Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.05.19, 10:10 AM   #181
3knotsJK

3knotsJK has had more than 15 seconds of fame

青春の瞬き is the secret of a toll plaza -˛-
Old 2014.05.19, 04:45 PM   #182
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

And yet no fan disputes the quality of the entirety of KZK. She was on to something there. Everything else seems to be hit and miss with the diverse fan-base she has collected up to this point.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.19, 05:01 PM   #183
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

KZK was 11 years ago now though.
Old 2014.05.19, 06:32 PM   #184
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
And yet no fan disputes the quality of the entirety of KZK. She was on to something there. Everything else seems to be hit and miss with the diverse fan-base she has collected up to this point.
Not true. I've come across people that greatly prefer MM or SS over KZK. I've even heard people say SG is their favorite album from her. The conclusion to all this is that she has something to please everyone.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.19, 07:50 PM   #185
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

SG is still my personal favourite, just the easiest to stick on any day of the week for me. It's aging nicely too, still sounds fresh to my ears now.
Old 2014.05.19, 09:02 PM   #186
kalmia

I guess you can't say such things about anything, but I think what I said is generally more true for KZK than her other albums. Even though it was such a long time ago when it was released, my point is that it seems to be more agreeable among fans. Yes, there are definitely fans that prefer some albums over KZK but it is the only album I've never seen fans bash. I just mentioned it because that era was the only one so many fans think was good to great.
Old 2014.05.19, 09:26 PM   #187
deadgrandma

I don't doubt you there, KZK is easily the big landmark album that she's created a legacy upon. However, KZK was also a much less selling album than MM or SS too. MM and SS are the big power pop albums and KZK is the deeper, sit down and shut up when you're listening to it album.

SG is to me, a bit of all of them. It will never, ever be as popular as the holy trinity, and I've accepted that- but it's still the the most pleasurable personally to listen to. It also has Shun on it, which I dare say is the best song after Souretsu (but Souretsu to me works the best in the context of the album rather than a stand-alone song- unless its the TJ version) on any Ringo full length release.

But anyway, this is getting really off topic. Only a week now until the new one is officially out. Probably less than a week before people start hearing it in full.
Old 2014.05.20, 09:09 AM   #188
kalmia

When we're talking about sale statistics, we're really talking about the casual Japanese fan at the time of release. Only the hard-core fans continued to follow Ringo over the years -- and it makes sense since her style has changed so much. Both MM and SS feature far more commercial tracks that really defined who she was as an artist early on in her career. The number of fans who were dedicated enough to purchase her third album is not what I'm looking at. Instead, I am looking at the opinions of the remaining fans. The number of copies that sold are not indicative of how a product was received by the fans, but only indicative of how strong of a fan-base was at a given point in time. Really, KZK is too awesome to be popular in the mainstream.

The fact of the matter (and getting a bit more on topic) is that every time Ringo puts out a new work that is different from the last, she will disappoint and even lose fans. But the beauty of having such a vast and versatile discography is that she will also gain new fans with each new release as well. Surely this new release will make many people fall in love with Ringo and some fans of her older work will dismiss it. But without a doubt, some people will love it. It takes all kinds, they say. SG is what hooked me originally and although I love it now, I may not have really discovered Ringo if I had listened to SS first. Shun is one of my favorite songs. And remember: if you're not happy with the way that this sounds, just wait for the next release. This is an artist that is continuously changing and surprising fans. Please pardon Tokyo Jihen Phase 2.
Old 2014.05.20, 02:46 PM   #189
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Tokyo Jihen phase 2 is awesome...
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.20, 04:18 PM   #190
kalmia

I am one who enjoys Phase 2 very much, but I will admit that there a lot of the stuff at the end didn't have the kind of variety Ringo fans have grown to know.