Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.04.25, 03:13 PM   #31
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Age is obviously catching up with Namie Amuro. She sweats a gallon and her gestures look exhausted, from moving a fraction as much as her backup dancers. Give her enough time on stage and she'll start to look her age.
That's irrelevant as her performance requires a lot of dancing. Morning Musume sweat a gallon after 90 minutes and they're teenage girls.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.25, 03:21 PM   #32
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I'm not saying that sweat on its own is any sign of aging, but when put into context, you would not expect to see much sweat from so little movement unless Namie truly were in her 30s. If Morning Musume moved like that, they wouldn't sweat much at all. Plus as I said, you can see the exhaustion in her gestures, while her backup dancers are all vibrant and doing more-pronounced versions of the same moves.

To segue closer toward the main topic, I'm glad Shiina Ringo doesn't try to make dancing a centerpoint of her career. Sure, she's got a couple of songs with their own signature moves, but nothing that would exhaust a 40-year old. If she wants to just play it cool throughout her 30s, I don't blame her. At least she hasn't set a precedent of the kind of dancing only a teenager could do, as the standard by which the rest of her career would be judged.
Old 2014.04.25, 04:17 PM   #33
anonlurker

Criticism based on nothing more than an artist failing to defy the passage of time is pretty disgusting.

Are we looking at them or listening to them? If it's solely the latter then you have options elsewhere in young idol acts.
Old 2014.04.25, 04:30 PM   #34
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The whole argument seems weird to me.

I've only seen Inseu and Brazilian members of last.fm complain about new picture. Why Brazilians? Who knows, they're just the ones who seem to bitch about the shallow stuff there. (No, I'm not trying to start Brazilian hate speech, it's just the phenomena that happens on last.fm)
Old 2014.04.25, 04:45 PM   #35
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Namie Amuro's dancing has very little to do with her age. She's always been a pretty terrible dancer.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.25, 05:12 PM   #36
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by anonlurker View Post
Criticism based on nothing more than an artist failing to defy the passage of time is pretty disgusting.

Are we looking at them or listening to them? If it's solely the latter then you have options elsewhere in young idol acts.
It's not criticism but acknowledging fact. Nobody look at a current photo of Paul McCartney and say he's young man in his 20's. Compare my avatar to that photo instantly shows the difference.

Of course I'm solely looking at her. It's a photo, if you like hexagon face with obnoxious Japanese flag on it, squinting eyes, no smile, atom bomb wig, photoshoped legs, then you might like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goro-kofXIII.jpg (49.8 KB, 113 views)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.25, 05:26 PM   #37
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Obnoxious Japanese flag?

I think in this case its 100% justified... for OBVIOUS reasons. Shouldn't even need to point them out to you.

No smile? ITS SHIINA FUCKING RINGO. FFS. 90% of the ICONIC images that I conjure up of her do not have smiles.

TBH, I think she looks terrible in your ava, actually, most of them photos from that particular shoot are pretty blegh. This new one brings back the FIRE.

(I better get reps for this. I put a lot of effort into this post :-p) (JK)

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.04.25 at 05:38 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.25, 05:31 PM   #38
anonlurker

Inseu, you try way too hard.

Carry on.
Old 2014.04.26, 06:09 PM   #39
hedgehog

hedgehog has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm super stoked for this. I bet it's gonna be soooo poppy.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.27, 09:13 PM   #40
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by anonlurker View Post

This. Also, I prefer my Ringo singing but we don't need to knock dancing. There is fine, intellectualized dance just as there is fine, intellectualized singing. However, both singing and dancing are physical expressions with no inherent meaning... I think SR is on a much higher level conceptually than 99% percent of pop acts, but it's mostly due to her songwriting. I believe the performance aspect of art is mostly visceral (and I am not, by any means, saying it is inferior because of that).