:24 PM   #583
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Fickle is woman.

*shields up, Scotty*
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 03:43 PM   #584
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I dont know, this also sounds pretty revisionist. "I must have known/felt then what I know now, and I don't agree with my old self, thus I wasn't acting like myself." I call bullshit.
^ Yep.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 07:46 PM   #585
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
@kuro_neko
What is experimental music other than a big "fuck you!" to everyone who thinks music should be a certain way? That's what innovative music is, it always starts as a counter-movement.
I disagree. Experimental music is experimental when compared to mainstream, yes, but that is what separates trash like Lady Gaga from artists like Sia. You can be genuine and still be quirky, its the difference between initially setting out to be "different," and just following your heart.

YUKI is a good example IMO. She made much more rebellious music when she was younger, part of JAM, and then even into her solo albums, like Prismic and Commune. But she has reached a maturity and her music nowadays is what might be considered adult contemporary pop, but its just so genuine its infectious. I am not a middle-aged woman (that I know of...) but I can't help but connect to it because it is genuine and coming from the honest and true joy within her, she just is living and breathing through her music.

ringo's music has felt contrived and overly thought-out for quite some time. every now and then gems like Ariamaru Tomi slip through, but I think ringo needs to return to the drawing board and really consider why she is making music to begin with. Is it because she wants to disprove all those things that were said and continue to be said about her based on a few years of rebellious youth? or is it because she still has something left to say.

I don't know who the current "ringo" is, she has always been a persona, and she remains even more mysterious these days. I don't know who she is or what she wants, and I don't think she knows either, hence why her music is all over the place.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 10:42 PM   #586
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

"I don't like my former self." - Shiina Ringo

EMF still brags about KZK, MM, SS while dissing Sports, Variety and new singles.

W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 11:24 PM   #587
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I like that her music is all over the place.

Consistency is for sissies.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.04, 02:57 AM   #588
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I personally think it's impossible to do a psychoanalysis of SR using a few drips of translated interview.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.04, 05:03 AM   #589
baruga

baruga has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

Brofist! All of my favorite artists throw consistency out the window.
baruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.04, 06:21 AM   #590
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

But this isn't what were talking about. We're talking about old more personal, powerful work to newer less personal, more contrived work and the disownment of old.

I think a lot of us here like artists that evolve over time, but the good ones rarely say "oh I used to act like a moron and sing songs I didn't agree with." even for artists that have changed for the better over time.