Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.07.07, 09:37 AM   #201
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I don't think Adult was a fresh start, and I don't think Dai-Hakken is one either.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.07, 09:53 AM   #202
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

Seems a lot like Sports II to me. I really wish Ringo would get back in the driver's seat. Give Uki/Izawa/Kameda 1 song per CD, max.

Sports & Dai-hakken sound too muddy. I prefer the sonic universe of Variety to these last two.

There may be a good album among the last 3, but I'm not motivated to pick and choose. I'm beginning to think I don't really like this band very much.
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.07, 10:24 AM   #203
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

where does adult even fit into this turtlefu?

it's pretty simple. Adult, Variety, and Sports, all three had themes which dictated their respective era's music and live shows. The theme was a very large part of the work and whether or not the actual music was tied organically into the theme or was produced to fit in line with the work (Himitsu?), it is hard to say.

Kyouiku was given a theme that had very little to do with the album artwork and the subsequent music. There is a meaning behind it, but you can't listen to that album and say gee, they really went for Educational style music, durrrrr. Variety SOUNDS like a variety show. Adult SOUNDS like a smoky jazz club.

Kyouiku was their debut, so obviously a fresh start of a new bushy tailed band.

Discovery has a theme that has, IMO, very little to do with the music. Other than the cover, the artwork inside the book actually looks much closer to Adult's artwork than any other album. The music itself falls over the place, from rnb that could be featured on adult, screechy vocals that belong on variety, and some upbeat and electronic production worthy of Sports. On a whole the album doesn't carve out it's own niche amongst their catalogue, much the same way Kyouiku never did (because it created the whole theme sequence).

that is why I think its a fresh start for them. NOT BECAUSE IT SOUNDS NEW, but precisely because it sounds old. It sounds cumulative, a mix of all the sounds thus far in their career, bound together under the guise of a loose theme, much like Kyouiku.

I am more interested in seeing what their next effort holds. Will they shackle themselves with a new theme and strive for a sonic representation of that? Or will they continue in this style and use the theme less strategically?

I personally hope they ditch the theme. I'd rather have them work on cohesive albums without the gimmick.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.07, 10:45 AM   #204
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by ecogazoo View Post
Seems a lot like Sports II to me. I really wish Ringo would get back in the driver's seat. Give Uki/Izawa/Kameda 1 song per CD, max.

Sports & Dai-hakken sound too muddy. I prefer the sonic universe of Variety to these last two.

There may be a good album among the last 3, but I'm not motivated to pick and choose. I'm beginning to think I don't really like this band very much.
Boohoohoo.

That would defeat the entire purpose of a band.
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.07, 11:14 AM   #205
TurtleFu

I don't think giving them one each, but definitely have Shiina write the MAJORITY of the songs on the album. But Dai-Hakken is the most Ringo-heavy album since Adult.
Old 2011.07.07, 05:35 PM   #206
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by SoulExperience View Post
Boohoohoo.

That would defeat the entire purpose of a band.
I'd reckon to say that the vast majority of bands ever have that set up though, the one uniquely talented person writing almost all of the songs and the other band mates chipping in 1-3 max. This doesn't defeat the purpose since usually the idea is to put out the highest quality work and sell the most.

I think Izawa's songs were good on Dai Hakken, but I'd like to believe that if Shiina had taken some time away from writing and starring in commercials to write songs Dai Hakken would be an infinitely better album.

There's a very specific reason the band can't even seem to get close to Kyouiku/Adult quality songs.

EDIT:pssstt... what I'm saying is, I dont think Shiina (or Shiina/Kameda) are completely interested in putting out the highest quality product.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2011.07.07 at 05:43 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.07, 07:31 PM   #207
TurtleFu

I think the songs that Shiina has written on Sports and Dai-Hakken were definitely Kyouiku/Adult quality. It's the songs that she DOESN'T write, or the songs that she co-writes that aren't usually that great.

I'm trying to think of a band that gets large contributions from most of the members, and the only one I can think of is The Beatles. Radiohead, Oasis, Weaver, they all might as well be solo acts. [[I may be wrong on this, I'm not as well versed on many rock bands]]
Old 2011.07.07, 08:20 PM   #208
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The Beatles don't really count against what I'm saying. You have Lennon/McCartney doing the brunt of the work, with George Harrison getting 2-3 cuts an album (and the odd Ringo song on rare occasion.) Lennon/McCartney was the two headed beast that drove The Beatles.

No one fucking compare Izawa/Ukigumo to Lennon/McCartney or I swear...

(and yes, what I'm getting at is that to get to Kyouiku, Adult quality, Shiina needs to write all but 2-3 songs an album.)
Old 2011.07.07, 08:36 PM   #209
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The Beatles don't really count against what I'm saying. You have Lennon/McCartney doing the brunt of the work, with George Harrison getting 2-3 cuts an album (and the odd Ringo song on rare occasion.) Lennon/McCartney was the two headed beast that drove The Beatles.

No one fucking compare Izawa/Ukigumo to Lennon/McCartney or I swear...

(and yes, what I'm getting at is that to get to Kyouiku, Adult quality, Shiina needs to write all but 2-3 songs an album.)
Or solo it next. Or get susumu hirasawa
Old 2011.07.07, 09:16 PM   #210
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Or do it with A BARREL ROLL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIkJvY96i8w
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote