Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.07.05, 10:23 PM   #181
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

First interview translation in progress... of course, a lot of snippets from it have already made their way onto the Twitter and been translated by me, but hey. Anyway, I'm going to post it as I complete the parts, so the first part is up and that post will be updated progressively. It's not much so far but it's something.

Kronekodow interview translation [in progress]

I REALLY enjoy the story of how even though the album title discussion started out as everyone suggesting stuff, in the end Ringo browbeat them all into going along with what she wanted. Love it, love it.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 04:26 AM   #182
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So, weekly Oricon is released

Jihen is #1, with 82,396 copies sold. Most of the album chart this week was old albums. Behind them were Nishino Kana and Lady GaGa

To compare, Sports sold 106,831 in its first week, and was #1 every day.

DH was #2 on Friday and #3 on Saturday.

EDIT:
Also, they'll be at the TV Asahi Dream Festival 2011 on September 24th, alongside Kato Miliyah, J Soul Brothers, Perfume, and RIP SLYME.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.07.06 at 04:44 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 04:49 AM   #183
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
06. Kinjirareta Asobi
Love this. Did someone already make the Blackout comparison? They did? Let's do it again. It sounds like Blackout.At least the chorus does. And being that Blackout, whatever you may think of it, is hands-down one of my favorite Toyko Jihen songs, naturally I'm partial. Even the instrumentals are similar. As far as the verses go, I dunno, they're very bleak, which totally works, I guess. My top pick.
Didn't hear the Blackout comparison at first, until I actually listened to the drumline in the chorus. More or less the same as the drumline in the opening of Blackout: cymbal on the downbeats, bass on the third and fourth upbeats. Good ear!

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
First interview translation in progress... of course, a lot of snippets from it have already made their way onto the Twitter and been translated by me, but hey. Anyway, I'm going to post it as I complete the parts, so the first part is up and that post will be updated progressively. It's not much so far but it's something..
Thank you! (I now have a strong mental image of Shiina literally brainwashing the other four )

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Hm. Interesting take there. Why is EMI Japan to blame for the faults of the album?
Sorry, I said that without thinking. I tend to blame record labels for quickly-put-together albums, but...that probably doesn't apply here.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 09:46 AM   #184
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
Didn't hear the Blackout comparison at first, until I actually listened to the drumline in the chorus. More or less the same as the drumline in the opening of Blackout: cymbal on the downbeats, bass on the third and fourth upbeats. Good ear!

Thank you! (I now have a strong mental image of Shiina literally brainwashing the other four )

Sorry, I said that without thinking. I tend to blame record labels for quickly-put-together albums, but...that probably doesn't apply here.
EMI is actually up for bid to be brought. This could have actually been a rushed release.

Kinjirareta Asobi was also my favorite of the album. The KSK feel is what I caught onto more however.

I feel like the sole issue of this album...is it's mastering. Few of the songs play lead into the following well. I feel like there was supposed to be more here. Tengoku for tube also didn't serve well for the final track in my opinion. I might appreciate it more with a few more listens but feel this album was pretty messy.

I'm surprised that some of you really feel that way about Sports; enough to say that this was the better album. I cannot find it in myself to agree.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 10:37 AM   #185
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

here is how i rank the songs i like from the Discovery with the tokyo jihen phase 2 songs since Adult, im not gonna rank any songs i don't really like or care for
im not familiar with the track names off the new album yet so i will just put the track number as the title b/c im lazy to double check

sweet spot
shuruba single
3 min
himitsu
fair
track 8
zettai zetsumi
kimaru
kaban no nakami
tegami
track 12
track 6
gaman
get it up for love
track 10
ikiru - although the ultra C one would be much higher
pinochio
track 11 sora ga
denpa tsuushin
blackout
track 4
track 3
track 1
metro
tasogare naki
kabuki
utenkekko
kackiikusa
yukigini
keshou naoshi
osca

album wise: sports, discovery, adult,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,variety
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 02:36 PM   #186
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't get it.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 02:57 PM   #187
das_blibber

Location: Body: Cologne, Germany - Spirit: somewhere in this Universe
das_blibber is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
Education and Adult was still Ringo calling the shots which was stifling for the old guard. But I'm glad she bravely let go of the reigns and let her fellow composers flourish. Uki and Izawa were dudes who didn't have any reputation or albums of their own. Things turned out surprisingly well all things considered.

She does know that were primarily sticking with TJ because Shiina Ringo is in the band, doesn't she?
omg, you are pulling out my thoughts
but i would like to give out my love to kameda's way of playing the bass, too
... as long as shiina & kameda are a platonic team-o-love, i am eager for any SR/TJ-output
Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
I don't want izawa to leave after hearing how diverse his songs are. He's a better musical match with Ringo, and he pushes her vocal ability to the limit.
please dont tell me that he is leaving TJ?
Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
This album actually feels more like Kyouiku to me than any of the other albums because it has a very loosely defined theme which doesn't necessarily dictate the sound of the album. It feels like a reboot and a fresh start for the band. I hope going forward the band continues to work around loose themes and realize the importance of production and editing over writing songs to fit a certain label.
couldnt agree more

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
First interview translation in progress... of course, a lot of snippets from it have already made their way onto the Twitter and been translated by me, but hey. Anyway, I'm going to post it as I complete the parts, so the first part is up and that post will be updated progressively. It's not much so far but it's something.

Kronekodow interview translation [in progress]

I REALLY enjoy the story of how even though the album title discussion started out as everyone suggesting stuff, in the end Ringo browbeat them all into going along with what she wanted. Love it, love it.
Thank you!

off-topic monster

Last edited by das_blibber : 2011.07.06 at 03:11 PM. Reason: not double-posting ;-)
das_blibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 06:15 PM   #188
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I don't get it.
I stopped trying when I saw OSCA at the bottom.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 06:26 PM   #189
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

...you stopped when you reached the end?
Old 2011.07.06, 06:36 PM   #190
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

WTF is going on here, it's like reading 4chan almost :-/