Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.06.11, 01:51 PM   #1
pichuani

pichuani pleased at least somebody
Default The Many Faces of Stem / KuKi

A personal musical analysis of Ringo's epic track "Stem / KuKi" ...

http://divadamrau.blogspot.com/2011/...stem-kuki.html

Any input and/or feedback would be appreciated, as always!!
pichuani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.12, 09:38 AM   #2
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think Kuki\Stem is Shiina's best song and I love all versions of it, though my favorite is the original KSK album version with the japanese lyrics. i'm a bit disappointed that whenever she performs it live\re-records it she always sings the english version cause I think the japanese ver. has a special magic to it that is lost a bit in the english lyrics, I would die to hear the Heisei Fūzoku
ver. in japanese..

btw i'm new here, Hi..
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.15, 06:38 AM   #3
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Welcome matan-san, please introduce yourself in the New Members Thread in the EMF Lounge subforum

Pichuani, could you please not make a new thread each time you want to promote one of your blog posts? This subforum is already crowded with threads and I'd like to keep things as concise and non-bloated as possible. So just have one thread and update it when you want to advertise a new post.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.16, 09:21 AM   #4
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

To pichuani,
I was typing up some thoughts about your take on Kuki yesterday, but I lost them when Firefox crashed... so here's my second attempt.

Kuki had been one of my favourite songs of SR since I first came into contact with her music, but I found both the English version and the translation of the Japanese lyrics on Frecklegirl's website so obtuse that I had given up trying to understand what the song is about (this and many other songs also). So I'm glad that you're attempting to start a conversion about the lyrics.

In your blog, you suggest that Kuki is about confronting one's 'inner struggles' and overcoming them with a positive attitude. However, I'm inclined to think that the song paints a bleaker picture about life.
So, you might sow a clematis and make it grow
It might bloom and take a vivid color
But in an instant it silently falls down
From today on, the clematis might sprout, bloom and flower but I will not be too happy
Our precious life is only one, please do not keep on waiting

If we take the clematis as a metaphor for one's life, or the sowing as our life's endeavors, she appears to be lamenting on the temporary nature of life and its fruits. She does say - make the most of our one and only life, but what motivates her if her success doesn't give her any joy?
Do not cry and be puzzled, if you stand up you will not fall again
You do not need anything, it’s only one, please, please, someone, ah
Entry number one
And what does the cryptic last two lines mean? "Please, please, someone, ah!" sounds like a cry for help. How does that fit in with "You do not need anything" and "If you stand up you will not fall again"?
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote