Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.12.15, 06:45 PM   #51
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Idler Wheel sounded rough and raw, while Sugaring Season felt sweet and delicate. I think what made Beth Orton's other two albums appealing to me was the melding of trip-hop and folk, and when she just goes straight folk, what's separating her from the likes of say, Martha Wainwright? No lie, Stolen Car and Galaxy are my favorite tracks on each album though.

Actually, I listened to Sugaring Season on NPR before I listened to the others.

Blunderbuss is a "we'll see about that". I am currently loving it way more than any other White Stripes album, and my first (Icky Thump) I got sick of real fast.

Man, all of these end of year music lists depress me. Pitchfork is too obscure, Rolling Stones is too mainstream, and NPR has some balance but picks some wrong albums on both sides.

EDIT: Many, best of lists are hard. It's way easier for me to write about the albums that I hated the most this year (Mumford, Fun, TSwift, etc.) than the ones I actually enjoyed. And I want to pick Love This Giant but I don't know if it's an actual good album or my love for St. Vincent and David Byrne is just making me think it is.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.12.15 at 06:59 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.15, 07:09 PM   #52
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Stolen Car is a kick ass song. mahnword.gif
I find NPR to be more obscure than Pitchfork because they use a wider sample.
Love This Giant was a little too much for me. I appreciated it for what it was, but I didn't really feel like going back often.

I also agree with dg on Blunderbuss. I never really felt drawn to returning to it either even though there's nothing "wrong."

EDIT: what separates Beth Orton from Martha Wainwright? She can fill out an album, for one. Come Home to Mama could have been really great if it wasn't, in reality, like 6 songs long.
Old 2012.12.15, 07:20 PM   #53
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

This year, there's a wave of chick music being released...I bet it's the same every year.

Chara
Yasuha Kominami

Chatmonchy
石橋英子
Tenniscoats
Halcali
Mari Fukuhara
Urbangarde
Ueda Marie
神聖かまってちゃん
Kindan No Tasuketsu
つしまみれ
Wienners
Molice
0.8秒と衝撃。
Shonen Knife
スカートの中
Minakumari
Broken Doll
Cellzcellar
Lööf
Tomoe Shinohara
tricot
LAMA
nano.RIPE
bomi
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
MowMow LuLu Gyaban
Esu-Efu
イツエ
N'夙川ボーイズ
FLiP
きのこ帝国
My Dead Girlfriend
Mao Abe
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.15, 07:28 PM   #54
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

NPR is more willing to include artist outside the pop/rock genre and include both mainstream and indie. You can practically feel Pitchfork's disgust when they are forced to admit an album with mainstream acceptance was actually one of the best of the year. I can't get any jazz releases from Pitchfork.

Love This Giant may not be one of my favorites, but it contains probably my single favorite moment in a song. The apreggios midway through Lazarus are the guitar stylings Annie Clark stole from my dreams.

I guess I'll just get out and say it: Music is pretty much the only thing I can talk to my father about. When an album comes along that both of us can like and talk about, it's truly special to me.

Agreed about Come Home to Mama. I realized that my top 10 songs probably won't be from my top 10 albums. Persepina is definitely one of the top 10 songs of this year.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.12.15 at 07:51 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.20, 06:19 PM   #55
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
From its slow, doomey, get-the-cogs-turning opener “I Am Colossus” to the crushing riffage on songs like “The Demon’s Name Is Surveillance”, Meshuggah manage to surprise even the most hardened devotee while still retaining their integrity and power. The epic “Behind The Sun” is the real showstopper on here, it keeps building in intensity and just when you think it’s reached its peak… IT GETS MORE INTENSE. I love this album; it’s been a good party record, tried and true driving music, headphone and speaker friendly. Good for having a good ‘mosh’ or to sit back and really listen to the craftsmanship that went into this. If you can pick up the LP it’s probably the best way to enjoy it, though the CD master is by no means bad.
Awesome album. I didn't ever listen to Meshuggah 10 years ago when I was into this stuff. The Demon’s Name Is Surveillance!!
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.26, 12:07 PM   #56
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Christmas is over and now it's time switch gears and focus on the New Years Eve party! For your New Years preparations, I have prepared a Youtube playlist of my favorite songs of 2012.

As I compiled my playlist and heard each song in succession, it startled me how amazing 2012 was in music. Lots of talent, lots of great ideas, great new voices, fantastic follow-ups. I could hardly believe all these songs dropped in a twelve month span.

Take a listen, I am confident you will rock out and hope you'll find something new. If you were overwhelmed by my Albums write up, here's a place catch up. More importantly, check out all the amazing songs that I didn't represent in my album write up.

Put the list on shuffle, or leave it in the presented order if you want to hear the rough order I listened to things over the past two months (like, if that's something you are weirdly into.) I focused on live performances where sound quality was forgiving.

I hope your personal 2013 is as awesome as 2012 sounded!

2012 was a kick-ass year: The Playlist

includes such hits like:
The Feast - Katie Kim
Lai Zhe Mo Jie - Sa DingDing
Ima Read - Zebra Katz
Tesselate - Alt J
I’ve Seen Footage - Death Grips
Okay, Cupid - Kitty Pryde
The Apostate - Swans
Swing Lo Magellan - Dirty Projectors
Bright Whites - Kishi Bashi
Play - Iamamiwhoami
Werewolf - Fiona Apple
Spiteful Intervention - Of Montreal
Forrest Gump- Frank Ocean
Fete d’adieu - Deerhoof
Oblivion - Grimes
Ungirthed- Purity Ring
Dance for you - Dirty Projectors
Honeycomb - Animal Collective
Todays Supernatural - Animal Collective
Mind Mischief - Tame Impala
La Grande - Laura Gibson
Silent From Above - Mirrorring
Coral Blue - Converge
Open up your Arms - Ren Harvieu
Can you Believe it - Martha Wainwright
Atlas - Beth Jeans Houghton
Open Your Heart - The Men
So Long you Pretty Things - Spiritualized
Hey Jane - Spiritualized
In Difference - Holy Other
Take Me Home - Perfume Genius
Kill For Love - Chromatics
Poetic Justice - Kendrick Lamar
The Lion’s Roar - First Aid Kit
Through the Trees pt 2 - Mount Eerie
Wild - Beach House
On the Sea - Beach House
Acrobat - Angel Olsen
CMYK- BADBADNOTGOOD
Crack Rock - Frank Ocean
Skin Moth - Torche
Watch the Corners - Dinosaur Jr.
Leonard - Sharon Van Etten
Do You Want to Die Together? - Stars
Last Land - Jon Talabot
Only in My Dreams - Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
Hanging Around - Rose Elinor Dougall
The Jones - Pile
This is Ekstasis - Julia Holter
Putty Boy Strut - Flying Lotus
Heart Beat - Chris Cohen
Baby Boy - Pile
Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - Kendrick Lamar
The Killing Joke - Captain Murphy
Bend Beyond - Woods
Our Song - The Xx
Will We Be Scared - Thee Oh Sees
Reagan - Killer Mike
Plumage - Menomena
Serpentine - Actress
Simple Song - The Shins
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift
R.A.P. Music - Killer Mike
Board up the House - Baroness
Cocanium - Baroness
Wednesday -  Wolf Alice 
The Ballad of Failure - The Boats
Make it Known - Foxygen
Eighth Avenue - Hospitality
Krokodil - St. Vincent
We Will Commit Acts of Wolf Murder - Of Montreal
DoYaThing - Gorillaz
Nancy From Now On - Father John Misty
Objectum Sexuality - Big Boi
Cherokee - Cat Power
The Party - Regina Spektor

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.12.26 at 12:50 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.28, 01:41 PM   #57
Inseu

One of the best album covers of 2012 (and of all time), the kind of album cover that makes one feel. I highly recommend it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 710Fg3p1qwL._AA1500_.jpg (180.0 KB, 1 views)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.28, 01:49 PM   #58
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^even Salyu fans find that album boooooring, right Carlx? :-p
Old 2012.12.29, 05:18 PM   #59
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I thought I’d get this last bit in just before 2012 ends:

Deadgrandma’s honorable and dishonorable mentions list:

Best single/split: Boris/Joe Volk. Yeah this little beast is quite the must listen for any Boris fans, their side is just amazing and rocks harder than a motherfucker in the middle section. It’s surrounded by 2 beautiful ambient/drone segments too, so you basically get the best of everything.

Best troll: Muse: The 2nd Law- the album I’m still laughing at because of the fan reaction. Why???? It’s no different from most Muse to me. The dubstep part only lasts what, 30 seconds? But still, made for some really fun reading.

Best guilty pleasure: Ayumi Hamasaki- Party Queen- yeah I know what you’re thinking. Worst Ayumi Hamasaki album since Secret, right. Well, most likely, doesn’t mean I can’t still dig her whoring tracks and cheesy big band numbers on this little bastard.

Best compilation: Jun Togawa- Mushi no Onna: Miki Ninagawa Selection- yeah, its another Jun Togawa compilation, but once again, it feels really well put together. I like the fact that a lot of these tracks have opted for original mastering instead of the remastering that we’re all so used to. The new live version of Mushi No Onna really rubbed me the right way too :-p

Best vinyl packaging:Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness Reissue- I love the packaging here, gorgeous indeed. Pity about the grammar in the book :-p

Worst album cover: Tori Amos- Gold Dust- what a stinking dog turd. I feel the need to mosaic it like the Japs mosaic genitalia.

Biggest letdown: Mars Volta- Noctotourniquet: I’ve been a pretty cool Mars Volta fan over the years. Never really complained about anything they’ve done unlike a lot of fans. But something just doesn’t sit right with this album. It’s really messy, brickwalled and the fun parts are only fun because they’re so painful. I instantly forgot about it after about 2 weeks.

Most overrated/overhyped album:Godspeed You! Black Emperor- 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!- I’m sure its not a bad album. But I’m certain it’s not a great album either. TBH I found this exhausting and well, boring, Sorry to those who love it :-/ Runner up in this category was Deftones- Koi no Yokan- because just HAHAHAHA.

Biggest train wreck/worst fucking album this year: Tori Amos- Golddust. Ahhh god, I knew that I wasn’t going to like this. But she blew my mind with how bad it was. Songs that don’t need the classical treatment and others that were a sin to touch like this. At the end of this neutered version of Yes, Anastasia I felt the way she sounds on Me and a Gun. Awful, awful, awful.

The "Just Give Up" Award: Marilyn Manson- Born Villain OR Smashing Pumpkins- Oceania. These are albums that just should be ignored.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.12.29 at 06:07 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.29, 07:39 PM   #60
Inseu

10 albums in which the singer sounds like a complete wanker:

Grizzly Bear - Shields
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
Alt-j - An Awesome Wave
Scott Walker - Bish Bosch
Animal Colletive - Centipede Hz
Allo Darlin' - Europe
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Death Grips - Corner Cock

10 albums that I don't need to listen to because they came to me in a dream:

Swans - The Seer
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Beach House - Bloom
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Bob Dylan - Tempest
Overkill - The Electric Age
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Nas - Life Is Good

Album that reminds me of good old days:

Wild Nothing - Nocturne

Most interesting western albums of 2012 I heard (based on few listens):

Chrome Canyon - Elemental Themes