Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.05.02, 03:14 PM   #41
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

it depends on the person. I personally don't like straight up covers. Why try and top the original artist? The best route is to alter the music quite drastically so that it exposes a different element of the song not explored by the original artist.

I have this really crazy cover of Honnou by Satoko Nishikawa. It is very slow with kind of acoustic guitar. It sounds nothing like Honnou except the melody is the same. I'm not sure if I like it, but it is quite an interesting take on the song. So that might get one of my votes as a top cover.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.02, 03:47 PM   #42
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Yeah, I am aware that j-pop is 90% of a record store. Still, I really don't think of Ringo as "j-rock." I just can't put her in that category. I guess I resent her being claimed/pinned down to any category or genre at all.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.02, 04:16 PM   #43
Migoto

Migoto is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
it depends on the person. I personally don't like straight up covers. Why try and top the original artist? The best route is to alter the music quite drastically so that it exposes a different element of the song not explored by the original artist.

I have this really crazy cover of Honnou by Satoko Nishikawa. It is very slow with kind of acoustic guitar. It sounds nothing like Honnou except the melody is the same. I'm not sure if I like it, but it is quite an interesting take on the song. So that might get one of my votes as a top cover.
I agree with you. That's why I think this cover is not bad, it's just... uninteresting.
Is that Honnou cover avaliable somewhere?
Migoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.04, 08:57 AM   #44
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

yeah, I also wanna hear that honnou cover

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.04, 12:48 PM   #45
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Yeah, I am aware that j-pop is 90% of a record store. Still, I really don't think of Ringo as "j-rock." I just can't put her in that category. I guess I resent her being claimed/pinned down to any category or genre at all.
I was actually agreeing with you, my comment was being directed at lazer. I know you've spent time in tower records etc in japan so you know how the system works. pretty much EVERYTHING is jpop. someone who criticizes jpop as being hamasaki ayumi and BoA but ringo being jrock or whatever ends up looking silly.
Old 2009.05.04, 05:50 PM   #46
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever personally call Shiina anything. But in sense of popularity and such I'd say she was pop (as in she is pretty popular) but musically it just goes by album and concert. Lyric wise as well, she only has a few real pop lyrics (the one that comes to mind is Gibbs, "i wanna be with you").

I think Shiina has met a good point in her life, with all these songs of hers being covered. I wouldn't say there are tons but most artists don't get their music covered hardcore like until 10 years after they stop making music :\
JimmyKoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.04, 09:23 PM   #47
kuro_neko

I bought it off iTunes, Japan iTunes is half DRM encoded and half DRM-free (US store is entirely DRM free, but I think Japan's labels are still on the fence about using iTunes, all the other mp3 vendors have DRM coding still). Ringo's iTunes catalogue is DRM free and higher quality than the DRM encoded stuff. Sadly the Honnou cover is encoded. Perhaps if someone was able to instruct me how to strip the coding I could upload it. Or I suppose I could just record it using audio hijack or something