Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.12.12, 09:24 PM   #41
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Maybe. I like a bit of danger too - but what I'm really looking for is a tightrope walk, not an armed robbery. A test of physical, rather than mental, limits.
Old 2015.12.12, 09:54 PM   #42
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, anyway, I can see where you are both coming from. But I'm seriously just not in the same area of what I believe constitutes great vocals I guess. Being memorable and exciting comes far higher than being controlled and comfortable for me.

However, I can't see how anyone could find the Coke song particularly pleasant, even on the pop scale of things. But oh well. Let's not start that up.

This reminds me of another debate I read, some kids whinging over people recommending BiS fans Seiko Oomori... while I'd never instantly put those 2 together in a train of thought- I don't see what the big deal was. Sennou is a pretty damn good example of idol style music done really well (without the trappings of relying on someone else writing the songs)- and there isn't a dud track on it. Why not recommend it to idol fans? If I had heard a similar album by an idol group when I was searching through the mounds of shit I woulda really have appreciated it. (I'm still looking for something as good as it by a 'legit' idol group- starting to think this may never happen because where idol groups are mainly made by an outsider to sound like idol and sell the girls, Oomori is making music from the love of idol and it's all her. God, surely there's some idol group that writes their own stuff out there? Someone rec me if so) I don't get it... BiS fans are insane though, from first hand experience. Perhaps even more insane than Oomori fans... maybe.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.12 at 10:01 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.13, 01:26 AM   #43
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I have to agree that Seiko's uncontrolled wailing is what I enjoy most about her (I this say while my favorite song is and probably forever will be Midnight Seijun Isei Kouyuu). It's not something you can expect everyone to like, though, especially if you go in to listen after hearing her come up as a recommendation somehow for those who like an artist like Ringo.

They both have their fascinations with different facets pop music and how to express that in their own way, but even their musical backgrounds and influences seem so different. I honestly feel like the association is entirely based on that Shouso Strip homage/parody cover she had...

One thing about Seiko for me though is that a lot of artists who can't necessarily sing tend to fall into the same vocal style? Like, I listen to hirone-chan sometimes, and she does a similar wavering-wailing/fast talking thing while standing with her instrument. It kinda reminds me of when Ke$ha broke and I couldn't tell which songs on the radio were her and which were similar-sounding one-off artists

Also, kinda unrelated, but I don't get why everyone says Zombie Chang is so cool. Like, she seems chill and cool and her music is nice, but it just kinda reminds me of college kids...? I guess that's cool tho. Ppl in college are chill and cool, and she seems like she's enjoying herself even though her name gets pronounced wrong. If there is something definitively cool that she has done, please do let me know though

Also, BiS fans are definitely wilder than Oomori fans last I checked. It was like being stuck in a raging whirlwind for like 2 hours. I've never walked out of a show covered in so much sweat that wasn't my own, and I'd lost my voice even though I don't remember screaming

Also, I don't see the problem with idols having a lot of their music (though not always lyrics?) written by others. If you have songwriting talent but not the voice to bring your work to completion, then why not?

...But man, I really miss BiS...
Old 2015.12.13, 01:32 AM   #44
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yeah, BiSH is really no substitute.
Old 2015.12.13, 01:53 AM   #45
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Speaking of!

New BiSH album dropping 1/20!

Here's the new track on soundcloud. I really like it, and I admittedly like them better musically, but I feel like I have to see them from the frontlines before I can decide definitively how I feel overall. Like a lot of idols, BiS stood out not just musically and for what there fans and events were like, but also because of the strong individuality each member gave off.

It's probably best to view them separately from BiS, though, as I don't see the folks in charge trying to recreate the same...whatever led us to the BiS we all knew. I don't even see a member page on the website? But they seem less on the metal/hardcore/??? side, and more on the raw, kinda uncomfortable, things-you-aren't-supposed-to-see-from-idols side of things...

They're still very young too, so if they stick around for a while longer even just in name, I'm sure they'll make some legends of their own.
Old 2015.12.13, 06:28 AM   #46
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

dunno if this is really the thread for it but Tricot are coming to Europe next year.

http://skream.jp/news/2015/12/tricot...e-tour2016.php
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.13, 07:18 AM   #47
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Sennou is a pretty damn good example of idol style music done really well (without the trappings of relying on someone else writing the songs)- and there isn't a dud track on it. Why not recommend it to idol fans? If I had heard a similar album by an idol group when I was searching through the mounds of shit I woulda really have appreciated it. (I'm still looking for something as good as it by a 'legit' idol group- starting to think this may never happen because where idol groups are mainly made by an outsider to sound like idol and sell the girls, Oomori is making music from the love of idol and it's all her.
I really enjoyed a lot of Sennou, for what it's worth, mostly because the production takes away from what I dislike about her voice, or at least complements her style of singing.

I think Otsuka Ai is pretty similar to Seiko's pop moments, for what it's worth, especially her first 3 albums. And a lot of Morning Musume's earlier stuff is also very good, if you're looking at idol stuff. They had a flawless string of singles in the early 2000s. Granted they don't write their own material (Ai does but MM doesn't), but I'm not overly concerned about who does the writing as long as the song is good, so it's not really a 'trapping' for me.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.15, 02:58 PM   #48
deadgrandma

Not only a live show together, Boris and Goth Trad are also bringing out a song together. Unfortunately, could not find any details on release date but I assume it will be either a freebie at the show
Old 2015.12.16, 06:39 AM   #49
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Have no idea who Goth Trad is, so I don't really know what to expect. New Boris is always good, though.

Discussion over Oomori's vocals? I've said a long time ago I thought her vocals were weak. She has her style and she does it well, but she's not exactly a properly trained singer. I was never a fan of the vocal freak outs. They always felt disingenuous and sort of "look at how weird I am!", but they're infrequent enough that I can ignore it. She would do well to learn more about proper singing, IMO.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.16, 04:18 PM   #50
deadgrandma

Default =

Goth Trad

Goth trad sounds like this