Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.07.19, 08:32 PM   #101
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
um, no

and with Adult they did the same thing, it says "adaruto" right next to the kanji on the work and on the websites, check tower if you want to see.

It is the kanji for 大人 but it gets read as Adult, this has already been discussed.

and in terms of reading these we are just following the artist and what they go by. Calling it Adult is an artistic thing that the band did, which is why we don't call Kyouiku Education etc.

check out kronekodow instead. No "adoruto" anywhere. Its Otona in kanji and it comes out as otona from a Japanese person's mouth when they read it. If it wasn't meant to be called Otona, the kanji shouldn't even be there in the first place.

Grammatically speaking, the title of the album is otona by Tokyo Jihen. The concept art gives the english equivalent Adult by Tokyo Incidents. These are and should be totally acceptable, at least out in the real world.

And Kyoiku can also be called Education.

http://www.rittor-music.co.jp/hp/sco...a/04417115.htm

there it is. plain as vanilla on the official scorebook. "education." and it has to be all lowercase or else its "wrong."

this "rule" about pronunciation is unnecessarily anal and built on a shaky foundation. Why should anyone give a ratsnest's ass about something so trivial? It shouldn't even be an issue worth mentioning. Thats what really bugs me. Sorry if I'm not cool enough to use romaji or somebody thinks me using japanese words makes me some pretentious prick japanophile. Its not really my problem.

can't we go back to the irreverent funny comments that is the lifeblood of this place?

or did I just bannedzorz myself?

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.07.19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 2007.07.19, 08:42 PM   #102
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

If the big "ADULT" lettering on the jacket and the press releases aren't enough for you Shady... Kuro's KZK point is fairly rock solid and waterproof.

Originally Posted by ShadyNook
Sorry if I'm not cool enough to use romaji or somebody thinks me using japanese words ...
you do realize you using "nihongo" is romanji, right?

And in all fairness, you did bring "Otona/Goraku" back up.

Don't worry, you're not banned. As has been seen here before, you can repeatedly harass an individual about some personifying trait in an offensive manner till they've had enough and still not get banned , so youre certainly more than safe

EDIT: and you didnt even do "anything" but disagree, which is what happens every other post anyway, so far from anything.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.07.19 at 08:47 PM.
Old 2007.07.19, 08:54 PM   #103
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Whatever.
Red album, perfume album and (possibly) TV remote album.
yea maybe just read the kanji title in chinese.
Old 2007.07.19, 09:16 PM   #104
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Thanks for being so nice even if I'm being irritating.

but with good reason!

but thanks.
Old 2007.07.19, 09:37 PM   #105
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

um, this isn't even worth arguing about anywhere. Frecklegirl, where are youuuuuuuu

Any interview Ringo did from that album period she PLAINLY calls it "adaruto." youtube it. seriously, case closed.
Old 2007.07.19, 10:16 PM   #106
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by ChickShhh View Post
yea maybe just read the kanji title in chinese.
Then I would have to call SR "zhui ming lin qin".
Old 2007.07.21, 05:17 AM   #107
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^ SOOOO thats how you pronounce it in chinese...

And on the album title issue, I'm assuming if two people are conversing in japanese about the album, they may call it Otona if it have more meaning than "Aduruto", which is really an arbitary set of noise with out much meaning to some one who don't understand its english equal. It's like us non-japanese fans discussing the relevance of why TJ calling an album "kyoiku" without understanding what the word means. And since most of us in EM know Adult = Otona, do we really have to call it Adult ALL the time?
* runs away
Old 2007.07.21, 05:48 AM   #108
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yes except that every single person in Japan knows the word "adult"

America is really the only country on earth anymore where people are actually monolingual. Especially in Japan, people really enjoy studying other languages and are *required* to study English in junior high school.

As a result, pretty much most places you go, even if you have decent Japanese, you will find lots of service workers testing out their English on you, stretching those legs.

Not to mention you go and look at most restaurants and what do you see? Entire menus in English. Or go to cd stores and you see entire listings in English.

Now tell me, if 99% of the Japanese populace know Egg McMuffin, Crispy Creme, and regularly employ phrases like "print club" (purikura) and "new single" (instead of the Japanese equivalent), I would say you would be pretty hard pressed to find ANYONE who doesn't know what Adult or even Variety means.

This argument has been an open and shut case for weeks now.
Old 2007.07.21, 06:18 AM   #109
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^ Oh don't mind me, I just enjoy being prove wrong on an hourly bases , except the part about service workers testing their english on you; last time I was in tokyo every store I go to people spoke Japanese to me, and when they realise I only speak english, they more or less smile, nods and walk away O;O... I suppose they thought I'm a local, and felt a little awkward when they just spoke to some one who have no idea what they are talking about >.<
Old 2007.07.21, 06:40 AM   #110
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I guess they just assumed that all Asians are Japanese or something? Same thing happened to me when I was in Tokyo. They just recite long strings of Japanese at me while I look at them innocently, wait till they finish and say "I'm so sorry I don't understand." After which they kinda smile, look embarassed and keep quiet. When I eventually buy something they'll just recite their standard protocol "The total cost is xxxxyen and here is your change xxxxyen arigato gozaimashita blah blah blah" even though they already know that I don't understand most of it. Cute.

Same for Koreans too.

(lalala off-topic.)