Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.09.25, 05:43 AM   #21
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by pariscombo View Post
As merman said the lyrics of Rinne Highlight on booklet is Japanese.

See this then you would know how ringo avoided copyright problem and why she openly wrote herself as a lyric writer on booklet.

It was kind of paronomasia using similar japanese pronounciation to original english pronounciation.

It could be sort of evasion of the law, but at least not illegal.
Isn't she clever?

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
honestly, all these songs she took from are English....if I was getting my start and I wanted to write some demos in Japanese, most of which I thought wouldn't see the light of day, I would probably steal bits and pieces from my favorite bands. I mean, when your writing in a foreign language you tend to unconsciously grab those bits you've heard over and over, whether through common grammar forms heard in conversation, or even just movie dialogue and music.
So true.

Oh, and thanks for the insight on the demo thing, that's certainly interesting to know

Also, my knowledge of Japanese is too limited and scrolling over the whole text with Rikaichan certainly wouldn't really help, so, do the Japanese "transcribed" lyrics make sense themselves, or is it a purely phonetic thing?
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.25, 05:47 AM   #22
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

that page only shows code for me....anyone have another source for the kanji?
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.25, 05:53 AM   #23
merman

merman is an asset to this community

I have the encoding set as Japanese (Shift_JIS) in Firefox... but if you tell me which encoding works for you, maybe I could convert it...?
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.25, 07:19 AM   #24
kuro_neko

is there any way you can just copy the kanji and PM it to me? I view on Safari or Firefox.
Old 2008.09.25, 10:26 AM   #25
kuro_neko

pretty impressive...

the lyrics don't directly translate of course, they don't even relate back necessarily to the lyrics of the song, but the message and the content definitely follows the same type of theme and story/feel, about lovers, women, etc. it kind of flows like free form poetry and I'm at a loss as to how to translate it. I'll post a quick and dirty one later, its almost 4 am here. some of the lyrics are nuts. to think she could keep the same phonetics and still write this is pretty insane and takes the issue from plagarism into pure genius.
Old 2008.09.26, 03:51 AM   #26
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by pariscombo View Post
As merman said the lyrics of Rinne Highlight on booklet is Japanese.

See this then you would know how ringo avoided copyright problem and why she openly wrote herself as a lyric writer on booklet.

It was kind of paronomasia using similar japanese pronounciation to original english pronounciation.

It could be sort of evasion of the law, but at least not illegal.
thanks, pariscombo! that's a pretty clever...
I'm not going to put lipstick on that pig, though. Using someone's work and publishing it without giving proper credits is wrong, rude and disrespectful.

The songs on the unreleased demos are fine because it sounds like she just wanted some words to go along with the music (she said in the 10 year anniversary interview that back then she didn't really care about the lyrics, whatever went with the music was fine). For all we know these songs had placeholder lyrics in case they were chosen and then rewritten in Japanese like Marunouchi Sadistic.

Originally Posted by merman View Post
Oh and Bingo... I wouldn't call covering "padding out" a single, not in Ringo's case. It's tough to make a good cover that's different from the original, maybe in some cases as hard as coming up with your own, so calling it that is really underrating the effort that comes into it. And we all know Shiina can even pull off a covers double album and make it work, right?
I totally agree! it's like they say- if you don't have anything new to add to the song you better not cover it at all. boybands need not apply

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
i like this song =)
me too... it's been stuck in my head for a couple of days now. I'm not crazy about the vocals but it's a great song!
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.26, 04:08 AM   #27
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I just noticed on Linnéa's demos website that LAY DOWN also has a version with Japanese lyrics but I don't know if it's another Rinne Highlight sort of deal or a complete rewrite like Marunouchi Sadistic. Can any of you Japanese speakers check it out? The lyrics are here.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.05, 01:28 PM   #28
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

One example of a Rinne Highlight line is the Susanna Hoffs original line "you never have the time" which in Ringo's phonetic spelling becomes 受難バッハどう?タイプ?/ junan bahha dou? taipu?

If you were to directly translate that line, well it doesn't make much sense but it would be something like "What was Bach's suffering like? What type?"

So she's kind of spelled the lyrics out phonetically, while giving them an entirely new and different meaning at the same time. Which is pretty classic Ringo all around, what with her love of katakana ruby texts over kanji that may or may not have the same meaning as the katakana word.

I'm a little surprised none of you (especially you, kuro) had checked this out before.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote