Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: The Latter Three
Kyouiku 8 38.10%
Adult 8 38.10%
Sanmon Gossip 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.11.05, 03:48 PM   #61
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Never thought of Shiina Ringo as a gateway drug until now.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 05:54 PM   #62
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
RE: Experimental. Is it though? The elements of it (electric sitar, staccato filtered vocals, layered beats, rap ending) don't seem that "experimental" to me. I'm not sure if I can explain it well, but although I love her collab's with Nakayama, I've never though of him as an "experimental" producer unless you consider that all electronic music "experimental".
You take things too literally, nitpicking on words. The techno pop of Togatta Teguchi is unique among numerous Ringo songs. It is essentially Ringo's experiment with electronic music. I don't see anything wrong with calling it one of her most experimental (or adventurous) songs.

Also, the way you dissect the song (the bolded part) lacks insight. You can describe any experimental group this way:

-The Residents are just acoustic piano combined with weird chanting. Sounds nothing experimental to me.

-Naked City are just guys playing fast music, jump from one genre to another every 5 seconds. Sounds nothing experimental to me.

For Ringo, a musician working in the confines of artsy pop/rock, I have no idea what kind of experimentation you expect. Maybe one day when she makes something pretentious, grating, and overlong, people will finally be pleased and call her avant-garde?

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.11.05 at 05:58 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 06:31 PM   #63
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Part of the reason I don't find it experimental within the context of a pop/rock musician is because I don't find Ringo to be a pop/rock musician. She's done other electronic songs before. Yokushitsu and Tsumiki Asobi are both more experimental than Togatta Teguchi, because Togatta Teguchi's brand of electro-rock has been beaten to death by the likes of Muse. (When you really get down to it, Togatta Teguchi is a Kyouiku-esque rock song with electronic beats layered over it).

To me, it's odd to proclaim Togatta Teguchi as being "experimental" just because it is electronic. Is Heisei Fuuzoku experimental because it's Ringo doing Jazz? Kurumaya-san experimental because it's Ringo doing Enka? Ringo is a multi-genre artist. I don't think a song should be praised just because it's Ringo trying a new genre.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 06:47 PM   #64
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Will you stop comparing lame crap like Muse to "Togatta Teguchi"? Their new albums are especially crap.

In defense of Ringo's cover of "Kurumaya-san", the song is experimental enka, with its inventive use of melodica. Moreover, the usual enka song is blues and melancholic, whereas "Kurumaya-san" has the rock sensibility.

I didn't praise the song just because it's Ringo trying a new genre. She not only tried it, but also MASTERED it.

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.11.05 at 06:55 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 07:02 PM   #65
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Kurumaya-san is a cover right?
Old 2012.11.05, 07:35 PM   #66
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

All of this talk about Togatta Teguchi when SG~Superficial Gossip~ is clearly the superior song. :P
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 07:37 PM   #67
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
All of this talk about Togatta Teguchi when SG~Superficial Gossip~ is clearly the superior song.
I agree, but I don't think it would have fit as well a Togatta Teguchi on the album tbh.
Old 2012.11.06, 07:10 AM   #68
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

re: experimental, Shiina did plenty of experimental songs in her day. Let's just ignore KZK for the moment (since obvious), the SS era is rife with experimentation. Yami ni furu Ame, Honnou, even Kyogensho all drip with blending other song forms in the rock-pop mold. Stoicism is a pop song. it also is composed of tiny sequenced loops. ZCS is experimental at least in long form.

Togatta Teguchi I don't find very experimental in any real vain. It is a straight up jpop song. You put more hum drum instruments and production on it, and it would fit easily in Sports or Dai-hakken. The production is nice, but there are plenty of pop songs that dress up in heavy, industrial sounding cloaks to make people think they are more than they are. Its so slick and shiny it might as well be any J-Idol. If you are gong to go in, go all in. Make the song dark and heavy and distorted and nasty. Don't think about how "not everybody might not like it if it's too unapproachable." Go all in or just leave it as the slick jpop it already was. Maybe it would have been better to be more honest.
Old 2012.11.06, 07:15 AM   #69
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I don't necessarily have to use Muse. I could also use Shaair & Func, or Hadouken!, etc. Electro-rock is a thing, you know. In particular, Shaair & Func have been doing Indian instrumentation + Staccato vocals + Layered Beats for years.

"inventive use of melodica"
She put in a melodica in an Enka song. OMG SO EXPERIMENTAL.

"original enka is blues and melancholic"
Uh, have you ever even heard the Hibari Misora original?

I'm not saying Togatta Teguchi is a bad song, I'm just saying that's it is not particularly experimental. Superficial Gossip is a much more experimental electronic song than Togatta Teguchi.

Now, if you are going to say something, back it up with evidence instead of just saying "Togatta Teguchi is experimental because I say so".
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.06, 08:01 AM   #70
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Lol about Togatta Teguchi being a party anthem. I’d been visiting my mum when SG came out, and when she heard Togatta Teguchi she said ’I bet that would be popular over here’, in I think a backhanded way.

And yeah, I’ll admit, I easily fall for poppy music with industrial wrapping paper. Togatta Teguchi didn’t really hold up on the end.

Just as an aside (this is only very loosely tied to SR’s music being experimental) Ringo still seems a bit quirky. I can’t get her recent appearance on some tv show out of my head. The one where she performed Onna...dare demo and then played acoustic Carnation in a frilly pink thing. It didn’t come across as her trying to be quirky -- it just highlighted the strange dichotomy between her showtune tendencies and her classic image.

Isn’t Inoue Uni more ’experimental’ than Nakayama?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote