Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.06.28, 01:00 AM   #11
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

My first impression after one round is that it's a weird blend of Sports and Adult, but has enough character to be its own thing. I'm glad they fixed the digital singles so they fit in with the rest of the album, but the two physical single tracks seem really out of place. I already liked the original "Tengoku", but the new version is unbelievably good!

I thought the album really fell apart during the last three or four songs. Even though I like both songs, the transition from "Kaze ni Ayakatte Yuke" to "Onna no Ko wa Dare demo" is pretty horrible. The last two tracks ("Onna no Ko" and "Tengoku") really stick out as having no counterparts on the album, making it the weakest ending to an SR/TJ album I've heard so far.

Highlights for me are "Tengoku e Yokusou For the Disc", "Atarashii Bunmei-kaika", "Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko", "Kinjirareta Asobi" and "Osorubeki Otona-tachi". That's all I really have to say so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll interpret this material live, since I don't like Sports very much, but I loved Ultra C.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 01:12 AM   #12
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

First impressions 7.5/10 (.5 more than I would give Sports)
Old 2011.06.28, 01:16 AM   #13
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I want...

SPOIL THE SURPRISE PLEASE.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 01:29 AM   #14
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Shivering to withhold opinions.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 01:33 AM   #15
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'll definitely go into more detail later, but first impressions is that it's definitely better than Sports. The problem is, there were so many times where I felt they 'hiccuped' -- where I felt they had a great thing going, but it fell flat in some way or another or the parts didn't 'click' as they may have done with SR's solo work (oops, shouldn't have said that). I had a lot of those moments during Uki's second song.

My favourite songs so far : Tengoku Disc (which I think ended prematurely!), Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko (haha, Bonnie Pink) and Osorubeki Otona-tachi

Last edited by Scribble R : 2011.06.28 at 01:41 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 01:37 AM   #16
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

yay, review thread!

I agree with the ADULT references. The variety of sounds here certainly bring to mind ADULT.

For me, this wasn't as instant love for me as SPORTS (I was literally shaking when I heard the opening bits of Ikiru), but this record certainly gets under your skin quickly. I also bet it would benefit from a higher quality rip (like ADULT certainly did, then, say, Kyouiku).

I really love Kaitei ni sukuu otoko; did Uki write that - made to be played live! Kinjirareta asobi was also awesome; I would say this one is most greatly reminiscent of the sort of sound and vibe that we have come to associate with Ringo and Jihen. New version of DOPAMINT! was really great initially (the verses are sex), I would have liked a little bit more punch in the choruses.

The one track I'm ambivalent towards is Katte wa otoko to onna - Those who hated Variety are gonna rip this one apart. This was really boring for me. But then I also thought Tasogare naki was boring and it's prolly one of my favourite songs written by Ringo.

Gonna go off to listen to it 23091321 more times now.

EDIT to include opinions on new Tengoku - I liked the re-arrangement, but I wouldn't say that I love it a lot more over the original. I especially disliked that the climax "Goodbye my sunshine, goodbye my darker days etc etc" was missing in this new mix. I cannot get over the flatness each time I listen to it. It's the one (glaring) flaw to an otherwise well produced track and it KILLS me. I also think this is what's preventing me from liking it more than SPORTS - Ikiru is probably my favourite opening track of all the Jihen albums so far.

EDIT again - Finally recalled what Kinjirareta asobi reminded me off (was killing me for the longest time) - Tokai no mana-!

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2011.06.28 at 04:15 AM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 06:07 AM   #17
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

Okay then, this is the first time ever I actually review anything here. Let's get started...

= very good
= good
= so and so
= not convinced
= useless/don't like it

01. Tengoku e Youkoso For The Disc feels very appropriate as a opener. Also, this feels like the proper version of the song - I was never pleased with the original, as I said earlier in another thread. It has a vague exotic feeling, and this is the only possible link I could think of watching the album cover. I always think of TJ as a "cool band with a cool sound" - just think of Adult -, I can't deny they may give the impression they're trying too hard to keep this attitude every single time, and that it may look constrained sometimes. This is not the case, though.
02. Zettaichi tai Soutaichi still sounds like a mixture of Denpa Tsuushin and Noriki (two favourites of mine from Sports). I'm not particularly fond of this track, though. It's listenable, just nothing exceptional.
03. Atarashii Bunmei-kaika...and so TJ thought they needed an english, revised (?) version of Gunjou Biyori, along with an awkward and full-of-randomness promotional video. To my surprise, Ringo's english there is not that bad. There are times when I don't understand a word of what she's singing - of course, not being a native-speaker doesn't help either. But that's not the point. Actually, I like that she's tried to sing in several languages throughout her career; sometimes, though, I just wonder why she does that, if she really has no interest to perform in or appeal to foreign countries. Back to topic...I needed several listens to be fully convinced, but now I quite like this track. It sounds more typically TJ-ish.
04. Denki No Nai Toshi is currently my favourite track from the album. It's true that it's a bit reminiscent of both Pinocchio and Tegami (iirc, people on 2ch said it), but to my liking it is superior to both of them. Could be a great closing track for a concert. I find a vague similarity to Rakujitsu, too. Piano-driven tracks win me every single time.
05. Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko scares me for the sole fact that I keep hearing some bits of Keikoku (please don't kill me, nor go all like "OMG BLASPHEMY") here and there. It's the typical Ukigumo-penned good-for-lives track, and it's also a bit reminiscent of Mirrorball - Ukigumo's songwriting is pretty much always the same and I'm not an avid fan of it.
06. Kinjirareta Asobi sounds so mysterious in the beginning, then reveals its raw nature. 2ch users said it was KSK-ish, I can see their point but I don't really get the comparison. It's ok, not particularly noteworthy, probably another great live track. I can hear Ringo's compositional vein here, this is a good sign.
07. Dopa-mint! BPM103 is surprising. As I said for Tengoku, I never liked the original song. This jazzy, mellow interlude-like arrangement made the song 10x times better. The result is surely less messy than the original, and fits better overall in the album context. Definitely approved.
08. Osorubeki Otona-tachi is a bit meh. I only hear Kameda's bland composing, which I've never been a fan of. It's listenable, though I'll most likely skip it in the future.
09. 21seiki Uchuu no Ko. Ok, what is this? The next Toumei Ninge...sorry, I meant Senkou Shoujo. I don't hate this type of songs, but, seriously, do TJ need a generic-sounding one for every single album? And I even like both of the aforementioned songs. Skippable if not useless.
10. Katsute wa Otoko to Onna. Variety leftover, anyone? Pointless and boring. Whatever.
11. Sora ga Natteiru would feel just right in another japanese rockband album. However, when placed here it sounds rather generic and hardly takes a spot. Overall, I think it's a bit out of place and should belong to another group. I still want to hear Ringo's solo version.
12. Kaze Ni Ayakatte Yuke/Ike feels like a big "WTF", it's awkwardly placed and hardly works as a transition to the next song. I don't really get it. Weird song and lyrics (the english ones at least). It's not that bad, but definitely needs more listenings. But, seriously, what the hell? The album worked so well until Dopa-mint!, but then...
13. Onna no Ko wa Daredemo. Don't blame me, I have a thing for the so-called showtunes and this song is nothing short of a nu-Shiina instant classic. I just love it. But it has no place here. Should have been on Sanmon Gossip instead. My vote is clearly influenced by its odd placement, otherwise it would have got a green approve sign.
b.t. Tengoku he Youkoso For The Tube has rather weird english lyrics and a rather unattractive arrangement. The song has its potential, the new version proved it. In this guise I'm completely indifferent to it.

Forgive my awkward english speaking (writing?), I hope I made myself understandable. I didn't put much thought as I would in this "review". Briefly, for me the album stopped working after Dopa-mint!. It's anything but cohesive, but as a whole I've got no particular complaints: I like Daihakken. More than Sports, actually. That's all.

Last edited by mr. Pillow : 2011.06.28 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Corrected some typos, softened opinion towards track 12.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 06:43 AM   #18
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

The first half (+Track 8) is definitely better, will try to post more later.

btw

lol

I lol'ed.
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 09:04 AM   #19
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I think Jihad will tackle this as the laziest album ever. Tengoku he Youkoso For The Tube, Onna no Ko wa Daredemo, Sora ga Natteiru are the same tunes as previous releases. Dopamint and Tengoku e Youkoso For The Disc are rehashes.

This definitely sounds alittle more experimental than SPORTS. In the way Ringo uses her vocals to a new level.
Denki No Nai Toshi is definitely the best song in the album. Ringo always have that special niche for sad love songs(I know it isn't exactly a love song) and maybe angry love songs too like jusui negai.

Loving the new Dopa-mint! too! Ringo never fails to entertain with songs that have claps or snappy fingers.

Special Thanks for grandmama!!! I think I shall not break the silence. Let's keep it a secret right, grandmama?

Unrelated:

This definitely cheered me up after one hell of a bad round of violin practice. It was absolute shit for a grade 4 violinist. I don't think I can get distinction for my grade 4 violin exam coming on 18 July T_T I would be lucky if I get just a merit. My self just doesn't want to work with me...

Last edited by W3iHong : 2011.06.28 at 09:11 AM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 09:27 AM   #20
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

^ Same tunes as previous releases:
Do you know the difference between Album and Single?
Have you ever seen him complaining about Kabukicho no Joou in MM or Gunjo Biyori in Kyouiku?

^ rehashes:
Some rehashes are good.
But I have to agree with Jihad that most rehashes in HF are worse than the original versions.

The first paragraph really made me sick
Thank you.
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote