Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.04.29, 08:00 PM   #21
Canto

Canto has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm back eventually!! >_<
MISS YOU ALL...
The Great Firewall of China finally failed to break our friendship >.<

A huge thanks to Glath and justriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingo (i think i made you the coolest name )

....back to topic

Don't you find out that the stroke on "é" stands for the apple leaf and the dots on "ö" are the apple seeds?
Much like the SR icon.
Canto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.30, 03:19 AM   #22
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Siina or Sîna

for Kunrei shiki (ISO 3602), standardized romanization by the Japanese Government and ISO

Welcome back, Canto.
I think you made good point.
It explains reason of meaningless accentuated characters.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.30, 05:30 AM   #23
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
Siina or Sîna

for Kunrei shiki (ISO 3602), standardized romanization by the Japanese Government and ISO
Yeah, Siina's actually the most accurate romanization by Japanese rules, but Americans would never understand that "si" is actually pronounced "shi" unless they had some experience with Japanese already.
Old 2007.04.30, 07:33 AM   #24
freshevryday

freshevryday pleased at least somebody

Shiina for sure, but i don't really care, as long as Ringo goes with it i know who it is. If your not satisfied with that then just use her Japanese name.
freshevryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.30, 09:45 AM   #25
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Canto View Post
MISS YOU ALL...

A huge thanks to Glath and justriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingo (i think i made you the coolest name )

....back to topic

Don't you find out that the stroke on "é" stands for the apple leaf and the dots on "ö" are the apple seeds?
Much like the SR icon.
Welcome back, Canto!!!! Heheheh, I'm glad you got over the great firewall.

But OMG, that's soo cool!! @_@ That makes me want to copy and paste Shéna Ringö everytime I type her name. @_@
Old 2007.04.30, 03:04 PM   #26
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
Yeah, Siina's actually the most accurate romanization by Japanese rules, but Americans would never understand that "si" is actually pronounced "shi" unless they had some experience with Japanese already.
Whatever, that's the worst romanization system ever, it looks ugly, and textbooks that use it suck (Japanese the Spoken Language [JSL], I'm looking at you). When you extend it out, you get shit like zya instead of ja and it's just awful. No one knows how to pronounce it because no one ever "remembers" to pronounce it NOT as it's written. It's just people trying to apply logic to the Japanese language... PLEASE! Logic has no place in Japanese. XD

And I'm going to go ahead and doubt how "official Japanese" it is when all the romanized train station names are doing it the Shi/Ja way. Who cares what the government "says," I'm going with what's good enough for JR!!

Also, on KSK she has it "Sheena Rinngo." She is in no way consistent about it, so I feel free to say that all are acceptable but I'm sticking with Shiina Ringo the majority of the time. I also agree that any Shena/Sheena spelling encourages thought of that as her first name, which it is not. (This came as a huge revelation to me only a couple years ago. Shiina is her last name! ahhh)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.30, 05:02 PM   #27
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Whatever, that's the worst romanization system ever, it looks ugly, and textbooks that use it suck (Japanese the Spoken Language [JSL], I'm looking at you). When you extend it out, you get shit like zya instead of ja and it's just awful. No one knows how to pronounce it because no one ever "remembers" to pronounce it NOT as it's written. It's just people trying to apply logic to the Japanese language... PLEASE! Logic has no place in Japanese. XD

And I'm going to go ahead and doubt how "official Japanese" it is when all the romanized train station names are doing it the Shi/Ja way. Who cares what the government "says," I'm going with what's good enough for JR!!
ACK...gomen nasai! Like I've said before, I'm only just beginning my Japanese language studies. I agree entirely that that's a shitty system for romanization, and I meant that, if going by the Hiragana groupings (a i u e o, ka ki ku ke ko), "si" follows the consistency better than "shi" does, as does "tu" compared to "tsu". My OCD mind just assumed that the 'standard' Japanese romanization would be the one that better follows the organization of their Hiragana alphabet, as opposed to the spelling of the English pronunciation. I guess that's what I get for assuming.
Old 2007.05.01, 02:47 AM   #28
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Canto View Post
MISS YOU ALL...
You went to the Great Wall?

I like your idea with the apple connection, but I doubt that's what she thought of in the first place.
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 03:10 AM   #29
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
ACK...gomen nasai! Like I've said before, I'm only just beginning my Japanese language studies.
LOL, don't apologize, my anger is directed at the romanization system itself (and also a few certain people I've run across who were irritating in their love for it, but no one here), not at the people who brought it up in this thread XD
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.02, 01:36 PM   #30
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

Kunrei shiki ?! Nihon Shiki ?!
Maybe Siina will go to Mt. Huzi one day.

But I prefer Hepburn, with Shiina hanging out at Mt. Fuji.

And I use "u" to specify long vowels because I use an American keyboard and it takes too long to write the accents. Except for "Tokyo" which I could never get used to as "Toukyou".

What I really hate is passport romaji, with "oh" for long vowels. I saw one actress whose name was romanized as "Itoh" and that just bugs me.

But Shiina can spell her name however she likes because she's interested in linguistics and we love her for it.

EDIT:
Now tell me if you're supposed to write it as "Shiina Ringo" or "Ringo Shiina" ?!

Do you reverse it for people who aren't in the know, or do you assume people have a clue? Because I see it both ways from Japanese and English speakers without any consistency.

Last edited by newyorkjihen : 2007.05.02 at 01:40 PM.
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote