Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.01.14, 10:20 AM   #61
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
I'm really curious to hear a SR/TJ-live version of it, though.
Ugh why would anyone want this or the Tokio song. Hearing it from Shiina/the band would only make them less noteworthy.

So on the plus side, its not as obvious as the Tokio Jihen song, its not a straight up proxy of a song we've heard. It doesn't beat you over the head with "hey this is someone else's song with someone else singing." Only those well familiar with Shiina and I think the knowledge that she wrote the song would be able to pick out her re-hashing...or shall I say "self-references" for the apologists out there in the crowd.

The "problem" here with EMF is that everyones judging it as a Shiina song rather than as a Puffy song. Granted its expected and not everyone here is so familiar with Puffy's discography (as much as people here listen to real jpop crap, I cant imagine why they'd pass on the good stuff but whatever) But what I think everyone needs to remember is that this song needs to sound like a Puffy song. Because this is a Puffy song. That's whose catalog it'll be in.

On one hand, its more "Puffy" than "All Because of You" which sounded just like an Avril Lavigne song (because it was a song she had written) and this sounded less like Shiina and more like those performing. Howevva, I just don't feel it captures that crazy happy jumpy Puffy spirit. I think it could have though. The chorus could have been loosened up and let the girls have at it rather than rein them in. So in that respect, and I think more importantly because of this, "All Because of you" is the more successful song. However, this song could have, I think it was just a missed opporitunity. Unfortunately, I still don't see it as anything more than a (half-hearted) album song.

To be contrary to Glath's post, it's ok that this song sounds poppy. This is sorta the godmother's of modern jpop afterall. Granted, Puffy has the range to go all BJC and still sound genuine. But hey given the songwriter's track record as of late, I think this is okay. Its not too poppy or embarrassing. It does have that groany Jazz-Doors-ey pop that Shiina likes, but as I said, its not so in your face here.

After a while of this news break, I think I told Glath I was upset that Shiina was writing a Puffy song. "She's going to ruin my other favorite japanese act too!" I'm pleased to see she didn't ruin them with "Shiina antics" and it sounds vaguely Puffy, even if it's not the Puff-iest.

I'm still not interested in that 10th anniversary dvd shit.

EDIT: ftr, Tesla is not a fan of Puffy's most recent two albums. I am a fan of them though. Shinji and everyone should TOTALLY check them out if they haven't. Which seems crazy to me =p

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2009.01.14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2009.01.14, 10:25 AM   #62
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

it does sound like Blackout, but without the latin-flavor.

There's pipe organ in there along with the Ukigumo fuzz guitar, is it TJ playing backing track again?

There are too many cliches in the song, and part of this is our fault for being such attentive fans of everything Ringo and TJ makes, but its a good song on its own merits.

the delivery isnt quite right for the song. The vocals dont have any dynamics. I think Ringo would sing more ballsy during the chorus and mellow on verse. Thats not a Puffy way to do things though, so can't help that. The video itself is Grrrrreat.
Old 2009.01.14, 10:38 AM   #63
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NCORE View Post
maybe Shiina doesn't like blankey solely for the music itself Glath
If this were the case, you would think that at least some of the nonmusical attributes of Blankey Jet City would have been inspirational factors in the roster selection for Tokyo Jihen Phase 2, if not any of the musical attributes.
Old 2009.01.14, 10:45 AM   #64
Canto

Canto has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Thanks for sharing at first hand.
Well, the composition just fits the new mediocre image of SR, so I won't bother to comment on that anymore.
But AGAIN! Why is there Ukigumo's stale sour guitar sound haunting everywhere!
Old 2009.01.14, 11:14 AM   #65
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

wow this song is NOT flattering to PUFFY at all. If I didn't know who Puffy was and I heard this I would think someone was singing a cheap rip off alternate of black-out karaoke at some trashy club while drunk.

as for all the parts that you guys things sounds like ringo's other music, I think your trying to hard to make connections where there are none.

this sounds like blackout pretty much only in the fuzzy organ and guitar, but I went back and listened to the parts pointed out and while they do seem a bit similar to jihen compositions, you guys are REALLY reaching.

overall though TOKIO>>>>>PUFFY when all is said and done if you ask me. I know I won't spend money on this know, thank goodness.
Old 2009.01.14, 11:17 AM   #66
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
as for all the parts that you guys things sounds like ringo's other music, I think your trying to hard to make connections where there are none.

yes

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2009.01.14, 11:30 AM   #67
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
ftr, Tesla is not a fan of Puffy's most recent two albums. I am a fan of them though. Shinji and everyone should TOTALLY check them out if they haven't. Which seems crazy to me =p
I'm just not a big fan of Splurge and Honeycreeper. Both albums contain some very good songs, but these two releases have taken a long time to grow on me, vs. being immediately appealing like their earlier material. It's still PUFFY. They could throw some spoons in a garbage disposal and I'd give it at least one serious listen.
Old 2009.01.14, 11:33 AM   #68
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I noticed that part was Shoujo Robot just the first time I listened to the song. I just had a hard time remembering that it was Shoujo Robot, since it's not a song I listen much (it's not, huh, memorized or something).
So we have:
a song that I don't listen much + noticing it the very first time I heard the Puffy song = not REALLY reaching.
Old 2009.01.14, 12:09 PM   #69
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Nu-Shiina Defence Force!
Ever notice its the same people that don't think songs sound similar when other's are in consensus?

However, I do think there is a little over-emphasis. This isnt a "almost cover" like amagasa, but there are definitely compositional borrowings going on. I think it's delusional to say its not even immediately apparent to Shiina fans.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2009.01.14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 2009.01.14, 12:37 PM   #70
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Yeah, I guess I made too much posts about those similarities, mostly because I couldn't get it right at first lol

What I'm most wondering right now is how the Opening animation will be like. The anime seems to have NO really connection to the song, at least mood-wise. And there's very few videos of it, only that 14second thing I linked. It's a wonder the first episode will air tomorrow. Anyway, it seems the producers of the show really want to advertise the Opening Theme/Ending Theme artists. Atari Kousuke must be almost as expensive as PUFFY, so they better profit from it.
Closed Thread