Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.03.19, 02:45 AM   #21
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I really like Welcome to England. Fire To Your Plain is one of those songs I only listen to if I'm too lazy to reach for the skip button. how is this back to basics, though? I'm not even hearing FTCH in this.

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I think it has to do with the cover and people refusing to let their biased opinions based on the image go once they hear the actual music.
people say that about the covers? but they're complete opposites... the UTP cover = simplicity and purity while the AATS cover = extravagance and sensuality.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.19, 04:29 AM   #22
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Yeah, the similarity with FTCH ends with the electronic infusion which reminds me more of TVAB anyway, but again as I've already said, it's just because people just have to compare everything to everything.
I agree more with those who say Welcome to England reminded them of a crossover between Venus and Scarlet but even so, this is a distinct sound to me and one that I like.
Here's Fire To Your Plain which I probably like even better...

Fire To Your Plain

I'm getting pretty excited. I'm sure too that these three are the most commercial and radio friendly songs of them, since they were the three picked for radio, but even so they sound interesting and just plain good. If the whole album goes with this sound, I guess I'm going to LOVE it
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.19, 11:57 AM   #23
a_grumble_cake

gah... I don't like 500 Miles either. So far I only liked one track out of 3 :/
Old 2009.03.19, 01:01 PM   #24
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
gah... I don't like 500 Miles either. So far I only liked one track out of 3 :/
I mean based on the cover of the new album people made assumptions about sound and won't let it get. visually, pink and the new album share similarities, but only when you examine them together in the overall totality of her eras. the simplicity and kind of toned down nature.

the three songs she handed out are probably the more commercially accessible stuff on the album, the same way Big Wheel, Bouncing of Clouds, and Secret Spell were given out for ADP. The fact that two out of the 3 have synth work gets me excited. I haven't listened enough to make up an opinion, I've given WtE and FtyP one listen, and skimmed 500 Miles, so I'm mainly waiting for the shows this week.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.20, 12:13 AM   #25
merman

merman is an asset to this community

500 Miles is my least favorite of the bunch as well, but leave it to Tori fans to overdo everything. I've read opinions like it's worse than Ireland and what not, and expecting a total catastrophe I was actually pleasantly surprised after seeing everyone trash it at last.fm. But it's still that one I like the least of the three. Love the 2 others though.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.20, 05:55 PM   #26
kuro_neko

she played two new songs, Curtain Call and Lady in Blue, at the live showcase at SXSW. You can watch them both on youtube, or find them in the tour section at undented. quite interesting, very dark and more old school tori than anything she has done in a while.

in another interview she talked about how Maybe California is about suicide pertaining to mothers. specifically, about how a nurturing force can also be destructive, in this economy with so many mothers trying to provide and having their backs pressed up against a wall. curtain call and lady in blue seem somber as well, presented solo they are very dark, but I can hear a band fitting in to create a more mid tempo contemporary sound. I have a feeling this album is going to be a bit dark but presented in a kind of calm and contemporary shell. I think WtE is a good example of the sound and where I hope it will go. I can't help stream it over and over.

oh yeah, I forgot she played Mary Jane too, a song about pot, hah. She said the story stems from a real occurence in her life, about a conversation between a mom and her son, who asked to bring "mary jane over to the house," which the mother mistake to mean a girl and a kind of birds and bees situation, but the son simply meant pot. It seems very lightheared and silly, but kind of makes me wonder if it serves as light placeholder on the album to lift the mood from several darker heavier songs, at least thematically. Intriguing, very much so. At her radio appearance she didn't play any new songs, older songs like Crucify and Silent All These Years. But they have a LOT of emotional resonance and power in them this time around, so some fans are questioning where Tori is in her life and what has been going on if she connecting with these previous works and writing songs about mother's contemplating suicide etc.

oh and it also came out that Mary Jane will be the only song on the album not to have a visualette. Probably a smart choice, other than a visualette about the scenario involving pot being obvious, I imagine that despite Tori's extreme hipness she might want to avoid smoking up in an official video.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.03.20 at 11:00 PM.
Old 2009.03.22, 06:02 AM   #27
a_grumble_cake

thanks neko!
I'm going to have to wait for the studio version before I judge these tracks. I'm sure they sound very different with a the band, synth etc.

cute story about Mary Jane!
Old 2009.03.22, 01:41 PM   #28
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
thanks neko!
I'm going to have to wait for the studio version before I judge these tracks. I'm sure they sound very different with a the band, synth etc.

cute story about Mary Jane!
yeah same here. people on the forums are raving about CC and LiB but I can really see how they might get fudged on the album, similar to how Superstar was epic up until we heard the final production on Adult. yeck.

I can't get WtE out of my head, it just circulates up in there. I can't decide if I really like it or if its mediocre, but I can't stop with it in my head, oi.

tori also said in a recent interview that she will be unveiling some of the visualettes soon, so I suppose they will serve as the music videos. I'm guessing she will release the visualettes to go along with tracks previously release to the radio? Maybe WtE and FtyP for circulation? the rest will come with the special edition album on a dvd.
Old 2009.04.02, 12:33 AM   #29
kuro_neko

I hate posting twice in a row buuuut

someone got ahold of official lyrics at hereinmyhead.com for all but two songs, you can read over on the site.

also, she has scheduled a one off live show, Acoustically Attracted to Sin, for london at the end of this month, tickets got on sale friday.

and best of all, the video for Welcome to England premieres on yahoo music friday 12:00AM (midnight). woot woot
Old 2009.04.02, 02:19 AM   #30
a_grumble_cake

aw I thought neko's icon/sig was artwork from the new album and got excited for nothing. I really can't stand the current bored housewife trying to spice up her marriage cover.

Acoustically Attracted to Sin sounds awesome to an UTP girl like me.