Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.03.14, 08:28 PM   #11
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Violin. When you get to the high position, it is absolutely essential to get the finger positioning right. A difference of a few mm or even less can throw the note out of tune.

Sometimes the little pinky just don't want to move inbetween to the extreme right and left.

And the pesky little finger doesn't want to move as fast as I want it to. My little finger doesn't like to follow my commands.

Last edited by W3iHong : 2012.03.14 at 09:01 PM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.14, 08:39 PM   #12
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

In disciplined piano playing, you want to minimize the total amount of maneuvering your hands are doing for the notes you're hitting, and avoiding participation from your little fingers is definitely more maneuvering. But there's plenty of songs where you could get away with that, where the material simply becomes more awkward to play - rather than impossible.
Old 2012.03.17, 02:48 PM   #13
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

I took piano lessons for about 10 years and I'm pretty sure Ringo would be able to use that dislocated pinky to play piano. She just wouldn't be able to generate quite the same amount of power as the other fingers, nor move it around as fast as her other fingers. Generally your right-pinky is going to be playing the high notes so having power to hit the keys hard isn't a big deal. You can change the fingering as well you hit the keys with. As someone else mentioned, the pinky is generally straight and not curled up like the rest of your fingers while playing.

The dislocation might actually the number of piano keys she can reach across at once, which would be an advantage.

If she were left-handed it would be a problem for guitar playing, because it's definitely used there to form chords.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.19, 04:24 AM   #14
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Woah. Never noticed that her pinky was finger was dislocated... Like, I'm sure anyone would've picked up on the fact that she raises her pinky during performances but I always thought this was something she just did as part of her on stage act. Very interesting.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote