Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.09.24, 12:13 PM   #11
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

pssshh, how dare you deceive me El Capitan =(
Old 2008.09.24, 12:25 PM   #12
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

hey I just noticed both Susanna Hoffs songs AND a cover of Unconditional Love are all from the same album. Sounds like little Ringo had some serious lady boner for this album. Hoffs also covered Bacharach's Alfie a few years ago...
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.24, 12:30 PM   #13
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

It's expected that most bands/singers are gonna do live versions or covers for the B-sides ? I've seen that a lot but as long as the singles and albums are 100% original (even with influences) then I don't care! she's not did a cover B-side for quite some time now and I suppose it was an easy way to pad out a single if you had not wrote anything decent at the time ? at least she's not like those crappy boy bands/dance acts that actually live off of a constant barrage of covers! and if as the Captain said that all the tracks are owned by EMI, maybe there was some pressure from them to use those songs ?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.24, 01:24 PM   #14
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
oh and turns out untitled track 10 on demo tape 3 is actually a cover of Echobelly's Today Tomorrow Sometime Never.

superinteresting.. thanks!!

i like this song =)

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.24, 01:27 PM   #15
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
Rinne Highlight is not a cover... it has a completely different melody but the lyrics are the same as No Kind of Love- check out the original on youtube. I can't read Japanese but as far as I know Shiina Ringo is credited for writing this song.
If so I'm sorry... as far as I know original writers should be credited even if you "borrow" a phrase, or a couple of lines from them, and if Rinne Highlight is credited just as written by Ringo, then that would qualify as plagiarism.
(I don't own any of the singles, but I consulted my WtH booklet and the songwriting credit is indeed only given to Shiina Ringo - whereas Unconditional Love is credited to Cyndi Lauper/Tom Kelly/Billy Steinberg as far as lyrics are concerned)
OK that probably wasn't right from the legal standpoint. Although in the booklet, the lyrics for RH are in Japanese... not in the song though. I agree with you on this.
Oh and Bingo... I wouldn't call covering "padding out" a single, not in Ringo's case. It's tough to make a good cover that's different from the original, maybe in some cases as hard as coming up with your own, so calling it that is really underrating the effort that comes into it. And we all know Shiina can even pull off a covers double album and make it work, right?
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.24, 01:30 PM   #16
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

eh, "should" is subjective, but i'm going to assume you meant that in an objective way. And thats historically its not often the case
Old 2008.09.24, 01:33 PM   #17
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Sure it isn't... I just consider it fair if you do it knowingly.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.24, 01:37 PM   #18
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

when boy bands do covers merman, I can assure you that they don't put a lot of effort into it!! even if the more serious artists do try to reinterpret the work it's still not as good for me as some more original work from them.. Utaite Myouri was a serious attempt at re-doing these songs rather than a cheap rush job for the Chrismas charts so it's not in the same vein as I was alluding to.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.24, 03:38 PM   #19
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

As merman said the lyrics of Rinne Highlight on booklet is Japanese.

See this then you would know how ringo avoided copyright problem and why she openly wrote herself as a lyric writer on booklet.

It was kind of paronomasia using similar japanese pronounciation to original english pronounciation.

It could be sort of evasion of the law, but at least not illegal.
Old 2008.09.24, 08:07 PM   #20
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

it could have to do with copyright, as in perhaps she wasn't legally able to cover the songs, or it wasn't financially viable for the company to pay for them, so she wrote phonetic japanese lyrics to justify the english lyrics and there you go

honestly, all these songs she took from are English....if I was getting my start and I wanted to write some demos in Japanese, most of which I thought wouldn't see the light of day, I would probably steal bits and pieces from my favorite bands. I mean, when your writing in a foreign language you tend to unconsciously grab those bits you've heard over and over, whether through common grammar forms heard in conversation, or even just movie dialogue and music. she does write songs in english, but I doubt her grasp of english is quite what it would take to write an entire song in fluent english.

movie directors often take exact angles and shots from favorite films and the like, this is a similar situation. like I said, she said the difference between KZK and MM when she was making them was most of the music for MM and SS was from demos that she thought no one would ever hear. That is why we will never hear KZK demos, because essentially the album IS the demo, she wrote the songs and then fucked with them in the studio and bypassed earlier steps like using demos. MM and SS she was working from demos though. She said all this in Rockin On Japan.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote