Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.12.24, 10:50 AM   #41
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
If it wasn't for the time and money, I would watch Avatar every evening, lol.
I hope I can convince my best friend to go on wednesday again. Or my parents, or maybe another friend of mine. I'm still more fascinated by it than I have been with a single movie in a VERY long time.
I just keep listening to the soundtrack and searching for videos of it on youtube.
hahaha. I've seen it 3 times and probably will end up another 1 or 2 times before its out of theatres (although probably not IMAX). its completely involving and entertaining time after time. its paced incredibly well, so even on repeat viewings its difficult to get bored. he jumps from comedy to action to wonder to romance to drama to a to z its insane, never lingering.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.24, 10:58 AM   #42
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

What I loved the most was the perfect scene constellation of
climbing up to the dragons (fascinating)
-> taming his one (suspense)
-> first flight (Excitement)
-> teasing Neytiri (romance)
-> Dr Grace tells him about the tree of sould (fascination)
-> they fly over it (fascination)
-> Toruk chase (suspense)
-> Toruk Makto story (calmness)
and then the perfect scene to close this segment: Jake getting out of the Avatar with that sad music, rolling down the hall, asking himself what's real and what's not.

SO perfectly executed.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.24, 01:43 PM   #43
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
What I loved the most was the perfect scene constellation of
climbing up to the dragons (fascinating)
-> taming his one (suspense)
-> first flight (Excitement)
-> teasing Neytiri (romance)
-> Dr Grace tells him about the tree of sould (fascination)
-> they fly over it (fascination)
-> Toruk chase (suspense)
-> Toruk Makto story (calmness)
and then the perfect scene to close this segment: Jake getting out of the Avatar with that sad music, rolling down the hall, asking himself what's real and what's not.

SO perfectly executed.
when he climbs out of the machine at that point it is absolutely heart breaking.

in rewatches what I liked/noticed:

grace flips out after jake smashes the cameras and askes quaritch "what, you going to shoot me?" and he is all "I could shoot you" and then he does, about twenty minutes later. Quaritch also foreshadows his own death early on in the Pandora briefing at the start where he explains that you got to avoid Na'vi arrows as they are dipped in neurotoxin that will stop your heart in 1 minute (how he dies). Trudy also laughs about how she hoped to avoid martydom (which happens again). There are a lot of small lines early on in the film which reference later events and its kind of amusing as you go through picking up on them. Also, when Neytiri and Jake climb into the pods in Hometree the first night he spends there, you can see in the background a large group of Na'vi sleeping in a big pile, which looks like a man and a couple women or a general orgy. I thought that was kind of funny for some reason. They don't address is the Na'vi men are monogamous, you kind of just assume they are, but based on what Neytiri says its up to the male to pick the female, but in jake's case they picked each other.

kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.24, 05:14 PM   #44
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

My friend is trying so hard to convince me to see Avatar, but it doesn't look like something I'd like.

I finally saw There Will Be Blood. The only problem is that I got sucked in halfway through, so I watched the second half first, then the first half about a week later. I'm super picky when it comes to movies, so I was surprised that I liked this one so much. Paul Dano's acting was insane after only seeing him in Little Miss Sunshine and Fast Food Nation.

Also saw Where The Wild Things Are recently, but don't really know how I feel about it. It looked great, the soundtrack was perfect, but something was missing. It was such an up and down movie that I left the theater a little discombobulated. The beginning and ending made enough sense, it's just all that stuff in the middle I couldn't wrap my brain around. Still, that scene with the owls alone was worth the three dollars.

EDIT: This should have gone under the "Currently Watching" thread. I figured this would be a better place to post specifically about movies, until I looked through the fives pages and realized it's pretty much the Avatar thread.

Last edited by BanFan : 2009.12.24 at 05:26 PM.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.24, 05:45 PM   #45
golem09

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
My friend is trying so hard to convince me to see Avatar, but it doesn't look like something I'd like.
If you hate Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and never watched The Lord of the Rings, then yes, you can skip Avatar.
Otherwise you have no choice but to go see it.

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.12.24, 05:51 PM   #46
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Would I be allowed to settle with a cheap, non-3D or IMAX version in two months?
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.24, 06:24 PM   #47
golem09

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
Would I be allowed to settle with a cheap, non-3D or IMAX version in two months?
non 3D? No
non IMAX? yes
In two months? yes

Just make sure you get to see it in a RealD cinema.

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.12.24, 06:39 PM   #48
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Is it imperative to see Avatar in 3D? Whenever I see something in 3D I get a headache and end up going to sleep.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.24, 06:45 PM   #49
golem09

I would say yes, but I don't know your problem with 3D. What DID you watch in 3D?

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.12.24, 07:03 PM   #50
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Can I talk about movies that aren't Avatar in this thread?