Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.04.04, 05:33 PM   #4701
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Dananananaykroyd - Infinity Milk.
Old 2009.04.04, 05:58 PM   #4702
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Baghdad Sky-AYA

this is such a great song. its two bad she hasn't put out any work since her second album, she showed so much progression from her first album to her second who knows what she would do for her third.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.04, 06:15 PM   #4703
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Baghdad Sky-AYA

this is such a great song. its two bad she hasn't put out any work since her second album, she showed so much progression from her first album to her second who knows what she would do for her third.
Yeah. It's so sad when an artist just disappears from making music.. Especially her. She's bad ass.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.04, 06:28 PM   #4704
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
"smile forget... book" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o074kve6LwQ) appears in Chinese characters and English on my player as (笑忘书) Forgotten Letter After a Smile and (给自己的情书) Love Letter to Myself (it's there twice). It's a very graceful song, more music should be written in 6/8. (OT: I remembered this discussion on the forum of SR/TJ's triple-meter tunes: http://electricmole.net/showthread.p...8707#post18707)

Maybe there should be a Faye Wong thread since enough of us like her, I'd start it but I only knew her as a beautiful android in 2046 till this week .

Also: you also made me think of listening to The Smiths again, I think Meat is Murder was my favourite album of the ones I had .
You should totally check out Wong Kar Wai's (director of 2046) "Chungking Express". She really shines in that and it's seriously one of my favorite movies. However many times I've watched it I never get bored of it.

And 6/8ths... that's what makes that song so different! I'm always sad I can't spot out more things like that in music. The extent of my musical ear is being able to spot a waltz from a mile away. ^^;

Aaand yes! The Smiths are basically the love of my life. "Meat is Murder" is my favorite too, but they're all golden. Them and Ringo are my rock music obsessions -- having outlandish personalities, great command on one's own mother language, social awareness, appreciation of one's hometown/land, grand knowledge and appreciation of pop music history, and painfully catchy/beautiful songs is how I roll.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.04, 09:12 PM   #4705
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

The whole Dark is the Night album is pretty much awesome. Who would've thought that a charity album can have so many quality songs on it. Didn't even feel bad paying full price for the thing.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.04, 09:34 PM   #4706
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
Sufjan Stevens - You Are The Blood
Love that song, one of my favourites on the compilation. I wish he'd release a new album already! Illinois was ages out years ago now. It seems he's going to add more electronic and other elements to his music, going by this song and last years volume of Songs for Christmas. Should be interesting!!

Sufjan Stevens - They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhh!
Old 2009.04.04, 10:26 PM   #4707
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Bat For Lashes - Glass

Good song. Good album.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.05, 03:44 AM   #4708
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Polysics - Shout Aloud!
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.05, 02:24 PM   #4709
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
^^ That = quality.

For mizer_unmei: I saw Chungking Express 10 years ago around a friend's house, I must see it again. In The Mood For Love is terrific as well, but I've not seen any other Wong Kar Wai films.

As for Love Letter to Myself, I guess if I come across a song that sort of "dances" like that I count the beats to see if it's in 6/8 (or maybe 12/8 but I think that's for slower tempo songs and Love Letter's actually quite quick). My musical training (such as it was) is a while ago now .
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.05, 03:06 PM   #4710
merman

merman is an asset to this community

so_cold, watch 2046. It's a loose sequel to In The Mood For Love (which itself is said to be a loose sequel to Days of Being Wild - I haven't seen that - thus forming a trilogy of movies working as standalones as well), and a lot of people seem to prefer ITMFL a lot over 2046 which they find plain confusing and not making much sense, but that's a part of that movie's appeal.
ITMFL was pretty straightforward in its narrative, it was a really simple story of two people. 2046 however follows more characters than that, there are more sub-storylines that form the greater whole, and then there's the sci-fi dreamlike sequences... but if you just watch it and don't care about solving the question what the movie was really about, you'll be rewarded with one stylish, visually orgasmic and emotional movie, and I'm sure you'll draw your own conclusions about it afterwards. It's one of my favorites and I can't recommend it enough.

OK, now I've read mizer_unmei's post with the quote afterwards - looks like you've fallen in love with Fable!
merman is offline   Reply With Quote