Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.26, 03:23 AM   #231
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Osiris
It seems like Phase 2 is capable of producing some great songs but they just don't have the ability to produce great albums. Frustrating to say the least. I think by now I'd be lying to myself if I said that the band isn't holding Ringo back.
My thoughts exactly. The fact that there was no quality control with several songs on this album, combined with the fact that Ringo wants everyone to compose means that TJ will never create a track-for-track masterpiece like Shouso Strip.

Although I don't WANT to be critical (There's a SR fanboy in me waiting to burst out), it's still really hard to listen this and not think about what we were getting before and what we could be getting now(Would we have a SR enka EP by now? Tamatebako album?)

Ringo's not gonna do anything, unless she hits a revelation during the tour. And yeah, she's probably very close to the guys now and that, at this point, probably overrides everything else.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 05:07 AM   #232
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by AmeGamble View Post
Also you have to understand that the Tokyo Jihen albums have themes that follow the line of T.V programming genres: Education, Adult, Variety, and Sports. So the title, content, and overall feel of the songs have some sort of relation to its respective album title. And just like T.V, some people are Sports fans, some people prefer Variety programming, and others can watch it all. If you don't like it, change the channel. But to say that it lacks growth and "it doesn't have the intensity or complexity of ... 30 yr old emotions" just because she's not screaming away in angst on song with titles that sound taboo is trite.
First...

A warm welcome to you. This forum gets intense but hopefully that doesn't scare u away.

Second, how is this album sporty? Was Variety a fun album? Perhaps adult captures some of that grown-up feel, and one can argue if Kyouiku actually made people more educated about music.
Third, what's with the "screaming/angsty" caricature of old Shiina? She had that fire in her for sure but her music was always very refined. Do I expect 30 yr old SR to scream into microphones? Well, only if she wants to. Do I expect 30 yr old SR to write songs better than she used to, and deliver vocals better than she used to? Yes.

That's all I want, for her to keep raising the bar.
Old 2010.02.26, 07:37 AM   #233
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

How does Sports now differ from the first impression based on crap leak and a whole bunch of listens?

Ikiru - Background noise is more bearable. [8.5]
Denpa Tsuushin - Still sounds like a Sonic game BGM, but has potential live. [5]
Season Sayonara - Remains great. [8.5]
Kachi-ikusa - Grew on me a lot. [7]
FOUL - Yep. [4]
Utenkekku - What did this sound like again? [4]
Noudouteki Sanpunkan - Nothing's really changed since the single. [7.5]
Zettai Zetsumei - Now that I'm able to hear this more clearly, I can see (hear?) why many people like it. [8]
FAIR - Funky, but still a little lethargic. Could be cool live, though. [7]
Noriki - I can't be kind. It's shit when compared to every SR/TJ album track from the past 11 years*. The only redeeming part is that brief electric part in the middle of the song, which is why I don't rank it lower. [1.5]
Senkou Shoujo - Eh. I might actually like it more if it was a slow song, but then it would have to placed somewhere else on the album. [4.5]
Kimaru - I love the idea. Really. However - and this is purely my fault - I lose patience after 4:30. It's such a drag at that point. [8]

[Sweet Spot] (9.5)
There is no explaining why I love this song
No no, don't even try to tell why I'm wrong
So when I stop and think about it, I wonder
How could anyone... how could anyone ever hate it?

I actually came up with a full-length parody of the song poking fun at how much I'm a fan of this track but thought better than to post it.

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
That's all I want, for her to keep raising the bar.
There's always the possibility of a plateau, though then the question of whether it's forced or natural arises.

*poster should actually check the entire catalog just to be safe, so don't take this at face value
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 07:42 AM   #234
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Don't get the hate for Noriki :\... I really think it's one of the best tracks on the album, actually. The B-movie sound is brilliant IMO, and the chorus deserves a f-ing choreography.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 08:07 AM   #235
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I don't get hate for FOUL. It's so fun to sing along to, and not as inaudible/offensive as its predecessors. I like it when they ramp things up at the end.

And why do people like Sayonara Season so much? I just tune out when I listen to that song.
Old 2010.02.26, 12:19 PM   #236
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

okay so here's my review after sitting with the album for a week, I've listened to it in full several times this week. I'm going to rate each song out of five stars.

ikiru - 3.5 stars - this is a great opening for an album but it doesn't have the legs to stand on its own after repeated listens. when I want to listen to Sports, I'll start here, but I don't know when I would want to only listen to this song. this is largely based on the production and length, it sounds like a great start. I do actually like the song, I just think it goes on a bit too long and would have worked just as well slightly abbreviated

denpa tsuushin - 4.5 stars - what can I say? I love this song. This is what I wanted Sports to be, a mix of electro/pop fusion. ringo hasn't had a catchy hook like this since SS. I've already used this song to rope in non-ringo/jihen believers and everyone has responded amazingly. I applaud izawa!

season sayonara - 2.5 stars - this is tied for least-favorite track on the album with FAIR. just not my cup of tea. ringo's vocals are nice, but coming after denpa tsuushin its a bit out of left field. I do find that it is slowly growing on me, though

kachiikusa - 3 stars - I still can't believe this is an entirely Ringo song. the production on this song reeks of Variety and Uki's guitar bugs me, but Ringo's vocal part is actually really great. I don't know if I like the production of it here, but I already find myself singing along to this in the car and its a lot of fun. this might be a long-term grower.

FOUL - 4 stars - this went from being my least favorite to right up near the top. its pretty unconventional with the lack of any real structure and the straight forward nature, but after you get used to the general melody its really fun to kind of scream along to. I like the production here, it brings me back to Crawl and early Phase 1 Jihen.

uten kekkou - 4 stars - the "cute" song. what didn't work for variety actually really works here. the lyrics are kind of cute but bittersweet and I find I actually like this song.

3min - 4.5 stars - I've loved this song since the single was released. this sits with denpa tsuushin at the top and really encompasses what I wanted Sports to be, mainly, a fusion of synth/electronic elements into Jihen's formula

zettai zetsumei - 4.5 stars - another of my top picks. this really shot up the charts as soon as I read the lyrics. the production at the start bugs me a bit, but once ringo's voice comes in clear from 1 min on it really picks up. love this track

FAIR - 2 stars - what do I say about this song? just not a fan of this style, although I don't find anything offensive in it on a whole, the entire song as a whole just isn't something that I would want to listen to.

noriki- 4 stars - I don't get the hate for this song. I think people immediately associate it with Variety based on certain key production elements, but when you look past all that, the chorus is amazingly catchy, and the electro breakdown towards the end of the song is amazing. izawa likes his keyboard quite a bit and I think since Variety incorporated a lot of that, anytime we hear that production it puts a bad taste in our mouths, but I think what didn't work for Variety really works here.

sweet spot - 3.5 stars - another song I don't get the hate for. ringo's vocals are quite lovely and the simple acoustic guitar and melody are quite a nice contrast to Jihen's usual style. This brings me back to Phase One a bit...

Senkou Shoujo - 4 stars - I love this song, and having it here on this album isn't offensive to me. My friend who has been out of the Jihen loop for a while has the complete album and was completely unaware about senkou shoujo originating from Variety. It never fit with Variety as a whole and not everyone is collector or a rabid fan, so I think including it here was a really nice touch. I mean, honestly, if you had never heard this song before and had no idea it had been previously released, I really doubt there would be nearly as many negative reactions. Production-wise, it sounds like it fits quite well, and personally, I'm happy to have it in high-quality. I had a rip both from the DVD and the official release from iTunes Japan (at 256) but neither of them sound as good as it does here, partially due to a remaster for this release.

kimaru - 3.5 stars - this falls into what I said about ikiru as well. its great to hear Jihen experimenting with new sounds and styles and in that sense this song really succeeds, but past a certain point this song just bores me. I have to be in the right mindset to listen to it but as a closing track to the album it works really well. so props to Jihen for doing something unexpected and new.

overall: 4 stars out of 5.

I'd give this album 4 out of 5, I think it really succeeds on a lot of levels and initial first listen disappointment was pretty low, and the areas I was unsure about and songs I didn't enjoy quickly grew on me, to the point where there are only one or two tracks where I immediately want to skip ahead, and that is only so I can more quickly reach the really rocking catchy stuff. I'm glad Ringo and the boys just make albums as they fancy without these lofty goals. Honestly, if the set out to specifically make something "revolutionary" I think it would just come out pretentious and not nearly as enjoyable as a lot of the work they have been putting out. This may be frustrating for a lot of the fans out there, but I've long since accepted Jihen for what they are, not what they could be. I see the potential in them and I believe in them, but I'm a realist, I see what they are doing now and I judge them by those standards. watching them "gain their legs" as it has been put before isn't something I'm interested in waiting around for, its either now or never, do you like what you are getting or are you going to hang around year after year hoping they will reach that point you consider to be worthwhile? For me, Jihen has always been the counterpoint to Ringo, the band that she has fun with, creates pop music with, something fun, but also something that is refined and unique. I don't need Ringo to remake MM, SS, or KZK, because I already have them and anytime I want to listen to them they are there for me. So I'm happy Jihen continues to explore sounds and I think that this album really succeeds where Variety failed. It takes the band from where they left off in Variety and continues down that path, and considering the amount of growth and change in sound between the two, I'm extremely excited to see what happens next. And in the meantime, I have this kickass album with many songs that I know I'm going to enjoy for quite some time to come.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.26 at 12:23 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.26, 03:12 PM   #237
Scribble R

I could easily accept Tokyo Jihen for what they are now if they release twelve Kimarus for the next album. I'm in love with that song. I want to see Ukigumo crying and Kameda doing that scary thing with his mouth when they perform this live.
Old 2010.02.26, 06:00 PM   #238
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Don't get the hate for Noriki :\
Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I don't get hate for FOUL.
Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
noriki- 4 stars - I don't get the hate for this song.
What's with all the "I don't get the hate"ing? Am I gonna have to go Jihad on you guys?
Old 2010.02.26, 09:43 PM   #239
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Denpa Tsuushin - Still sounds like a Sonic game BGM, but has potential live.
Super Sonic. Hyper Sonic.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 12:40 AM   #240
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
What's with all the "I don't get the hate"ing? Am I gonna have to go Jihad on you guys?
I don't get the hate on our commenting on not getting the hate on certain tracks. whats not to understand?
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote