Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.08.13, 05:36 PM   #11
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

I had tremendous respect for a singer that sings with all their voice. As a singer myself, I am glad she is singing. It makes me...warm inside. Her singing was like that of a 70's soul singer. Full chested and heart-felt. I don't think I've ever heard a japanese person sing with such passion, short of ringo-hime's belting...not saying they aren't out there, just saying I haven't heard them.

As a man, I am very attracted to her. She is a looker in my opinion and I would love to see more pvs.

As a music listener, I thought that the song was great. I really enjoyed the bass, it was doing a great job. Not too crazy about guitars in general, but it sounded okay. The vocal melody was great, and it's stuck in my head now I am glad I heard miss shigi, thanks black cat. Uhm... in the PV it said that it was the chameleon version...What does that mean? Was that the guy in the background?

EDIT: SUGEEE! I just watched that live performance you linked to. Seeing her live, it cements it. I love thos girl, I'm expecting big things from her! I liked the live performance more than the pv. At the end when it was just her guitar, the chord changes she was playing were giving me goosebumps (a rare honor, most musician will never have). Oh I love her voice, its a combination between mika nakashima's low voice and gackto's virbrado. Mika has a damn good voice, but combining it with gackto's virbrado was interesting. And the lyrics... wow, interesting... Didn't understand them all, but of what I did... certainly interesting. I love how she holds the guitar, did she copy that from someone?

EDIT2:I watched her comments on youtube... she is weird as shit. I like her. That's another parallel between her and mika nakashima, at debut they were both weird as hell. I like weird girls, so its good for me, but I thought she would speak like a kakkoi rocker chick, like masculine but feminine... can't explain well, lol. But she is weIrD. But I really really like that though. I may be falling in love with this chick....

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?

Last edited by jigenbakuda : 2008.08.13 at 05:58 PM.
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.13, 07:03 PM   #12
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

chameleon is the movie's name which has "shoumei" as theme song..! she doesnt have moar pvs.. this is surely a nice debut

*reminds of hakoniwa and cries*

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.13, 07:41 PM   #13
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I don't particulary like the way she "projects her voice" ^^;
you mean her screaming? I felt like it really added to the atmosphere of the song. the b-side to the single is a really laid back mellow track that proves she can sing without shouting. I know some people have talked about how her crazy looks and her image looks like she is trying a bit too hard. I guess it is a little similar to Ringo ala Gibbs PV. I have followed Shigi's interviews and watched the interviews with her that are up online and she seems quite ecclectic, talking about how her music has always been considered "dark" but she just writes about the experiences in her life. I guess you either dig it or you don't, but I really do. What with Ringo clearly *not* trying too hard these days, it is good to someone in the debut so happy to be getting their music out there and really working to sell it. It is like Project Runway, doesn't matter if it is shit, just make it work sell it.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.18, 06:49 AM   #14
kuro_neko

if anyone is following Shigi still she has announced a 11/12 release date for her first mini-album, entitled Kyomei (resonance), which will include 6 tracks total. She will include the single version of Shoumei as well as a live guitar version of the same track as well (more like the live performance that is going around on youtube, at the end it was just her and acoustic guitar, amazing)

I'm looking forward to this release!
Old 2008.09.19, 05:34 AM   #15
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. That's been a nice surprise. Love her singing, it's so passionate.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.20, 08:19 PM   #16
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

I'm still following her, thanks for the heads up... I'll be looking for it.

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.20, 09:11 PM   #17
kuro_neko

I'll probably buy it and post it here for people who are interested. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is following her on the boards, as a new artist she doesn't have enough support to warrant boards of her own. maybe one day....

one of the songs off her new album will be used as the ending theme for the anime Kurozuka, which will air starting in October. The song is called Hanare Banare (Separately). There should be a rip of it out on youtube as soon as the show airs October 7th.
Old 2008.09.20, 11:51 PM   #18
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Thanks for providing us with all this info! I just preordered her mini-album since I really liked her single.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.22, 07:28 AM   #19
kuro_neko

so I went to go see Shigi play as part of Girls Entertainment, a small festival much like Society of the Citizens, where they asked powerful strong female musicians to come and play (sadly, Shigi was the only one worth the entrance fee, the other 3 acts were a mix of idol, anime, and parapara, kind of creepy considering the audience was mostly middle aged men).

anyways, so Shigi played about 6 songs, one of which was Shoumei, the rest were new. She came out and played her acoustic guitar and started wailing away on a really nice song, although I'm not sure if that will actually be on the mini album. The band then came out and she talked a bit about how this was the first show her and her new band were playing together (they assembled a band for her recently to record the album and then start touring, etc, up until now she had always just done it by herself). Anyways she played, as far as I can remember, all the songs on the new mini album plus one or two extra. ALL OF THEM sound like a-side material. I wasn't a huge fan of her b-side to Shoumei, and there aren't any tracks like that on it. They all aren't Shoume clones either, which is really nice.

but if people have criticized her singing style this release isn't going to win them over. If you like the powerful scream/sing lyrics and chorus on Shoumei, you'll love the songs that are going to be on this album. There was one, I think its Shiroi Yami, that was like a ridiculous jam fest, killer piano.

Shoumei live was the shizzat. As I pretty much figured, the end of that song was written for the band to drop out and her to play solo on her guitar just like on the MS live (I think for the single perhaps the label pushed to have it edited the way it is, the connecting part that takes the spoken/screamed bridge into the chorus doesn't really sound natural to me).

anyways heres the tracklist

Kyomei

1. Shoumei
2. Omoi no ma ma
3. Shiroi Yami
4. Hanare Banare
5. Boku no Taiyou
6. Shoumei (guitar version)

she was pretty funny to listen to, everyone was laughing at her little spoken parts during the songs, pretty ecclectic and laid back girl, seems like a blast to hang out with. She was walking around during the show and after a bit, I was going to ask her to sign my single but I missed my opportunity while in the venue. On the way out she was walking right in front of me back towards Shibuya station but I didn't want to seem like a crazy stalker haha, and she was with her family/bf I think, so I just walked by and let her go on her way. Great show, can't wait to see where she goes.
Old 2008.11.02, 12:01 PM   #20
kuro_neko

for anyone still following Shigi,

the PV for her new single, Hanarebanare, which is off of her new mini album (no single this time, the single is for the album), has been put up on nico video!

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5071599

edit:

since I'm the only one who keeps on posting I'll just throw this in as an edit instead of another post.

I found out today that Shigi's birthday is April 21, 1987, meaning she is 21, and that she chooses her artist name from the bird, a sandpiper, which is said to bring happiness. She is also from Saitama and has blood type O if that means anything to anyone, haha.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2008.11.05 at 08:42 AM.