Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.09.02, 09:25 PM   #1
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts
Default Best TJ Song(s) for Each Instrument

I don't know much about music besides what I hear of it. I'm wondering what you more musically-competent people consider to be the best Tokyo Jihen songs for each of the instruments in the band. For example, which songs feature the best guitar work / bass parts / so on. Please keep the majority of the discussion to phase 2 stuff because it's hard to compare the two bands and people's tastes obviously differ on them.

To start, I consider two of the best piano tracks to be Himitsu and Tasogare Naki. But I'm not a piano whiz, so maybe someone with more knowledge could add to that.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.02, 09:32 PM   #2
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I always thought the Piano on Sake to Goto was pretty overlooked and awesome. You know, the big ass bit at 0:52. Might not be complicated, but that shit fucking rocks!

If it was solo Ringo, the piano solo on Shun is obviously the best thing ever. Up there with Cornflake Girl.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.09.02 at 09:39 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.03, 03:11 AM   #3
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Kurumaya-san from DYNAMITE! OUT. I absolutely love the melodica there...
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.03, 07:13 AM   #4
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

This one's a bit obvious, but it bears mentioning...HZM's Debussy-esque impressionism on Genjitsu ni Oite is stylistically amazing, and that comes through even on a subpar recording. Technically, it's a very easy song to play, but the feel of it is difficult to replicate (I've tried, but "trying" is probably the wrong approach to something that emotionally suggestive).

Yume no Ato is another obvious one for HZM. Especially the bridge. It's the definitive example of why HZM is a better pianist than Izawa, even though it's not in the forefront of the recording.

I still think Izawa is a great keyboardist; he just doesn't have HZM's "spirit." His part in Rakujitsu is similar to HZM's part in Yume no Ato -- mechanically, they're performed equally well, but, compared with HZM, Izawa is lifeless.

That being said, Izawa always seems to draw my ears toward his keyboard. His piano/harpsichord riffs in Blackout, the bridge/interlude of FAIR, the part in Sake to Geko deadgrandma mentioned, his Rhodes in Osorubeki Otona-tachi, his two solo phrases in OSCA (and I'm not a huge fan of Ukigumo and Kameda's two solo phrases in that song).

Well anyway that's the take of someone who plays piano. I'm not nearly comfortable enough with the other instruments to comment on them (but from a listener's standpoint I really have to mention Kameda's bass on Sanpunkan -- is that considered impressive from a bassist's standpoint?)
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.03, 09:04 AM   #5
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Yeah, I agree that genjitsu no oite is probably the best song played by the piano. It is easy to play but difficult to express the full range of emotions. If you listen to (lets say) sibelius violin concerto movement 1 played by many different but all extremely talented violinist: the emotion is definitely different.

And the violin in karisome otome, either tameikesanno version in heisei fuuzoku or the hitokuchizaka version in watashi to houden (i think this is the one in sakuran), the violin just go over the place doing its own stuff. The timing and rhythm is very weird. I play the violin and I can never get the beats right... It is truly amazing how it goes along with Ringo's voice.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.04, 10:40 AM   #6
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

For me...

3 min. or OSCA for bass, Omatsuri sawagi for drums.

I agree with most of the choices for keys/piano listed so far, but would like to point out that I really love the piano-jamming that happens at the end of Ekimae, and also the piano bits in Season Sayonara.

Guitars... Sounan, and a more recent one that I can think of off the top of my head right now is Uki's solo at the end of Osorubeki otona-tachi.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.05, 07:27 AM   #7
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Yes! The Bass on 3min. is areally amazing. I really like Kameda's solo during Ultra C (or was that during OSCA?)
I also like the drums in Bokoku Jouchou
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.06, 12:59 AM   #8
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
Well anyway that's the take of someone who plays piano. I'm not nearly comfortable enough with the other instruments to comment on them (but from a listener's standpoint I really have to mention Kameda's bass on Sanpunkan -- is that considered impressive from a bassist's standpoint?)
Noudouteki Sanpunkan is kind of a mixed bag for me. Kameda has some amazing fills in it, specifically during the chorus and nearing the end, but the rest of the bassline is a bit boring, to me at least. Coming from a bassist, some of my favorites include Blackout (my number-one bassline), Killer Tune, Sono Onna Fushidara ni Tsuki (though everyone is all over the place during that), Genjitsu wo Warau. I really enjoy playing OSCA. That bassline is a wonder, how anyone possibly conceived the chorus sequence is lost on me. Also, Yukiguni is a great example of how I like to play bass, as an accompaniment/harmony to the vocal lead. Anyway, whatever Kameda touches is gold.

I can't really speak for any other instruments, but I would say my favorite piano part is the entirety of Dynamite Out.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote