Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do You Like ADULT?
Oh yeah, definitely 45 72.58%
Not really / Not at all 2 3.23%
I like it, but it's not the greatest 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.06.06, 05:50 AM   #61
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Kind of the same way you put words in my mouth when we were arguing over the depth of Luna Sea. I wouldn't put any of those songs under the same genre. "Rock" is way too generic of a term for me and doesn't completely fit the album. I could label John Mayer and Guns N' Roses as rock, but that doesn't seem very accurate, no?
That just depends on how you want to tag your songs. I know they would not fit perfectly into just "Rock" but I do not want to tag all my songs individually so I would rather put it under rock. Plus, it's not like Rock does it any injustice. Where would you place each song?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.06, 08:30 AM   #62
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I wonder how many more people will like Kyoiku more if it had the same production values as Adult. The poor sound quality seems to be the main reason it doesn't get as much love.
Old 2007.06.06, 11:39 AM   #63
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I wonder how many more people will like Kyoiku more if it had the same production values as Adult. The poor sound quality seems to be the main reason it doesn't get as much love.

Not saying that it's not a valid reason, but I never even noticed that the sound quality was bad. I just didn't like the style of the songs as much. I'm sure other people have a problem with it though, since it's mentioned quite a bit
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.06, 02:18 PM   #64
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Where would you place each song?
It's indie rock 'n' roll for me!
With some funk, samba, post punk, jazz and alternative.
Old 2007.06.06, 02:34 PM   #65
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think the disparity between Kyoiku and Adult is blown vastly out of proportion.
Gomatsuri Sawagi, Ekimae, Yume no Ato, Juusui Nagai, even Genjitsu no Warau ad Sounan (Blackout jokes aside) could have been at home on Adult.

Likewise: Superstar, Kenka Jouto, Tasogare Naki, Tegami, Kabuki could pass for Kyoiku songs. (And heck, three songs partially were.)
Old 2007.06.06, 06:54 PM   #66
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Supposedly there is this low production value but I do not think so. I think it just sounds rough because they do not use many more sounds asides from the ones their instruments make and it is louder, but I do not think it has poor sound quality at all.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I think the disparity between Kyoiku and Adult is blown vastly out of proportion.
Gomatsuri Sawagi, Ekimae, Yume no Ato, Juusui Nagai, even Genjitsu no Warau ad Sounan (Blackout jokes aside) could have been at home on Adult.

Likewise: Superstar, Kenka Jouto, Tasogare Naki, Tegami, Kabuki could pass for Kyoiku songs. (And heck, three songs partially were.)
Yea, I do not think it is a huge difference, but I think sounan is too hard to fit in right with the rest of the ADULT songs.
Old 2007.06.06, 07:04 PM   #67
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

(Note: It's to be expected that any Adult versus Kyoiku debate will eventually boil down to a Phase 1 Versus Phase 2 debate)

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Supposedly there is this low production value but I do not think so. I think it just sounds rough because they do not use many more sounds asides from the ones their instruments make and it is louder, but I do not think it has poor sound quality at all.
Muzai Moratorium with often the same instrumentation, sounds thicker, smoother, and clearer, whether the particular MM track has more instruments or less.

Dynamite Out! with the exact same instrumentation, sounds better, and I'm not just talking about the performance itself.

What listening equipment are you using to deduce that the recordings/mixes of Kyoiku are just the fault of the instruments? It sounds thin and dry more than it sounds rough, like somebody grabbed it off the radio. I have to preserve these particular tracks in lossless, because if you put them in 320kbps MP3, they sound like 64kbps WMA samples from Toshiba-EMI's website. It's a total letdown. Phase 1 fans have been complaining about it since before Adult even came out, despite how much they love the music of Phase 1.

And then the new fans get introduced to the lush recordings of Adult, and Phase 1 fans can't help but wonder if the success of Adult has more to do with the recordings than the music. The point we try to emphasis is that if we prefer Kyoiku, the only thing to love about it is the music, therefore Phase 2 fanboys are "naive", "unscholared in the ways of music", etc..
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.06, 08:18 PM   #68
HEDOfloe

Hmm, I don't know when I first heard it I did not think it was very bad quality and I usually just delete any mp3s i get that sound like they are low quality. ADULT obviously sounds better but I did not think that kyouiku had really bad quality. Also, just as you wonder how much the recording has to with the success of adult, I do not think that many people liked kyouiku any less because of the quality, if anything I'd just wish that it was made at a higher quality but it never comes to mind when I listen to the album.

Also, I'm not blaming the instruments or anything, I just feel that kyoiku isnt as sugar-coated with other sounds, asides from the instruments themselves, as ADULT is.
Old 2007.06.07, 08:37 AM   #69
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ I'd like to purchase whatever magical equipment you have that makes the sound quality go from "middle school garage band" to "not very bad."
Old 2007.06.07, 09:53 AM   #70
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I believe production and mixing are just as much a part of creating music as laying down the instrumental tracks, so trying to differentiate between "production/recordings" and "music" is the thing that's a little naive. The production is a part of the music just as any instrumental track is, because it all contributes to the sound of the song.

Saying you're only interested in the music and not the production is like saying you like pictures but don't care how they are photographed. Any photographer overhearing you would be tempted to kill you. A significant part of the beauty of the pictures is how they are captured on film. The experience of the image comes to you through the filter (often literally) of the photographer.

That said, I absolutely love the songs on both albums. I love both Phases for their unique contributions to the vast world of Shiina Ringo's songs. But Adult gets (a lot) more play from me simply because (speaking metaphorically) the photographer found some great angles, cropped everything well, and used some nice lenses and filters (As opposed to the photographer for Kyoiku, who I believe was using a point-and-shoot cell phone camera). Adult is just a lot more pleasurable to look at.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list

Last edited by zach : 2007.06.07 at 10:39 AM.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote