Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.08.05, 09:22 AM   #241
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Thanks a whole lot, EmilScherbe. This makes me look forward to taking Japanese 101 this semester in school even more...
Old 2010.08.05, 07:59 PM   #242
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by waxringo View Post
maybe she was born w 6 fingers on each hand :O
Ouch!

弐拾(nijuu) is twenty. not twelve.

Edit to add: reason for mistake
1.mixed up "twelve" and "twenty" as English word for 20.
2.it is usually spelled as 二十. KZK ways of fabricated pre-WWII letter made troubles.

2 is what I feel snobbish through out this album not only this song.

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2010.08.06 at 09:58 PM.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.01.25, 11:37 AM   #243
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
from Tengoku e Youkoso/Dopamint! thread:

twelve twenty fictitiously deep red painted nails is completed

"duplication" is mistranslation. it's translation for 重複(juufuku).
従服(juufuku) is obedience/submission
(usually spelled as 服従(fukujuu))

"a pair of glasses" is too literally translated.
this お眼鏡(omegane) is judgment. meet your expectations.
Thanks Emil. I made that translation a loooooooong time ago, at a much earlier stage of Japanese study, and it has been on my list of ones to redo/reexamine for a while now; I wasn't sure of it at the time and now I know there are errors. I will look into it again soon.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.12, 12:28 PM   #244
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Someone please give me a tasty sweet. It can be poison, it doesn't really matter. If possible I'd prefer the sweets, I could spend money for them as much as for water.

My friend keeps using this as a translation for the first lines of Shuukyou. Where did they come from? I'm just wondering because they are fairly different from the translation on Frecklegirl's website.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.12, 06:27 PM   #245
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
Someone please give me a tasty sweet. It can be poison, it doesn't really matter. If possible I'd prefer the sweets, I could spend money for them as much as for water.

My friend keeps using this as a translation for the first lines of Shuukyou. Where did they come from? I'm just wondering because they are fairly different from the translation on Frecklegirl's website.
The last line of your friend's translation is skipping over or mistranslating 蟲歯も厭はない (mushiba mo itowanai) ("I don't mind the cavities.") I'd go with Frecklegirl on that one.

Frecklegirl translates 湯呑勘定 (yunomi kanjou) as "I think about drinking tea," which I'm not sure about. I should spend more time on it, but I think it just means "the cost of a hot drink"--the "drink" referring to the sweet/poison that she's desiring, resulting in "cavities" she's perfectly okay with. It's all metaphoric, of course, which makes it so difficult to translate into plain English.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.12, 07:17 PM   #246
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I remember reading one translation that noted that the "I think about drinking tea" line was somehow a play on a certain poetic form.
Old 2011.02.12, 11:18 PM   #247
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

It's a teacup, for sure. But she's definitely not talking about tea.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.13, 02:22 PM   #248
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Speaking of the teacup, I've noticed something about SR's covers: they're paired opposites. For instance, in MM she's hidden among a bunch of people, but in SS, she's at the forefront and she's the only person on the cover. With KSK, there's a small empty teacup, but in HF, there's a large bathtub filled with all sorts of weird crap. Am I just imagining things/Is this a new idea, or did I miss the memo?
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.13, 04:00 PM   #249
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Considering the real cover for MM isn't even the crowd of people picture, I'd say it's just coincidence. The liner notes for KSK are symmetrical/opposites themselves though.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.18, 12:29 PM   #250
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

ahhhh I didn't translate the "Shuukyou" on my website! It's by someone else and is clearly noted that way! Though someday I do want to make my own translation.

And sylfi, I really wouldn't consider HF the successor/complement to KSK. It was not released under her own name, it is "Shiina Ringo x Saitou Neko." All the others including SG are "Shiina Ringo" alone. KSK to me does not have a successor, it stands alone and marks the end of an era.

Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
Considering the real cover for MM isn't even the crowd of people picture
Huh?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote